It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Ft4 & tt3

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
sachi201
(female)

sachi201 HB User
Ft4 & tt3

I'm am at my wits end. (as I'm sure many of you can relate) My latest labs are as follows. Can someone please offer advise.

I'm currently taking 50 mcg of levothyroxine

free t4 1.48 ng/dL (0.59-1.61)
total t3 0.90 mcg/mL (0.7 - 1.9)
TSH 0.88 mIU/L (0.34-4.82)

I have still been struggling with being lethargic, achey joints, constipation, plus many other symptoms.

Since these results, doc placed me on 25 mcg cytomel bc of the above (and more) symptoms. I've been taking this for a week. When do you suspect I'd see improvement. I will do more labs first week of may.

Any advise?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
sammy64
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User
Re: Ft4 & tt3

Cytomel is appropriate based upon your labs although it would be better if your doctor checked your FreeT3 level. (the total T3 not only measures FreeT3 which is the only form of T3 that is usable by the body but, also T3 that is bound to proteins and not usable by the body)

I know 25mcg Cytomel is listed as the starting dose in the prescribing information but, please know that most people start off with lower doses. And, due to the short half-life of Cytomel (T3), many people choose to divide the daily dose into two/day - usually in the morning and around 6 hours later.

People usually feel the effects of starting Cytomel within 2-3 days but, maximum benefit might not be evident until the FreeT3 level has been optimized.

What did your doctor recommend? How are you faring?

Last edited by sammy64; 04-09-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
sachi201
(female)

sachi201 HB User

Thanks for this reply Sammy64. I will be sure to have doc check the free T3 on my next blood labs. That will be the week of May 7th. Oddly, I still feel quite tired all the time,
even with the 25 cytomel. I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting out of bed in the morning. I feel still like I'm in a fog all day.

This is my family pcp. He admittedly told me he was in somewhat unfamiliar territory however, he said he was happy to work with me based on my longtime symptoms. We also found a tumor on my thyroid. (I've had ultra sound, scan, FNA etc) He wants to watch that closely. I will have an ultra sound in june on the tumor again.) He also said if it comes a point where he doesn't feel comfortable OR can't help my symptoms he'll gladly refer me to endo. I'm comfortable with him but, also comfortable enough to say. refer me.

Any suggestions? Higher/lower dose of T4 or T3? I'm SO frustrated. Maybe I should have him refer me instead of attempting to get right doses with him.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachi201 View Post
Oddly, I still feel quite tired all the time,
even with the 25 cytomel. I'm having a great deal of difficulty getting out of bed in the morning. I feel still like I'm in a fog all day.
A week is a short time on Cytomel, if you're deeply hypoT it may take longer to recover. I know it took me like 6 weeks to see the real benefits of my T3 med.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:41 AM   #5
sachi201
(female)

sachi201 HB User

THANK YOU! I will continue this treatment and wait for my next blood work. I'm not certain what you mean by deeply hypo. (would that be severe symptoms?) I'm not sure if my blood work considers me to be deeply hypo.

I really appreciate your responses.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
sachi201
(female)

sachi201 HB User

THANK YOU! I will continue this treatment and wait for my next blood work. I'm not certain what you mean by deeply hypo. (would that be severe symptoms?) I'm not sure if my blood work considers me to be deeply hypo.

I really appreciate your responses.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
I'm not certain what you mean by deeply hypo. (would that be severe symptoms?)
Yes . I don't think labs tell the whole truth either (I have noticed this on several occasions ), if you feel like a complete zombie I'd say you're very hypoT.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #8
sammy64
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
Maybe I should have him refer me instead of attempting to get right doses with him.
I don't know if I'd be in a rush to do this.

You see, those of us who have achieved wellness learned to understand our labs and how they correlate to symptoms.

You would really need to do this with any doctor you see.

Not all doctors are willing to prescribe Cytomel and it's clear you need it.

Dosing is really a matter of trial and error while making educated decisions based upon labs.

Right now, your FreeT4 level is in a good place so, there isn't a need for a T4 dose adjustment. Your TT3 level shows the need for Cytomel.

There's a chance you will have the common experience of your FreeT4 level decreasing after starting T3.

Since no one can predict the future, we all have to wait and see what a particular dose will accomplish.

So far, you're on the right track. If you keep checking in on here, we'll do our best to help you stay there.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #9
sachi201
(female)

sachi201 HB User

THANK YOU again for this encouraging response. I guess then, I should count my blessings that my PCP is willing to work with me. I'll hang in there and keep you posted. I can't believe how well informed you are! I really appreciate you taking the time to help. This is all so new to me!

Closed Thread