It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Please help, I think I have an enlarged thyroid and am scared...

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
kingsea3
(male)

kingsea3 HB User
Please help, I think I have an enlarged thyroid and am scared...

Over the past month and a half I have noticed weird symptoms in my thyroid area. I ignored it for a while, thinking it was just a soar throat or some random illness and would subside. However, it has started to become bothersome. I have a sensation of fullness on the left side near my thyroid. It also clicks often and I can feel it move up and down sometimes when I swallow. I looked in the mirror a few times over the past few weeks and cannot see anything definitive. It does look like the thyroid area is slightly swollen. Also, I believe I see the left side protrude more when I swallow. I have also had shortness of breath occasionally and some nights it bothers me when I lie down.

I am a law student and am constantly stressed and busy, and rarely get proper nutrition or more than 5 or 6 hours of sleep a night. Also, I remember my ten year old cousin about 3 months ago commenting on how my voice sounded different, but I never really noticed and thought nothing of it at the time because the symptoms had not occurred yet. I also take ADD medicine (vyvance) and medicine for hair loss (avodart). I started losing my hair at the onset of law school and attributed it to stress. However, now I am second guessing that. Also, I lost a significant amount of weight over the past few months, but attributed that to my new ADD medicine because it suppresses my appetite quite a bit. I cannot tell if these symptoms signify a thyroid problem, or the fact that the medicine I take may have led to a possible thyroid problem. As mentioned before, I am also CONSTANTLY stressed because of law school. I find myself poking and prodding the area a lot to, and wonder if this led to any inflammation. My left eye always bothers me, it seems to get blurry and is always dry. However, this has been a problem for a few years.

Anyways, it is hard to say determinatively if I have the symptoms of thyroid disorder, or if they result from stress/medication. However, I am freaking out! I am only 23, I cant have cancer can I? I dont have health insurance and am in a rock and a hard place regarding getting any treatment for cancer, let alone some other thyroid disorder. I can hardly afford to put food on the table as I am in debt from school.

My mom does always hassle me about getting my thyroid checked since it "runs in my family" according to her (my grandpa has had thyroid problems in the past). I am a male also, which is weird, I thought these disorders were more common in women. Also, I heard that thyroid disorders can slowly manifest themselves over a period of years. I have been suffering hair loss, yo-yo weight loss and gain, and the left eye problem for quite some time. I am wondering if I should have attributed these symptoms to a greater cause when I first noticed them, as it now may be too late.

PLEASE give me any advice! Any! I am seriously freaking out. I do not want cancer, it is a huge fear of mine. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #2
Craigkne123
(male)

Craigkne123 HB User
Re: Please help, I think I have an enlarged thyroid and am scared...

If it runs in family then you should get it checked out , if you've lost weight it usually indicates hyperthyroidism . What other symptoms have you had if any
Have you had any of the following

.heat in tolerance
.rapid heart beat
Constipation
Anxiety
These are the symptoms I had when I was told I had hyperthyroidism but there are lots and everybody is different and get different symptoms.

Ps you really need to get your thyroid function test done.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #3
kingsea3
(male)

kingsea3 HB User

It is weird, I have had all those symptoms at various times in my life...
(1) Suffered from a huge period of anxiety for about 3 months in the summer of 2008
(2)

Old 04-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #4
kingsea3
(male)

kingsea3 HB User

It is weird, I have had all those symptoms at various times in my life...
(1) Suffered from a huge period of anxiety for about 3 months in the summer of 2008
(2) I have always suffered from insomnia
(3) I have been getting night sweats for as long as I can remember and always sleep with the window open, even in the winter
(4) Hair loss began about 4 years ago
(5) Hair and nails have always seemed to grow faster than most peoples
(6) My heart has skipped a beat since I was a kid, my mom says its an arrhythmia I've had since birth
(7) I have gotten a feeling like something is stuck in my throat while trying to fall alseep for about a year and a half
(8) Throat seems to twitch alot, and I get pain on the left side by the thyroid. It seems to click when I swallow to
(9) I have trouble breathing sometimes, but always thought it was allergies
(10) Ive lost a lot of weight the past few months, but I started taking the ADD drug and then it happened, and my doctor said this was a side effect of it

Anyways, I havent had any of these symptoms in unison, but they have occurred at various points the past couple years. Is it possible that I was predisposed to a thyroid condition for quite a while, but it recently manifested itself from some aggravating factor, such as stress from school and the medications I am taking.

Please let me know, thanks for the help.

I hope it is not cancer, I am worried I ignored a treatable disease and now I have something more severe because I thought these symptoms were just random occurrences.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Craigkne123
(male)

Craigkne123 HB User

. I'd say you definatley have a thyroid problem it's very common. And the only way you will put your mind at ease is to get blood tests done. Is so important that you have the bloods taken I cannot stress enough I live in uk so it's free. But there must be somehow you can afford to get it sorted. .

I too have had weight loss
Night sweats
Palpitaions. Anxiety
And it was all to do with the thyroid
I still do t know the reason for my hyperT I'm in middle of more tests and I have type one diabetes so I get blood checked every 6 months it was only through this the docs noticed my thread was malfunctioning I didn't go to the doctors when I had symptoms I thought it was me being a hypercondriact .
I don't think it's cancer I went trough the same emotions .

GET YOUR BLOOD CHECKED LOL

Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #6
Reece
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

Just to put your mind at ease, thyroid disease (graves/hyperthyroid, or hashimotos/hypothyroid) has nothing to do with thyroid cancer. Thyroid cancer usually has only one symptom---a nodule growing, which you walk around with for years before you even know it's there often---and you find it during an ultrasound of the thyroid.

Thyroid disease such as graves has the symptoms you are describing, and sometimes it causes the thyroid to grow and enlarge.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
sammy64
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Symptoms can be confusing - labs don't lie.

As already suggested, please ask your doctor for some comprehensive thyroid bloodwork.

Here are the tests you'll need and, in parentheses, how they might look on a lab slip:

FreeT4 (T4 or thyroxine, free, direct)
FreeT3 (tri-iodothyronine, free, serum)
TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone)

Since most cases of thyroid disease are autoimmune in nature, you'll also want the following antibody tests:

TPOab (thyroid peroxidase antibody)
TGab (thyroglobulin antibody)
TSI (thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin)

Once you get the results, you can post them here for interpretation. Please be sure to post the reference ranges for each result since different labs use different ranges and your results can only be properly interpreted within the context of your lab's ranges.

Hang in - we'll help you sort through everything.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
kingsea3
(male)

kingsea3 HB User

Alright, thanks for the help everyone, I truly do appreciate it. I have finals the next two weeks, but I will try and see a doctor afterwards (my uncle specializes in internal medicine thankfully). I just still can't wrap my head around why I would have a thyroid problem... I just didnt think it really affected males or people in their 20s, which is probably why I have been so ignorant to my symptoms. I guess genetics really do play a significant role in it.

If I am diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, or something of the like, what is my prognosis? Is it something I will be able to control through diet, exercise and medication, or will the remedies be more severe/debilitating? I just have so many ambitions and things I still want to do with my life, it is hard to comprehend the fact I may have a life-long disorder.

However, there could be worse things! Positivity is key.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
sammy64
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Genetics do play a role in the development of autoimmune disease. Couple that with an environmental trigger such as illness, stress or toxin(s) and it's entirely possible to develop one.

As you will note from my signature, I started my thyroid disease journey with Graves' hyperthyroidism. I went into remission after taking anti-thyroid drugs for two years. I then joined the 20% of Graves' patients that go hypo after remission.

It's entirely possible to feel well while having thyroid disease. The key is getting regular labs and making sure you understand them so you can rally for the proper care with your doctor.

Last edited by sammy64; 04-25-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
kingsea3
(male)

kingsea3 HB User

Just scheduled a doctors appointment. Gonna run some blood tests and feel around the area to see if its swollen or any lumps are there. If so they are gonna run an ultra-sound. This is all so unexpected, feeling a bit overwhelmed right now. I was wondering what to expect? My uncle is my doctor and I've complained to him about these various symptoms for a while, so he seems to think it might be a thyroid problem as well. Im trying to stay positive.

Old 04-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #11
Craigkne123
(male)

Craigkne123 HB User

I felt the same when I got diagnosed with diabetes only two years ago, why me going through my head . I just got on with it then I got diagnosed hyperT .

Keep your head up and stay positive and you'll be fine

Closed Thread

Tags
thyroid, thyroid disease, thyroid disorder