It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid dosage and statins???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #1
    woeisme
    (female)

woeisme HB User
    Thyroid dosage and statins???

Hi, can anyone help me? I was prescribed 25mcg levo because my thyroid was TSH 3.01 and FT4 11, basically I was feeling fatigued, gained a stone in weight, muscle aches - the works, plus my cholesterol shot up to 8!! After 6 weeks thyroid was TSH 2.96 FT4 13.8. Problem is my GP wouldn't up my thyroxine to 50mcg, preferring to give me statins for the cholesterol.

I've been doing what I've been told but still feel extremely fatigued at times and my weight, despite excercise and good diet, isn't shifting. Last night I was so fatigued I decided to double my dose of thyroxine to 50mcg whilst still taking a statin. My feeling is that the doctor has got it wrong and should have been increasing my thyroxine to get my energy back and treat the cholesterol. Am I wrong is self prescribing, afterall, I know how I feel and I just don't think my doctor understands.

Is anyone else taking thyroxine and statins??? I would imagine 50mcg is quite dose. I'm considering coming off the statins and just relying on the thyroxine.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2012, 09:32 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Thyroid dosage and statins???

I think I already told you that I refused my MD's statin prescription. I had already done my research and learned that statins greatly increase the risk of statin-induced myopathy (muscle pain and damage). Once my thyroid was optimally replaced, my cholesterol normalized. That took most of a year, though. It didn't happen overnight. Fortunately, high cholesterol doesn't have to be immediately normalized. Unless you already have obstructive artery or heart disease, you have time to get your thyroid in order. If it doesn't improve your cholesterol enough, you can always use a statin later.

Below is the URL to one study on the subject of the inadvisability of statin use with hypothyroidism. It's only one such study ... There are plenty more where it came from. You probably won't understand all the medical terms in it, but you could take a printout to your next appointment and ask your doctor to justify himself.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1949076/

Of course, your basic problem is that this doctor believes 25 mcgs is a therapeutic replacement dose of thyroid hormone. It isn't, and you probably will never convince him of that. Consider finding someone more cooperative and knowledgeable if you can't get a dose increase.

Last edited by midwest1; 09-29-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
    Spencer1
    Veteran
    (female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

Hey there! Just reading through the posts and saw yours. I can definitely relate! I think we are in a similar situation. I don't want to jump on your thread, but I will share my situation and maybe you can compare notes if it's helpful.

I was diagnosed with a TSH of 4.70. I am now on 62.5 mcg Synthroid. I was on 50 mcg Synthroid and it got my TSH to 2.77. I AM STILL MISERABLE. Less achy, but still sitting around all day (not that I want to be sitting all day either).

I'll tell you what my doctor is doing for me: My endo wants my TSH between 1 and 2. Well, I am pretty miserable. My legs are less swollen (good thing), but now I am getting some depression that did not exist before.

I am impressed you work out and exercise - I sure could not do that. I am hoping that if I get mt TSH down to 1, that I will feel better but I just don't know.

I think if you do not like that your doctor is not increasing your meds appropriately (especially since you are symptomatic), you should try to press him to do this and if he does not do it then just switch doctors. I agree with Midwest - I would not do the cholesterol drug. I personally, and this is just my opinion, would fix the root cause of the problem which seems to be thyroid.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
    woeisme
    (female)

woeisme HB User

Thanks ever so much for the support. I agree that my thyroid should be treated first and subsequently my cholesterol should go down (well hopefully). These statiins are making me even more achey than before, which isn't helping me with regard to exercise, how can I motivate myself to move more when the statins are making me ache. I think I'll stop taking them tonight to see if my body recovers!!! Thanks guys x

Closed Thread