It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

What to ask when "interviewing" potential new dr?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
adri326
(female)

adri326 HB User
What to ask when "interviewing" potential new dr?

I'm dr shopping AGAIN (I thought #6 today would be The One but unfortunately no) and this time I refuse to make an appt/file paperwork/wait for appt only to be disappointed again. I'm not going to waste my time, money and hope on another clueless dr.

This time my plan is to call each office first and know what I'm getting before I even show up. I'm focusing my search this time on doctors of osteopathy because I've seen good recommendations for them on here.

My question is what do I ask the office person when I call? I tried calling one dr today and I asked the receptionist who answered if she knew anything about the dr's philosophy on thyroid treatment and she had no clue. I figured she wouldn't know but I thought maybe she'd point me in the right direction of where to ask but she didn't. I plan to call several offices but I don't want to waste the calls by asking useless questions.

I've read that you can ask if the dr prescribes natural dessicated thyroid or cytomel but some of the bad drs I've had prescribed me those (*reluctantly* but that won't show up in those kinds of records) so I don't completely trust that method.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
lisa789
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: What to ask when "interviewing" potential new dr?

I'm so sorry #6 did not turn out to be the one. We all know finding the right one can be a hassle, sure hope you find one soon. (hugs).

Not sure how to put this in questions to ask in advance, but I'm just throwing in my 2 cents of what I think is important in order to get there.
1) is the doctor focussed on TSH alone or not?
2) are symptoms taken into account or only based on labwork.
Maybe when you have a name, search the internet to see what you can find as far as patient experiences go.
In the end I think it boils down to a doctor willing to work with the patient.

Wishing you well and hope you get to feel better soon!

Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
sammy64
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I can understand your desire for efficiency but, I just don't know if the office staff (or even the doctor's nurse) could give you specifics.

And, not all doctors provide the same level of care to every patient. My current doctor (#5) has done well by me but, I've "led" every dose adjustment.

I referred two people to her and she missed their diagnosis.

The thyroid information section on here (at the top section of the forum) has a post that lists questions to ask a potential doctor.

I still don't know if anyone other than the doctor could answer them.

And, truly, even though the second endo to care for me told me she "goes by symptoms first then labs", she was lying.

I think we have to meet a new doctor, get labs and see what he/she says before having any idea whether or not the doctor is thyroid-savvy.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
EagleRiverDee
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

Have you considered a naturopath? I see a naturopath as my primary care physician and she prescribes natural desiccated thyroid. A holistic practitioner would also be more inclined to do that. Additionally, just due to the style of care, a naturopath or holistic practitioner is going to be more likely to treat YOU and how you feel as opposed to simply trying to hit a number on a blood test. I love my naturopath and consider her a Godsend, personally. My last doc was a D.O. and he only cared about how my blood tests looked (it didn't matter how I felt) and would only prescribe synthroid.

Closed Thread