It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Very sick and in debt

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
JonnyFB421
(male)

JonnyFB421 HB User
Very sick and in debt

Hello,
I was told I have hyperthyroidism when I was about 12, but for no good reason never got on any medication for it. I have always had some pretty bad hand tremors and slight insomnia, but until today had not realized that was even related to hyperthyroidism. I've always had a very large appetite. When I was 18 I got a decent paying job and started packing on the pounds until I got to a plump 245.

One day I got nauseous and started to vomit a lot of thick dark blood. After that I started vomiting every month for 1-2 days, but there was only blood a few more times but it was bright red and there wasn't nearly as much. Diarrhea and constipation also became a close friend in my life around this time. About the same time this started I became extremely anxious with my relationships & friendships which I had never experienced. My appetite changes dramatically throughout the month, some days I can eat a large breakfast and lunch and still finish a frozen pizza by myself, but as the month goes on I start to lose my appetite and get full after a few bites of anything. I start to get very sick once my appetite has vanished. Within 5 months of this starting I had lost 100 pounds. I had an ER visit or two but because I was uninsured they just gave me the boot after seeing I wasn't going to die. The cycle continues but I stop losing weight. My nausea stopped for a couple months and I was hoping better, but then I got so sick I needed someone to take me to the hospital. I was shaking, sweating, my heart was racing, vomiting, diarrhea, and drifting out of consciousness thinking I might die. This time the ER staff was a lot more concerned, but weren't able to figure anything out and once I was stable for a while I got the boot yet again. I'm many thousands of dollars in debt by this point from the ER visits. My family convinced me getting insurance and seeking treatment was the best option, so that's what I did. I had an endoscopy which showed nothing but my insides being inflamed from so much vomiting. Many more tests and visits to a gastrologist without finding the cause. Then I hit another brickwall, my insurer (BCBS) deemed it a pre-existing condition and revoked coverage for all my tests leaving me well over $20,000 in debt. I didn't know an undiagnosed illness could be a pre-existing condition, but they made it very clear they would not cover any trips to the doctor or hospital for anything to do with vomiting or diarrhea. I dropped their coverage shortly after. The last set of blood tests my doctor noticed I had a hyperactive thyroid, but we weren't able to discuss it due to BCBS denying the coverage.

Leaving out the hematemesis (which only happened a few times) the rest of my symptoms match up to hyperthyroidism. Could hyperthyroidism really be so severe? I only briefly read up on Thyroid storm which sounded like what I experienced but I understand that's very rare. If it is possible what is my best treatment options? If you don't believe this is the cause of hyperthyroidism do you have any guesses of what it may be?

Last edited by JonnyFB421; 04-06-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread