It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid nodules & lymphadenopathy- no answers from doctors

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
    Jlxxxx
    (female)

Jlxxxx HB User
    Thyroid nodules & lymphadenopathy- no answers from doctors

Hello all! I'm new to this forum & looking for advice. I went to my PCP after 1 year of swollen lymph nodes. I had a sonogram which revealed 1 small left-lobe thyroid nodule and >2 cm lymph nodes scattered about. In the 10 months since this sonogram, I have had other sonograms which have revealed >2 cm nodes mostly in my internal jugular chain and now I have 9 nodules, 6 on the right lobe with the largest being 12 mm. I have had "thyroiditis" for the past few weeks and after a Kenalog shot, a Medrol dose pack, prednisone 50 mg for 5 days and clindamycin - I am still having swelling and Pressure in my throat. Seeing as how my TSH and all labs are normal, with the exception of a slightly elevated ESR, my doctors are not acting terribly concerned and keep eanting to re-evaluate in 3-month increments. I am very uncomfortable right now and I am worried because I do not feel well, and I'd like to get the ball rolling. I've been on steroids 7 times and antibiotics 9 times in the last 10 months and I'm tired of being sick. I have seen an Immunologist, an Endocrinologist, and now an ENT. How do you suggest I proceed from here an is there anything I should be insisting that they do/check?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Thyroid nodules & lymphadenopathy- no answers from doctors

I'm not sure on what's going on there but if you have thyroid nodules, over 1cm, you should have a needle biopsy--fna. You can also post your "normal" tsh, free t4 numbers with ranges and maybe people here can help you determine if they are affecting you,

I don't know the size of worrisome lymph nodes---they are also subject to texture as well---they could be biopsied if they are in the ranges of those issues---they might not be related to thyroid at all.

I think if it's possible, you might want to see a better ENT.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
    Jlxxxx
    (female)

Jlxxxx HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Reece View Post
    I'm not sure on what's going on there but if you have thyroid nodules, over 1cm, you should have a needle biopsy--fna. You can also post your "normal" tsh, free t4 numbers with ranges and maybe people here can help you determine if they are affecting you,

I don't know the size of worrisome lymph nodes---they are also subject to texture as well---they could be biopsied if they are in the ranges of those issues---they might not be related to thyroid at all.

I think if it's possible, you might want to see a better ENT.
    Most recent labs:
    TSH 2.01
    Total T3 112.43
    Free T4 1.17
    ESR 22

The largest of the thyroid nodules is 12 mm, and the lymph nodes are 2 cm+. I agree, a FNA is probably in order. They said I might just have a eutharoid goiter, but they don't know why it is as inflammed as it is right now other than "acute thyroiditis."

Old 08-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Have you had anti-thyroid antibodies checked? They check for autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimoto's). The more concerning I think are the prescence of numerous lymph nodes in your neck over 2 cm. Lymph nodes should not be bigger than 1 cm, and being adjacent to your thyroid, would be reason to take one out for a biopsy. I personally would see a surgeon who could do the FNA of thyroid nodules and a node biopsy in one procedure. It may be, depending on the size of your gland, that it should come out, if you have a large goiter. The ultrasound normally provides measurements of the total gland size as well as each lobe.

Closed Thread

Tags
    lymph nodes, nodules, thyroid