It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's knowledge? Please help! Can Hashimoto's cause chronic neck/shoulder pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
    40goingon80
    (female)

40goingon80 HB User
    Question Hashimoto's knowledge? Please help!

I was just recently diagnoses with Hashimoto's...high TPO, too many symptoms to name here now, but normal results for TSH and other hormones. I have had chronic neck and shoulder pain on my left side. My doc says we will complete blood tests regularly to keep an eye on the hormones and TPO, but no meds needed and no need to see an endocrinologist at this time. I have had chronic muscle pain throughout my body for about three years, but it comes and goes over a couple weeks at a time here and there. A rheumatologist diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia and insists that I do not have Hashimoto's and wanted me to take Savella...I refused to take it then he is upset because "you need to accept the fact that you have Fibromyalgia." (TPO was 290 with range <35 with last blood test.) Right now though, my concern is the pain in my neck and shoulder on the left side. I don't feel any lumps or anything out of the ordinary. It feels like a muscle strain...however, I have had this pain at least since January and have been a regular for physical and massage therapy for the pain and tight/stiffness. It relieves it slightly and only temporarily...but is never gone. Doc sees no reason for ultrasound and no scripts for pain meds. I guess I am wondering what opinions others with Hashimoto's have? Does anyone else have pain in this area? Any thoughts from anyone else on the matter? I am going crazy? Please help?

Last edited by 40goingon80; 09-01-2012 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Change post title

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's knowledge? Please help! Can Hashimoto's cause chronic neck/shoulder p

Hello and sorry you have this condition. It's related....I have neck and shoulder pain when my thyroid hormone levels go too low for me. I'm sure this can be why for you too. Fibromyalgia has been linked to low thyroid hormone levels, especially Free T-3. Do some research on the two. I actually went to physical therapy,a neurologist(I do have a pinched nerve but that's kind of what fibro is,a nerve thing) it's not serious and I had a cortisone shot in it about 4 years ago. Also went to a chiro,that helps too. I was over dosed on an anti thyroid med(I was hyper) and my levels went too low. Of course I didn't know all this in the beginning.I stopped taking the pill for about 3 weeks and within one month the pain was gone! I wanted to take a lower dose, doc wouldn't hear of it and actually upped my dose because my levels went up!It took me awhile of reading these kind of boards to get rid of him and be proactive in this disease. (You have Hashi's for sure.) Now, I give advice. Pay it forward You need your FREE levels checked.The free T3 and 4. Yours are probably in range but at the bottom. Get copies of your results. You also need a better doc who will help you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bran'sNana For This Useful Post:
    40goingon80 (09-01-2012)
    Old 08-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's knowledge? Please help! Can Hashimoto's cause chronic neck/shoulder p

That rheumie probably gets a sweet kickback from the drug reps who push that stuff.

"Fibromyalgia" is a syndrome, not a disease. A syndrome is a set of symptoms that is either explainable by a diagnosable disease - or - the disease hasn't yet had enough research done on it to call it by a name. Hypothyroidism - either caused by Hashi's or something else - has all the hallmark symptoms of "fibromyalgia". I'd be the boat you have hypothyroid symptoms caused by your Hashi's.

Your levels very likely are NOT "normal results" for you, and that's why you have symptoms. Almost no one who gets a hypoT diagnosis yet has out-of-range levels. So if your doc is waiting for some magic number to alert him that you need treatment, you have a really stupid doc. If you care to post the thyroid tests he ran with their results and lab ranges, we can help you interpret them.

Oh my yes... Stiff neck and shoulders... Hypothyroidism! Very possible. In your case, very probable. Don't stop until you find a doctor who understands that you need treatment now. But please don't think it has to be an endo. They don't necessarily understand thyroid disease, mostly just diabetes. The only one I saw eid diagnose me, to her credit. She treats if there are positive antibodies with symptoms, despite in-range TSH. She's pretty progressive for an endo, but she's a rarity. Just so you know.

Some forum members have found good thyroid doctors by asking local pharmacists for names of MDs who prescribe Armour thyroid or Cytomel. A general practice osteopath may be better at thyroid disease than other doctors. Internists, gyn's, family practice docs - any of them have the potential to be good. What matters is that you don't give up until you find one!

