It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

I have a question.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
Songbird55
(female)

Songbird55 HB UserSongbird55 HB User
I have a question.

This seems weird to me. Tell me if it seems weird to you.
My friend has recently gotten on 90 mg of Armour, after having been on 112 mg. of Synthroid.
She felt great for a week and is now sick again.
She got her labs back today. (she had to insist upon the Free T3 test)
Is this wierd for her Free T3 to be high?
She doesn't have the antibodies for Graves or Hashi's, just like me.

Free T3 5.4 (H) (2.3-4.2)
Free T4 .96 (.64-1.79)
TSH 4.71 (H) (.465-4.68)

She's having hypo symptoms, but with that Free T3 being high, is that still hypothyroidism? Do you think she needs more or less of the Armour?

She has a GP and almost had to twist his arm to get the prescription for Armour.
His response to the labs today?
" You have to wait until May 13. It's too soon to get a true reading."
Is that right?
I have "multidocaphobia"! I don't trust most of then, now!
She's been on the Armour now for 2 weeks.
She has tried getting into one of the top thyroid docs, but they are not accepting new medicaid patients. She is on disability due to chronic fatigue, and fibromialgia, probably just masking severe thyroid disease.
I told her I would come and ask my thyroid nannies what their opinions are, as I trust you them more than most doctors I have spoken to. Thanks, if you have time to answer. Take care of the emergencies, first, of course! Robin
P.S. Did you know the Board about Gluten Intolerance has NO ONE answering people like this board does? You just type to yourself over there! We are all so blessed to have people answering us here!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #2
Spencer1
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User
Re: Sammy, Lisa, Midwest, I have a question.

Songbird55, do you feel great with those lab values? Are those values your "sweet spot" where you are essentially symptom free?

Did you ever have any exercise intolerance?

TSH 2.77 (Range: 0.40 - 4.50)
Free T4 1.2 (Range: 0.8 - 1.8) (40 percent of range)
Free T3 3.5 (Range: 2.3 - 4.2) (63.2 percent of range)
Reverse T3 27 (11-32)
Thyroid Antibodies (ATA, TPO) NONE

Those are my labs and I am still miserable. I do not feel like I will ever get better.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

After just two weeks on a med, it is too soon to test. I'm kind of surprised any MD agreed to order tests.

That said, I suspect she took her Armour sooner than 6 hours before the blood draw. Taking med within a few hours of the draw skews the "real" FT levels. The high spike in her FT3 may have been caused by something as simple as that. (I assume FT3 was low before the Armour, which is why is was prescribed.)

As a reminder, whenever FT4 is going to be measured, T4 meds (Synthroid, levothyroxine, et al) and natural T4-containing meds should not be taken within 6-8 hours of the blood draw.

Whenever FT3 will be measured, Cytomel or natural dessicated meds should not be taken within about 6 hours of the draw.

Levels of TSH, total T4, total T3 are not affected by taking meds before the blood draw. If an MD tests only TSH and/or either of the other two tests, you don't have to skip your med before the draw.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Songbird55
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer1 View Post
Songbird55, do you feel great with those lab values? Are those values your "sweet spot" where you are essentially symptom free?

Did you ever have any exercise intolerance?

TSH 2.77 (Range: 0.40 - 4.50)
Free T4 1.2 (Range: 0.8 - 1.8) (40 percent of range)
Free T3 3.5 (Range: 2.3 - 4.2) (63.2 percent of range)
Reverse T3 27 (11-32)
Thyroid Antibodies (ATA, TPO) NONE

Those are my labs and I am still miserable. I do not feel like I will ever get better.
Hey there! The labs in my signature are my most recent and yes! I think that is my sweet spot! It was my first attempt with natural thyroid, too, which sounds like a miracle to me.
I've lost five pounds this month, thank you, Jesus!
Now before, when I was busy trying to die, I couldn't walk to the next room without doubling over and gasping.
My husband fed me, many times. I had to sit in the shower and couldn't wash my own hair. I'm telling ya, I was on the way out!
Now, I'm back on the treadmill, going full steam just like I had good sense.
I'm bee-bopping around like I used too.They say everyone is different and I'm so still learning all of this, but if I have this right, and I may very well not, we feel better with a lower tsh than you have, like closer yo one or a little below? And maybe your Free T4 should be like in the 60% range instesd of the 40% range? Sammy, is that what you told me, or did I dream it?
Now, how to get you there, I have no idea, but these ladies DO. TRUST THEM.
They helped to save my life!
What are you taking and how much are you taking? When is the last time you had your labs done?

Old 04-13-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Spencer1
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

Songbird55 - thanks so much! What meds and dosages are you on? I am so jealous you are all better. I cannot even imagine being debilitated anymore.

Old 04-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Songbird55
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
After just two weeks on a med, it is too soon to test. I'm kind of surprised any MD agreed to order tests.

That said, I suspect she took her Armour sooner than 6 hours before the blood draw. Taking med within a few hours of the draw skews the "real" FT levels. The high spike in her FT3 may have been caused by something as simple as that. (I assume FT3 was low before the Armour, which is why is was prescribed.)

As a reminder, whenever FT4 is going to be measured, T4 meds (Synthroid, levothyroxine, et al) and natural T4-containing meds should not be taken within 6-8 hours of the blood draw.

Whenever FT3 will be measured, Cytomel or natural dessicated meds should not be taken within about 6 hours of the draw.

Levels of TSH, total T4, total T3 are not affected by taking meds before the blood draw. If an MD tests only TSH and/or either of the other two tests, you don't have to skip your med before the draw.
Yes Ma'am! I'm telling her now! Thank you!!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
Songbird55
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer1 View Post
Songbird55 - thanks so much! What meds and dosages are you on? I am so jealous you are all better. I cannot even imagine being debilitated anymore.
I take Nature-throid. I take one and a half pills that are 32.5 mg. So I guess I take 48.75 mg? Is it maybe a little more than 3/4 of a grain?

Closed Thread