It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Asking for help with Labs results please.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-28-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
    klog
    (female)

klog HB User
    Asking for help with Labs results please.

Here are the labs:
    Total Cortisol 5.5 Range 2.3-11.9
    Free Assay (FT-3) 2.6 Range 2.0-4.4
    Free T4 Direct 0.84 Range .82-1.77
    TSH .931 Range .450-4.500
    Reverse T3 16.3 Range 13.5-34.2
    My main symptoms are extremely sleepy, sleeping 12-16 hrs a day, wake in am for hour or so then back to sleep til 12-1pm,up short time go back to sleep for a few hours then I will sleep all night as well. Also gained approximately 20pounds over the past 8-12 months. I am 45yrs old, not premenapausal.
    Could someone explain what these results indicate & why? I have searched the boards but get quite confused. Also, I might add one of the drs says I may have depression but I haven't ever had that before-not that I don't but just stating. I feel if I am its from all this sleeping and weight gain. It is ruining my life as I have no energy to go.
    Thank you for any advice.
    Karen

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
    lisa789
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
    Re: Asking for help with Labs results please.

Welcome to the board although I'm sorry for the reason you're here and struggling like this.

As you might know TSH is thyroid stimulating hormone produced by the pituitary gland and not an actual thyroid hormone (although most doctors will focus on that to determine thyroid status which by itself does not give sufficient information and can be misleading) that being said... FT4 and FT3 are the actual thyroid hormones, when those drop too low for the body's needs that will cause symptoms of hypoT.

In standard schoolbook scenario's: TSH will rise when the free levels drop too low for the body's needs (and free levels FT4 and FT3 will decrease).
    But it does not happen with everybody.

If one looks at your TSH it's perfect and does not indicate a thyroid problem at all. But if one looks at your free levels the story does become different, FT4 is near bottom and FT3 is not high either (if one keeps in mind that most people need their free levels at least midrange or higher in order to feel well).
    Point being likely your too low free levels are causing your symptoms but it's key finding a doctor who's knowledgeable enough to recognize that.
    How long is this going on? it's possible your TSh still needs time to increase and next time might be higher. when where your labs done? TSH does fluctuate during the day but as far as I read it's highest in the morning (so worth keeping in mind to have your bloodtests done in the morning)

Were you tested for antibodies? if not you might want to ask to have the hashi's antibodies tested being antithyroglobuline and antiTPO, if those are present it might be easier to get treatment.

Hnag in there

The Following User Says Thank You to lisa789 For This Useful Post:
    klog (08-29-2012)
    Old 08-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
    klog
    (female)

klog HB User
    Re: Asking for help with Labs results please.

The tests in my above post were taken 8/1 @ 9am, but not fasting. I have had among a lot of other labs the Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) 8 range 0-34 on 7/9/12. In my initial above post from the results I have been given 15mg armour thyroid. Take for 6 wks the have labs redone. I have been taking it 16 days now. Day 14 was the first day I haven't napped in along time, day 15 & 16 so far so good too. I have been having problems since Dec 2011 for sure but that is just when I started to realize something must be wrong with me besides simply being tired. I started out at my OB in June, endo in July, then the RNP who finally ran the above tests that I had read about here and other sites(not just the TSH). Anyway, I go to my gen MD last week for sinus-also see a RNP just different practice,told her what was going on,she is super nice, etc but the MD she is under-not so much. I get a call from on of the nurses yesterday after they had seen the lab report from the other practices RNP that gave me rx & I have just had the best two days in months & they are stating that I don't have thyroid issues & shouldn't be taking meds, extremely dangerous, etc. I was feeling so good about it then they really got me discouraged (although I still felt good)and I just wanted to ask for another explanation here on this forum because I get confused & forget the how's & why's. If I continue to do well I will just see the RNP that prescribed the armour thyroid for sinus too. All that to say thank you for your help and reply!

Closed Thread