It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• pills/vitamins that help or stop hair loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-24-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
    jam27612
    (female)

jam27612 HB User
    pills/vitamins that help or stop hair loss

Hi all-

Does anyone know of any pills or vitamins that have helped or stopped hair loss? I have tried hair, skin, and nails but saw ZERO difference. I've had hypo for about 5 years now. These past 2 years my hair won't stop falling out - the doctor's don't know what to do because I'm in normal range. Any suggestions on any pills/vitamins that you know would help and or perferably stop the hair loss would be great!

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: pills/vitamins that help or stop hair loss

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jam27612 View Post
    - the doctor's don't know what to do because I'm in normal range.
    It's in your best interest to know exactly what your TSH and free T4/3 levels are, because the chances are great that they aren't your "normal".

The range is meant to include every level possible within a population of thousands of healthy people. Each person has their own setpoint of "normal". No one feels well at every level within that range... Sort of like no one person can comfortably wear every shoe size within the "normal" size range.

I would bet your levels haven't been optimized for your needs. If you want to get a copy of your last thyroid labwork to post here for comments, we'd be happy to try to help.

Also, anemia causes hair loss as frequently as hypothyroidism. Make sure your iron and ferritin levels are up to par.

As for products to help hair loss, I don't have personal experience with that. But I've seen others here say that Nioxin hair products have been of some help to them.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
    jam27612
    (female)

jam27612 HB User

Thank you for your input! The most recent blood test I have taken my tsh level was at 0.527. My triiodothyronine, free, serum (which I think means t3?) was a 3.2. My doctor noted it was in normal range and didn't change my medicine. I have been taking synthroid mcg and 10 mcg of cytomel which is obviously not helping. I have been taking these doses since June.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #4
    wannabemaestra
    (female)

wannabemaestra HB User

Hey there!

I hear your pain. I've always had a head full of hair and to be honest, other people haven't noticed. But YOU know and I know it's disappointing to wake up in the morning to see your pillow covered in hair that was once on your head, or see how much hair has collected in the shower drain after shampooing.

I've read in various forums and blogs that evening primrose oil helps. I've started taking supplements for it, but it's too early in the game to tell. It takes a few months before you actually see results, if any. The studies are conflicting, so you should ultimately choose whether or not to take them. Still, just thought I'd give my two cents. We're all in this together!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
    jam27612
    (female)

jam27612 HB User

Thank you both for your suggestions!!! How is Biotin any different from that vitamin hair, skin, and nails? That vitamin had lots of
    Biotin in it. Just curious! I'll need to look into this.

Closed Thread