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    40goingon80 (09-01-2012)
    Old 09-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #4
    40goingon80
    (female)

40goingon80 HB User

Thank you both for your replies and opinions! I have been doing as much research on the internet that my schedule allows about Hashimoto's and hypothyroidism in general. I have been having symptoms for about three years or slightly more, but only received the Hashimoto's diagnosis only about two months ago. The only reason we came to that conclusion was because I had been going to see a chiropractor for muscle pain, mostly around my lower back/hips, shoulders and neck. He had me seeing his massage therapist about once a week for the last few months when I can get in there. When my muscle tension in my neck and shoulder have not been getting any relief, he suggested that we get a blood test done and check thyroid. My chiropractors mother has Hashimoto's and he suggested that many of my symptoms sound similar to hers. He was the one who ordered the TPO and other hormone blood tests. My general doc, and I had seen a rheumatologist a few times, both checked blood for hormones...that were "in normal range" and never recommended any further tests. Rheumatologist diagnosed Fibromyalgia and general doc didn't totally agree, but didn't disagree either and thought I should try the meds (Savella) he prescribed to see if it helped, while in the meantime we would do blood work again in 6 months. Three years of appointments for numerous symptoms with both docs, I decide to see a chiropractor for my muscle pain...and he is the only one that can see something going on here? I suffer mostly from muscle and joint aches and pains but also deal with fatigue daily (and what originally brought on my concern...numbness and tingling in my hands as well as cold hands and feet-Reynauds possibly). I have dealt with all of this while trying to care for my family. I have tried to put them first because they need me right now...I have four young children from 3-9 years old and one child has special needs. I force myself to get up and keep going everyday for them and my husband who is very busy and stressed as well. Regardless, I have been patient, felt like I was going crazy or just getting old (I am almost 39), unsure if I should continue looking for a reason for feeling like I do or just deal with it and get on with my day. Lately, however, my neck and shoulder have caused major pain that I am tired of dealing with. I have done a little research to try and find out if the pain I am experiencing is indeed a result of hypothyroidism. I have found some info, but nothing really specific or that really makes good sense. As I mentioned, neither doc feels a need for a thyroid scan or medication for it since my hormone levels fell within their normal ranges. As it sits right now, I get to go back in another two months for blood tests again to check everything and go from there. I did though, contact my chiropractor yesterday and he said to come in next week, and if he thinks that there is reason to check into this pain further, he would order me an MRI. I have never had one and I am not sure what he can see on one for this situation. I am afraid he'll find nothing, like every other test i have done, then I am back to square one. I guess it's worth a shot though? Any thoughts? Anyway, sorry to ramble on but I think that if someone else here is or has some experience and can pass on what you have learned, I don't feel as much like it's just me and I am simply going insane I do have my blood test result from the last two times I had them done, one from my doc, the other from my chiro. I will list the results below and maybe someone can help with your opinions too. I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks so much for trying to help others that are going through what you have already! I think a lot of people on these boards know much more than most of our docs on some of these matters! Thanks for sharing!
    Test results from May:
    TPO-158 Range: 0-34
    TSH-2.96 Range: 1.8-3.0
    T4-8.6 Range: 6.0-12.0
    T3-115.00 Range 85.0-205.0
    T3 U-30 Range 28.-38.0
    fT4-1.18 Range .70-1.53
    fT3-3.10 Range 2.30-4.20

Test just completed in July
    TPO-225 Range 0-35
    T4 Free-1.03 Range .78-2.19
    TSH-1.90 Range .465-4.68
    T3 Total-102 Range 76-181
    TBII-11 Range < or = 16 (guess do was looking for Graves this time too?)

I would be very greatful to anyone that might have an opinion or suggestions based on these results! Thanks again!

Old 09-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

It seems like your FT4 fell since May and your total T-3 went down too. Your antibodies increased too. With Hashi's the labs do jump around and the tsh, forget it, it goes up and down sometimes in 2 weeks. (not reliable.) Your levels are probably too low for you. (the frees). At the least get a good B vitamin,vitamin D (have yours tested) and 200 of selenium and take for about 3 months(selenium can lower antibodies and raise your FT3 somewhat.) and see if this helps at all. Extra b-12 might help too. I take a good fish oil also. Some docs will treat if there's a positive antibodies test for Hashi and symptoms like yours. The trick is in finding one! I'm so sorry you are suffering.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bran'sNana For This Useful Post:
    40goingon80 (09-01-2012)
    Old 09-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #6
    40goingon80
    (female)

40goingon80 HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's knowledge? Please help!

