It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Allergic to synthroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #1
    cmoscmos
    (male)

cmoscmos HB User
    Allergic to synthroid?

Hi

I am 28 male, have had some blood tests since 2.5 years ago that the my TSH numbers were off. Doctors didn't give me anything and ignored it, sait it was within borderline. I believe It was 5.8 then went up to 6.8 over 2 years later.
    I also believe I have had this problem for 7 years, since I was experiencing headaches, low sex drive and ED since I was 21. All the doctors kept brushing my symptoms to the side, seen at least 15 doctors since then.

I started synthroid, a month later I was having problems breathing, irritated very easily, anxiety, couldn't sleep, fainting, low heart rate.... etc.. then they did a xray on my heart and it was enlarged. They didn't adjust the medication.

2 months later, 3 months since I started synthroid, I decided to stop 1 day. I felt better... now stopped for about 11 days and I felt better up to yesterday. My throat started feeling swollen and had a bit of breathing problems (maybe due to anxiety) and irritability. Even though some of the symptoms came back, they really aren't even close to what it was before.

What do I do now? I am afraid, my heart is enlarged but taking this medication puts it under more stress since I am constantly irritated (not just a little, to the point that I can't function) and chest pains, problems breathing. I am also worried really about my fertility, I want to have kids someday

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-23-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Allergic to synthroid?

Your next step is to try another brand of levothyroxine. You may be sensitive to one of the inert fillers, binders, or dyes in the Synthroid. Two other leading brands of levothyroxine, Levoxyl and Levothroid, are both free of the acacia and lactose which are frequent allergy triggers for many people.

You may also want to consider a natural desiccated thyroid drug, like Armour Thyroid or the hypoallergenic natural thyroid drug Nature-Throid. Neither of these drugs contain lactose or acacia.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
    cmoscmos
    (male)

cmoscmos HB User

Thank you for your reply. That response kinda falls right on within everything that I have been researching for a week now.

I wen't to the doctor today though, and he told me those exact numbers I had before synthroid:

TSH 6.63
    T4 14.1
    T3 5.1

After I spoke to him about the medication reaction I had, he said that ok you don't have to take it, your numbers weren't that off anyways.

Not sure what I should do anymore
    Really confused

Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Thyroid patients, more than any other kind, often have to advocate for the kind of care they want and deserve. In the very beginning of my thyroid "adventure", I suspected I was hypoT and asked for a screening TSH test. My ex-MD actually refused my request. I insisted, he relented. When it came back "off", he said it was normal and refused to treat me. I fired him and found a better MD. The new MD diagnosed me and started treatment on Synthroid, which didn't agree with me. Instead of prescribing something different, she said to stop taking it. Once again... FIRED! The third MD prescribes natural thyroid hormone, on which I'm doing well. Goes to prove how many MDs know so precious little about how to treat thyroid disease.

Healthy people have TSH near 1, no higher than 2, so your TSH certainly was far "off", showing that you do need treatment.

How soon will it be until you need a script refill? Will you need a totally new one to be written? If you do, ask the doctor to write it to allow substitutions. Then you can have a talk with the pharmacist about brand options that are more hypoallergenic ... (assuming that, if you have insurance, they will allow another brand.)

If you will be refilling from the original prescription, and if it does allow substitutions, you can explore your other options with the pharmacist as you would with a new script. No reason you have to refill with Synthroid if the script doesn't require it. If it doesn't allow for a Synthroid sub, I would insist that the MD write me a new one to allow for brands other than Synthroid. If he won't cooperate, strongly consider finding an MD who will. It's your health, your disease, your money. You don't have to take that kind of abuse from your health care employee.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:33 PM   #5
    cmoscmos
    (male)

cmoscmos HB User

I have about 2 weeks of meds left, and 1 more month of refills if I want. The thing is the doc said to stop taking it (which I find weird since my numbers are off). After I kinda insisted I wanted to figure this out, he said ok then take half a pill rather then a full pill a day. Then he suggested I go on anxiety meds (I guess that will treat the anxiety I am having about being hypo), maybe because I was prepared for doc appointment this with notes and medical history information, which kinda through him off guard.

Those are really good suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will see the pharmacist and see what I can do.

Closed Thread