It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Lobe Enlarged - surgery?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
    lvett43
    (female)

lvett43 HB User
    Thyroid Lobe Enlarged - surgery?

56 year old female....25+ years ago, I was diagnosed with Chronic Thyroiditis, Hashimoto's. 2years after diagnosis, they found 3 nodules on the left side, and removed all but a small piece of the left side. Right side of thryroid intact. Been on synthroid since then. Now.... right side developed goiter...every 6 months checked/ultrasound, etc. no change. TSH good. In January I had an ultrasound which showed 5.3 x. 2.5 cm thyroid lobe on right side, ithmus .3 , heterogeneous. In August I had another ultrasound which showed the right side was now 6.4 x 2.5 cm and isthmus not visible. I have a visible lump on the my neck that starts at the center and goes upward to the right, i feel hoarse sometimes, tired, anxious, wahhhh. Going for a ultrasound guided fine needle biopsy on Friday at a radiology office where the pathologist will read immediately - my doctor sent me there specifically for this reason. I am seriously considering the removal of the right side. Also, I have been suffering for over a year with anxiety/depression and am on Celexa, and had a hysterectomy 3 years ago (no cancer). Any ideas? Suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
    parkville
    (female)

parkville HB User
    Re: Thyroid Lobe Enlarged - surgery?

Hi Newbie - thought I'd reply as we are in a similar place; same age, recent ultrasounds revealing enlarged thyroid. Mine currently measures right lobe 7.8 x 3.3 x 2.2cm and left lob 7.5 x 1.6 x 1.7. It's been steadily enlarging since first measurements in 1998 with 3 fine needle aspirations since then, all negative. Endocrinologist today said so many nodules and so much enlargement it's impossible to r/o cancer via FNA so he recommends thyroidectomy. Also had some radiation to neck as a child which also ups the anti. Naturally, the prospect of having a rather significant incision across my neck seems a tad barbaric and scary not to mention the surgery itself. So anyway - I'm venting here but also wanted to write in a show of solidarity and wishes for a fast and speedy recovery. Let me know how it goes.

Old 11-15-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
    lvett43
    (female)

lvett43 HB User
    Re: Thyroid Lobe Enlarged - surgery?

Hi! WEll since that post in October... I had the biopsies of two rather large nodules, and both were benign. The diagnosis was hashimotos thyroiditis and recommended futher lab work. My internist did basic bloodwork, my TSH is elevated and she increased my synthroid from 50 mcg to 75 mcg. It's been a week since she increased my meds, and quite honestly I feel no change yet. I am also seeing an endocrinologist mid December... well see if he changes anything or recommends different treatment. I realize that even if they remove the thyroid I will still have Hashimotos... and still will be on this roller coaster of medications.
    As for your surgery, I had the left lobe of my thyroid removed (for nodules, all benign) about 25 years ago, and honestly the surgery was not awful and I had a great surgeon who left me with barely a scar. Now I understand that there are much less invasive ways to remove your thyroid with barely a scar...you might want to look into that. Good luck with your surgery, if you go through with it... it's not that bad, really.
    I will post again, keep in touch....

Closed Thread

Tags
    hashimotos, thyroid disorder, thyroidectomy