Thanks BransNana! I will surely consider all of your suggestions! What else can I do but listen to others with the same diagnosis who have been around the block a few times. It's sad that this disease has been around for so long, the first discovered autoimmune disease from what I have read, and we still don't have better answers from doctors who are suppose to have some knowledge about this stuff. Do you think that I should consider seeking and endo doc outside of my general doc's recommendations to hold off until my results fall outside of the normal ranges...or is this wasting my time? Not sure if an endo would take me without a referral or if I am not showing out of range results? And are they going to tell me the same thing anyway? Just curios on your thoughts...you seem to have a good handle on the subject! Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by 40goingon80; 09-01-2012 at 06:44 AM.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:09 AM   #7
    Bran'sNana
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

The only problem with endos is that they are NOT usually open minded. I quit my first one as he was a pompous *** but he was realizing I was a weird case. I was hyper with hyper labs but not that high and antibodies for both diseases. I started with a very low dose of an anti thyroid med (2.5) and my labs went hypo pretty fast. I probably could have waited it out but I felt awful. My heart at times would race and you could SEE my pulse. At night I thought i was having a heart attack or something. I had just removed my Mom from her home at the time and took her to live with me. The symptoms started after this (all the stress will bring these things out everytime!)

Instead of the doc lowering my dose maybe, he increased it at one point when I stopped it and felt better. I had the neck and shoulder pains start when I went hypo. I think my levels were somewhat on the higher side all my life so low levels made me feel bad. My next endo, a female realized I had both going on and by the time I saw her after being on the anti thyroid meds for almost 3 years she weaned me off them and then when I STAYED hypo(not out of range though at all) she gave me Synthroid. (She is a rarity.)This happens often to people that start off hyper. I am on Armour now and feel better,especially the mood factor, than I ever did on synthetic. I think it raises my FT3 to what I was used to all my life probably. Some people don't convert the T-4 to T-3 well and they need that too. I did but not enough for me to feel well I think.

Did you feel more hyper like, before this, more energetic, always running around,accomplished a lot in a day,multi tasked,never sat down etc...this was me a lot of my adult life. When I didn't feel like doing s*^t For days and weeks, I knew this wasn't ME! The Synthroid just wasn't doing it,I felt worse on a higher dose if anything. I might have moved up too fast on the dose too. It's good to start on 25, then go to 37.5, then 50 as your labs warrant, like every 6-8 weeks. If yours stay the way they are for awhile, they won't give you meds unless you find a open minded doc, whether it's a D.O.an internist or an endo. if you do call make sure they test the frees and prescribe Cytomel or Armour or both. These docs will be more open.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
    40goingon80
    (female)

40goingon80 HB User

I did feel exactly like you described! Always very athletic, energetic, organized and tidy. I four young kids and have to take care of them. I did just started to not feel good. Then my hands and feet really became an issue...I used to think it was carpel tunnel or something, arthritis in feet? I had plantar fasciitis for awhile, another story in itself, but feeling better for the most part there, now. I was a five mile a day runner, not anymore. I am out of breathe if I run for a minute now...feet still hurt, just not as bad, orthotics and a couple of cortisone shots over time has brought daily pain level 1-10 to a 3 where it was an 8 for months. I was an avid golfer only a couple of years ago, walked the course while other drove their carts, etc. Hands started getting worse quick...Reynaud's I am certain. Quit golfing too. With kids, I have always been busy running and caring for them, but I have surely slowed down. My husband was sure to point that out. Fatigue set in and now I get half done in a day. I used to be organized and had schedules and prioritized everything. Not anymore...just can't get motivated. I surely try to do everything for my kids though, as best as I can. They are playing quietly right now and this is the first Saturday in months we haven't had activites...whew..haha hence the reason for being on here all morning Right now though, I am just tired and really hurting in this neck and shoulder area. It just sucks! and I need somewhere to ***** where someone will listen? Haha...thank you so much! I again, appreciate your input and suggestions form your last post. I didn't think that seeing an endo would help? but maybe I need to keep looking for someone that can watch over this with me. My other thoughts outside of the lines here though surround diet which you haven't mentioned yet. I thought to post a question here with curiosity on people with Hashi's and whether or not they have tried any special diet without meds that really seemed to make a difference. I have read a lot about some functional type docs that believe foods, vitamins, supplements, etc play a role in the results of our blood tests. Gluten? Soy? Sugar? Dairy? and how they effect us in relation to autoimmune situations. Any thoughts there? Thanks for everything again!

Closed Thread