It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low TSH, High T4

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
    KateMac
    (female)

KateMac HB User
    Question Low TSH, High T4

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 1971 and have been taking Synthyroid or Levoxyl ever since. My latest blood test came back with low TSH and high T4. I've recently gained 5 or 6 pounds and been very, very tired so the way I feel and my blood work seem to be at odds. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Low TSH, High T4

It is possible with a high T4 and low TSH, that your dose of synthroid is too high, but you are not converting the T4 to T3, which is the most important part. That can make you feel tired, etc. even with what appears to be hyperthyroid lab results. It would help to get your free T3 measured, which could be low, and you might feel better on a combo of synthroid and Cytomel (T4 plus T3) or armour thyroid, a natural thyroid that has both components in it. Synthroid and Levoxyl are just T4. I would talk with your Dr about this, and make sure you are seeing a Dr. who really understands thyroid treatment in depth.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
    MrA77
    (male)

MrA77 HB User
    Re: Low TSH, High T4

Yeah I agree with Ladybud, it sounds like you may not be converting enough T4 to T3. The first thyroid tests I had done, my free T4 was near the upper part of the range and free t3 was near the bottom of the range so I take T3.

What are all the thyroid tests you've had done? Free T4, free T3, reverse T3, and an iron panel make it easier to see what is happening.

Closed Thread