It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• T3 Cytomel Replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
    mvandame
    (female)

mvandame HB User
    T3 Cytomel Replacement

About two years ago my TSH was on the slightly high end of the new standards. .3 - 3.0. My total thryoid was low normal. I have been taking a small T3 replacement, 5 mcg of Cytomel. Although I feel better; joint pain and stiffness relieved somewhat my new numbers just came in. Free T4 is .8 and my TSH is 2.09. This to me is an indication that I am still producing inadaquate T4. My doctor is great but thinks it is a normal reading. Also my cholestrol is 223, although the ratios are good HDL 70 but LDL is still at 130. My blood pressure is up slightly after having years of low blood pressure. I think my body is slightly off and not functioning correctly. I eat a very healthy diet and exercise everyday. My weight remains at a setpoint about 15 lbs higher than it should be. I think I may need a T4 replacement along with the T3. Any comments or insight would be much appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: T3 Cytomel Replacement

T3-only is rarely a satisfactory plan to treat low thyroid. T4 stores are every bit as important as the FT3 level. The brain (and I think muscles) need a supply of T4 to convert on site. It (they) can't make use of T3 directly. So yes... I agree you need a T4 supplement. You're a good candidate for porcine thyroid med, since you need both hormones.

Suggest to your MD that trying to make do with FT4 of .8 when you need it higher would be like a shoe salesman insisting on selling him a size 10 shoe when his foot measures 12. Ask how he'd like that.

The following user gives a hug of support to midwest1:
    mvandame (04-12-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    mvandame (04-12-2012)
    Closed Thread