It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Did the doctor change my dose correctly?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
pgg
(female)

pgg HB User
Did the doctor change my dose correctly?

I was taking 150m of Synthroid, but never felt "good" or motivated. The doctor switched me to 100m Synthroid and 5m Cytomel. Did the doctor go to low on the Synthroid?

This morning I was a little tired (but that was from disturbed sleep), but I had all this energy I have not had in a long time.

I am worried that I will lose this new "oomph" during the day because the Cytomel will wear off.

Having the dog washed, her teeth and ears cleaned all before 5:40 was amazing!! I now hope that my weight will start to go down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
FinnMaid
Senior Veteran
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Did the doctor change my dose correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgg View Post
Did the doctor go to low on the Synthroid?
That was quite a drop to your T4 dose, it is possible you need to back up a bit. If you start to shift towards hypoT ask to have your labs checked and the T4 dose re-evaluated. Please note that when on Cytomel your TSH is "supposed" to be low so if there's a drop in your TSH that in itself is no reason to decrease (any) dose.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your new combo of meds is the rough equivalent of 120 mcgs of Synthroid alone. So there has been a 30 mcg decrease. But if the plan is to allow for an eventual increase in the Cytomel, that's not too drastic a change in the T4 dose.

Many people split their daily Cytomel dose in two parts, taking one in the a.m. and one in mid-afternoon to avoid any kind of slump. I take natural dessicated thyroid containing both hormones, and I take it in one dose in the a.m. Don't notice any kind of slump. Not everyone does. You can experiment.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
sammy64
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I don't like that T4 dose reduction at all.

I had the common experience of my FreeT4 level dropping after I started Cytomel (it's a biochemical thing).... even though my doctor kept my T4 dose the same and my FreeT4 level was optimal for me at that time.

It took four T4 dose increases to restore my FreeT4 level to what is optimal for me.

I think I'd rather see what happens to my FreeT4 level after starting Cytomel and then address the T4 rather than be erroneously proactive (hmmm....would that mean "conactive" )

Some doctors do reduce the T4 dose but, I've never seen a dose reduction as large as yours.

For whatever it's worth, I recently read why taking Armour (porcine thyroid that contains T4 & T3) makes once-daily dosing more "comfortable" while people taking synthetic T3 find the need to divide their dose.

Armour contains thyroglobulin - this helps make the dose more of a "slow-release" formula.

Last edited by sammy64; 05-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:05 AM   #5
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy64 View Post
For whatever it's worth, I recently read why taking Armour (porcine thyroid that contains T4 & T3) makes once-daily dosing more "comfortable" while people taking synthetic T3 find the need to divide their dose.

Armour contains thyroglobulin - this helps make the dose more of a "slow-release" formula.
Interesting. Thank you for that!

Closed Thread