It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Lab Results Confusing - Incompetent doc

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
    Dan36
    (male)

Dan36 HB User
    Red face Lab Results Confusing - Incompetent doc

Hi folks, I'm looking to get some opinions on my recent lab results and also tell you about how the obviously incompetent doc prescribed me the wrong dosage of synthroid. BTW I have been hypothyroid for many years after having radioactive iodine treatment. Have been taking .150mg Synthroid for the last few years but was not feeling well at all for months so went in for blood tests(last ones were done about 2 years ago).

Here are the labs:

TSH: range 0.27-4.2 Results: 7.05
    Free T4: range 12-22 Results: 18.1

Now those seem very confusing to me because high TSH usually indicates hypothyroidism but the free T4 remains in the normal to high range which seems to contradict the TSH. I've never asked for my results before as I trusted my doctor and endo(I don't have one anymore) and felt I was being treated properly. But the doctor I saw this time isn't my regular one and he seemed quite unsure about the whole thing. His diagnosis? He DECREASED my Synthroid to 0.088mg! So basically he seems to have interpreted my results as indicating hyperthyroidism from over-medication which means he clearly had no idea what the high TSH level meant! I wasn't aware what the numbers meant myself so went along during the appointment but wisely asked for a copy of the results since as I said he didn't seem very sure about the whole thing. Thankfully I still have some .150mg pills and after talking to a pharmacist about it, we both agreed it would be best to remain at that dose until I can see my regular doc and also get my past results for comparison.

This was all very confusing, and to be honest I felt like I was experiencing hyper symptoms so I was glad when the doc confirmed my doubts, but now that I informed myself it seems I might be more into the hypo side again and would need an increase in dosage, NOT a decrease!

Opinions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Lab Results Confusing - Incompetent doc

If you took your Synthroid within about 8 hours before the blood draw for the FT4 test, it almost surely falsely spiked that level, making it appear higher than it actually is on average and cause confusing results like yours. I never take my thyroid med on the morning before a blood test. I take it with me to the doctor's office and take it after the draw.

If you are taking Synthroid or any other T4-only med within 8 hours before a blood test, it will falsely elevate the result of your Free T4 test, but won't affect Total T4, Free T3, Total T3, T3 Uptake or TSH.

If you are taking Armour (or any combination of T3 and T4) within 8 hours before a blood test, it will falsely elevate the result of your Free T3 and Free T4, but shouldn't have an effect on Total T3, Total T4, T3 Uptake, or TSH.

If you are taking Cytomel within 8 hours before a blood test, it will falsely elevate the result of your Free T3 test, but not Total T3, Free T4, Total T4, T3 Uptake or TSH.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
    Dan36
    (male)

Dan36 HB User
    Re: Lab Results Confusing - Incompetent doc

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    If you took your Synthroid within about 8 hours before the blood draw for the FT4 test, it almost surely falsely spiked that level, making it appear higher than it actually is on average and cause confusing results like yours. I never take my thyroid med on the morning before a blood test. I take it with me to the doctor's office and take it after the draw.

If you are taking Synthroid or any other T4-only med within 8 hours before a blood test, it will falsely elevate the result of your Free T4 test, but won't affect Total T4, Free T3, Total T3, T3 Uptake or TSH.

If you are taking Armour (or any combination of T3 and T4) within 8 hours before a blood test, it will falsely elevate the result of your Free T3 and Free T4, but shouldn't have an effect on Total T3, Total T4, T3 Uptake, or TSH.

If you are taking Cytomel within 8 hours before a blood test, it will falsely elevate the result of your Free T3 test, but not Total T3, Free T4, Total T4, T3 Uptake or TSH.
    Thank you Midwest. I did not know about that! At least it makes the Free T4 results a little more understandable as I had indeed taken my Synthroid pill less than an hour before doing the test. This leads me to believe that I might indeed be on the hypo wagon. Still, it sucks that I have to go back and get this straightened out before I adjust my dose. I can't imagine how I'd feel a month from now if I hadn't informed myself and lowered my dose! I'm already feeling low as it is.

Cheers from Canada.

Closed Thread