It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Recieved the worst call!!!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
kappy1
(male)

kappy1 HB User
Recieved the worst call!!!

My wife just got the news from her surgeon after her thyroid surgery, that the nodule was cancer. is this just a precaution that there is no more , she has to do the radiation iodine, how long are the treatments usually, thanks for any input about the next step...and how long. only been a little over a week since the surgery.

Last edited by kappy1; 04-06-2012 at 07:15 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #2
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Recieved the worst call!!!

First, you can get a second opinion at a top hospital for cancer to determine if she really needs the RAI---philosophies are changing, and places like sloane kettering rarely recommend it these days.

I had RAI---it is one pill. She should make sure that she can get thyrogen (it's been low in inventory the past year or so), they will give her a shot, so she doesn't have to go without thyroid meds. Then she will have her pill/scans. Depending upon the dose, she should stay away from others (including you) for a few days, stay in her own room, clean up after herself in the bathroom, eat on paper plates etc. If you have kids, they should stay away from her for about a week or so.

Then she is done, and should, for a few years, take enough thyroid hormone so that her tsh level is suppressed, and thyroid tissue will not grow back.

Get a great endocrinologist with a lot of thyroid cancer experience to work with---anyone can manage her later, but in the beginning, get someone who knows a lot about this.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #3
kappy1
(male)

kappy1 HB User

thank you Reese, can you just call a cancer center, and discuss over the phone? or do you need to make an appointment with a doctor? the thyroid pill she takes is 100 mcg levothyoxine, her surgeon told us that it was good the nodule was not outside her thyroid, he was almost certain it was not cancerous because of the location, this RAI is for preventitive steps, to make sure there is no more cancerous cells? also what about pets, we have a cat, personally if she can take the pill, I am not worried about being around her. we have no kids either. will she get sick? sorry about so many questions. thanks again

Old 04-10-2012, 06:04 AM   #4
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

If you call let's say sloane kettering---or md anderson, ask for the endocrinology department and ask for doctors that handle thyroid cancer, and then speak to the secretary to make an appointment. You can also look on the hospital website to find the right doctor and then call the secretary.

It sounds like she had pappillary? If so, at sloane, they believe if it doesn't leave the capsule of the tumor, it doesn't need RAI (they don't even believe it's cancer).

The purpose of the RAI is to destroy all remnant tissue, so it's easy to follow up and make sure there's no "recurrence" which actually means that there is no thyroid tissue at all growing back.

Small pets--like a cat, should be out for at least 3 days, if not a week, and should not be on her lap for that time period. She will be an xray machine that is on, once she takes the pill---you shouldn't sleep within 6 feet of each other for a week depending upon her dose. It would effect your thyroid in a few years.

I was with my parents the first 3 days, I sat far away from them, mostly stayed in my room. Then when i went home, my husband slept on the floor away from me, because the hours of sleep were too much exposure. Little by little it leaves your body. You don't really feel sick.

Closed Thread