HealthBoards (
-   Thyroid Disorders (
-   -   Should I seek an endocrinologist? (

Seasky 01-26-2013 05:49 PM

Should I seek an endocrinologist?
My apologies for reposting this-I originally posted on the general health board and know this would be a better board:


I'm writing to ask for help in whether I should see an endocrinologist. I am a female in my lower 40s, history of depression, have difficulty with fatigue, brain fog, and intolerance to cold, mild muscle cramps in my legs (almost restless due to discomfort it causes). I have a strong family history of hypothyroidism on my dad's side: he, his sisters, and mother all diagnosed.

Almost three weeks ago I started having heart palpitations-never experienced them before. My primary care doc did an EKG and labs for hematocrit and TSH, and ordered a holter monitor.

The hematocrit was 42 and TSH was 3.63. EKG was normal. I have not received the holter monitor results yet-hopefully early this coming week. My TSH levels were ~ 1.31 in 2011 and 1.28 in 2009.

This is not related, but have had plantar fasciitis for more than a year, so I am moving less than I would be...which of course can affect mood, weight, etc. I have done all of the recommended treatments for that without any sustained relief. If I go for a good walk, I pay the price later.

If my holter monitor test result is normal, and I am told that the palpitations are due to stress (I have basically weaned off of my moderate caffeine intake since they started, with no change in the frequency of palpitations), should I consider following up with an endocrinologist? I understand there is debate about what the normal range for TSH should be. I do have a normal amount of stress-parenting four kids, part-time job, etc, but nothing extraordinary.

Would appreciate your feedback/advice. Thanks very much!


at282000 01-26-2013 08:49 PM

Re: Should I seek an endocrinologist?

What range is the lab using for you TSH? Depending on what scale you choose to use it would seem your TSH is either high or on the high end. It could indicate hypothyroidism. You should get your free T3 and free T4 tested I believe to see exactly what is going on with the thyroid. That and there is a big difference between your previous and current TSH test. You may want to ask your doctor to run the antibodies test as well. You know get as many of the test knocked out in one trip. Just my thoughts. I would definitely ask your doctor about the high end TSH.

best wishes.

Seasky 01-26-2013 09:01 PM

Re: Should I seek an endocrinologist?
Thanks for your response, at282000. The standard range listed is 0.34-5.60, so my result is in the middle. It'd be good to have the other tests done to get a more complete picture. Thank you.

at282000 01-26-2013 09:09 PM

Re: Should I seek an endocrinologist?

My humble opinion based on the reading I have been doing since my diagnosis a month ago is that your TSH is really a little high even on the scale they are using. From reading other results that have been posted and reading articles on the web you really want the TSH in the lower portion of the scale. I'd go ahead with the other test if you can because not everyone is the same.

good luck,


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:09 PM.