It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

newly diagnosed, questions

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
mnice
(female)

mnice HB User
newly diagnosed, questions

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

i was just diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism by my family Dr. and I'm just looking for opinoins with what was done if I should follow up and go to an Endocrinologist or if the plan is good. Below is a list of my symptoms, tests/results and medications.

Symptoms:
-whole body itches all the time, back more than anything
-heart palpataions, feels like my heart pounding hard in my chest
-fatigue
-nervousness/anxiety
-and my eyesight has gotten worse over the past year
I probably have more symptoms, but dont know all of them

Tests:
Blood: (I hope i'm not confusing the "T's" lol)

T4free- 5.6
T3- over 800
TSH - less than .01
Phosphorus is high, but barely, i think 4.7
Vitamin D 25
Glucose 102

Thyroid Uptake and Ultrasound. Per the radiologist reading of the ultradsound, its enlarged and shows signs of hashimoto thyroiditis, but no further explanation.

Diagnosis: Hashimoto Thyroiditis and Hyperthyroidism

Medication: Methimazole 10mg every 8 hrs
Vitamin D 50,000 2x/wk
Metroprolol 25mg 1x/day as needed

from what i've read, hashimoto is related to hypo not hyper.

please provide any input, thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Craigkne123
(male)

Craigkne123 HB User
Re: newly diagnosed, questions

Hi I'm so glad you've posted this on here because I'm going through the exact same thing.well almost
Im in the process of getting all my blood results back, the ones I can remember were

T4 28 and tsh untraceable

I was put on meds and it came down then I asked my doc for antibodies test which came back saying I had the antibodies found in people with hashimitos . I was confused like you thinking why have I been diagnosed with hyperT , and hashi is associated with hypoT . After research and some helpful people on here I was told that hashis can start with you being high then go low, or even have graves and at the same time I will post my results on here for you to look at when I get a print out of them,
If you still have the symptoms whilst on medication ask for some beta blockers of your doctor they stopped all my heart palipitations and anxiety in hours.

I hope you feel better .

Old 04-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #3
ann1209
(female)

ann1209 HB Userann1209 HB Userann1209 HB User

it helps if you put the ranges of the blood work due to labs are different. My tsh was .01 and I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism/graves disease. Good Luck

Old 04-24-2012, 02:24 PM   #4
sammy64
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Welcome!

Sorry for the reason you're here but, glad you found us.

If your family doctor is willing to treat you, I see no reason to seek the care of an endocrinologist. Based upon my personal experience and what I've read in almost 5 years' worth of thyroid forum participation, most endos have no idea how to properly treat any type of thyroid disease.

Now, it will be to your benefit to learn how to understand your labs. Reason being - we don't always "feel" our levels until after we've started to develop symptoms so, it's best to try to maintain levels that are similar to the types of levels healthy people have: FreeT4 above mid-range and usually closer to the high end of the range.

Dosing for anti-thyroid drugs is always based upon the FreeT4 level, regardless of TSH.

I suspect that the result you listed for "T3" is actually a TPOab antibody test result. 800 is a common level for someone with Hashi's but, Graves' patients can also test positive for TPOab's.

It would be a good idea to confirm or rule out Graves' with a simple TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin) blood test.

If you don't have Graves', then you are most likely in a not-too-uncommon stage of Hashi's hyperthyroidism that will eventually evolve to hypothyroidism.

Please know that you should start to feel better within a few weeks' time - especially since your doctor is having you take your meds over the course of the day. This feels better and bodes best for healing.

I hope you will be having labs within 6-8 wks. because that is the usual amount of time it takes for the FreeT4 level to get back into range. Once this happens, the starting dose is usually halved. Moving forward from there, the dose will continue to be reduced to maintain an appropriate FreeT4 level.

Please feel free to ask any questions that may come to mind....we're all in this together.

Hope you feel better soon!

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
Craigkne123 (04-24-2012)
Closed Thread