It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Hi... new here, with a Anti-TPO level of 509

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-11-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
ManoliaDee
(female)

ManoliaDee HB User
Question Hi... new here, with a Anti-TPO level of 509

Hi there...

I just got my results from a recent blood draw... and my Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody level came in at 509. The reference range is below 35.

A little history...
I'm 37 years old and was diagnosed Hypo back when I was 18. I've been on 0.1 mg of eltroxin ever since. The level has never changed... but Ō've never felt good since before the diagnosis (always tired).

I did some searching to find out what this means, and I think it indicates that I have Hashimoto's. Another thing I've found is that Selenium may help.

Is there anything I can/should do to correct this? I read that it should not be left to continue.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Sandra

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hi... new here, with a Anti-TPO level of 509

You can't completely eliminate TPO antibodies. A daily selenium supplement of 100 mcgs might reduce them by as much as 40%, but it's pretty pointless to attempt it at this point in your hypothyroid timeline. Hashimoto's is the cause of your hypothyroidism, but it doesn't change your treatment. Fewer antibodies won't make you feel any better, because antibodies don't produce symptoms. The selenium may help convert some additional T4 to T3, however, which could make you feel better. So, try the selenium, but don't overdo it; it can be toxic in large doses. Consider all the sources of selenium in your diet and multi-vitamin (if you take one) before you add any additional from a separate Se supplement.

It's likely you've had TPO Abs for years and just didn't know it till now. Don't worry too much about it. It doesn't change anything.

Closed Thread