It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• high SHBG, high aldosterone, pain, weight gain, edema- HELP!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
    waterbegone
    Inactive
    (female)

waterbegone HB User
    high SHBG, high aldosterone, pain, weight gain, edema- HELP!!!

Hi,
    Here are my recent labs-

ferritin 30 (13-150)
    free t3 3.9 (2-4.4 range)
    high aldosterone 60
    vit b12 586 (211-946)
    folate 12 (>3)
    serum iron 83 (35-155)
    Iron sat 26 %
    testosterone 26 (8-48)
    potassium 3.8 (3.5-5.2)
    sodium 141
    vit d 47 (30-100)

tsh .0006 LOW
    free t4 1.11 (.82-1.77)
    DHEA-S 102 (60.9-337)

My MVC is 100- HIGH
    t3 127 (71-180)
    ADH .8 (0-8) seems low?

I am on t4 100, cytomel 10 mcg 2 xs a day. also, on dexedrine for idiopathic edema 60 mg a day.
    is seems like my test is low 26 for a 40 yr old woman. why is SBHG high? I have high pulse, sweating, edema, tons of joint pain, Fibro, fatigue, dont sleep well
    I am wondering if low ferritin & low vit d, low iron sat is making thyroid hormones pool and not work? that is why weight gain? also, been skipping meals b/c the Dexedrine makes me not that hungry.
    any ideas

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
    lisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
    Re: high SHBG, high aldosterone, pain, weight gain, edema- HELP!!!

Welcome to the board, although I'm sorry for the reason you're here.

Your ferritin is low indeed, so you might consider supplementing. In doing so you might add vitamin C to the mix since it helps with absorption and helps in preventing belly troubles due to iron intake.

I suspect a disbalane between FT3 and FT4 (that alone can cause symptoms). Your FT4 is not all that high, most need it at least midrange or higher (60-80%) in order to feel well, but I suspect your FT3 is not at a good place for your body either (too high) and causing issues.

Hope you get to feel better soon!

Last edited by lisa789; 07-11-2012 at 08:14 AM.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I don't know about too many other lab results besides thyroid (although your Vit D level could use improvement).

I know that high levels of SHBG often mean that a patient taking thyroid hormone replacement would need a higher dose than someone with lower levels.

I would feel great with your FreeT3 level but, that doesn't mean it's ideal for you. Most people feel best with FreeT4/T3 levels around 60-80% of range. Based upon your lab's ranges, this means FreeT3 at least 3.4 and possibly as high as 3.9. Just as I wouldn't feel well with FreeT3 of 3.4, someone that needs their level around 3.4 won't feel well with it at 3.9.

However, based upon your lab's ranges for FreeT4, most people would need a level at least 1.3 and probably closer to 1.6 so you can see that your level is much lower than that.

I suggest that you talk to your doctor about increasing your Synthroid dose. And, to prevent your FreeT3 level from going higher as a possible result of conversion, you might want to ask about lowering your Cytomel dose ever-so-slightly.

Having a too-high FreeT3 level along with a too-low FreeT4 level (or vice versa) can cause a mixture of hyper and hypo symptoms.

It's hard to say whether or not your symptoms would be considered hyper or hypo since many overlap. Therefore, it's a good idea to try the "most commonly comfortable" levels and then ask the doctor to tweak the dose to address any residual symptoms.

Last edited by sammy64; 07-11-2012 at 09:15 AM.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterbegone View Post
    I am wondering if low ferritin & low vit d, low iron sat is making thyroid hormones pool and not work? that is why weight gain? also, been skipping meals b/c the Dexedrine makes me not that hungry. any ideas
    Adequate ferritin/iron levels are necessary for proper conversion. (I think you know that T4 is our storage hormone and gets converted by our bodies into T3, the active hormone).

Skipping meals is not a good idea since steady blood glucose levels are necessary for conversion.

Still, your FreeT4 level wouldn't have anyone feeling good so, it makes sense to address that. You have enough significant symptoms to indicate that your thyroid hormone levels need improvement.

It wasn't until I was stable at my optimal levels that those final symptoms started to dissipate. I suggest you get to work on optimizing your levels and see where that takes you.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
    waterbegone
    Inactive
    (female)

waterbegone HB User

thanks for your replys!

I jsut got back my resverse t3 number- do you believe in RT3 ratio under 20 is causing weight gain, etc and needs to be treated with T3 only>

I have had my free t4 level up to 1.4 and 1.5 even 1.7 and still felt horrible. i am wonderign if my low ferritin, low vit d is causing my problems? also, the hihg shbg...

Old 07-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The reverse T3 issue is a highly debatable one.

My doctor never checked my rT3 level and I achieved wellness by optimizing my FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels.

Having a "good" FreeT4 level without a corresponding "good" FreeT3 level (or vice versa) can still leave the patient feeling horrible.

Both levels need to be optimal before symptoms will dissipate.

Ferritin is a vital part of the T4/T3 conversion process so, low levels certainly won't help your FreeT3 level.

Low Vit D is associated with fatigue and other symptoms so, taking adequate amounts of D3 and getting your level up should benefit.

I never had my SHBG levels checked but, as a result of hormonal birth control, I'm confident my levels were higher. Reason I say this is due to the fact that, once I went off hormonal birth control, my thyroid meds dose needs decreased.

I think you'd be best off working to improve your ferritin/Vit D levels, getting *both* your FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels around 60-80% of range and taking things from there.

The Following User Says Thank You to sammy64 For This Useful Post:
    LPD (07-12-2012)
    Old 07-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #7
    waterbegone
    Inactive
    (female)

waterbegone HB User

hank you!!
    Actually. I just computed my rt3 ratio and it's 21 which is over the 20 that it's supposed tobe at - if there's such a thing

Ok, so vit d, low iron could be the reason I'm having problems now...
    Have you seen people gain weight, edema, pain when there freet3 is higher than free t4? So I should up t4 levoxyl and cut back cytomel to 5 mcg 2 xs a day? (was on 100 t4, 10-15 mcg cytoeml 2 xs day)
    Do you think my pain and weight is from iron and or high free t3?
    Thank you

Old 07-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
    sammy64
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

There's really no way to determine what might be causing what.

Since we know that inadequate Vit D levels can cause symptoms, it makes sense to try to correct that.

Since we know iron is a important part of T4/T3 conversion, it makes sense to improve that level.

Since we also know that both the FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels need to be around 60-80% for most people to feel well, those are reasonable treatment goals.

It takes some trial and error to identify optimal levels so, the best we can do is to ask the doctor to make appropriate dose adjustments so we achieve "the most commonly comfortable" levels.

Then, we have to "wear" those most commonly comfortable levels to see if they are comfortable for us. If not, we have to try to evaluate the symptoms we still have and ask the doctor to make appropriate dose adjustments.

It's a painfully slow process but there's no other way. However, it's entirely worth it.

Your earlier post mentioned 10mcg Cytomel twice/day for a total daily dose of 20mcg but, in your most recent post, you mention 10-15mcg twice/day.

Since both the T4 and T3 meds can affect both the FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels, I can't make a suggestion to discuss with your doctor about your Levoxyl dose until you confirm exactly what Cytomel dose you were taking for hopefully at least 6 wks. before your most recent labs.

Once you fill in the blanks, we can move forward.

Closed Thread

Tags
    edema, hormones, thyroid, weight gain