It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH jumped to 8.8

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User
    TSH jumped to 8.8

I have Hashimotos and just got the lab results back with TSH at 8.8, the highest I've ever been. This july I was 2.8.

Doc is telling me to go from 80mcg Synthroid to 100 starting today.

Has this ever happened to anyone - having it suddenly jump like this? I take my meds very carefully, never skip. I have been eating more soy lately, could this do it? Any help so appreciated. I don't have Free T4 or T3 results as they didn't test it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #2
    Heckofagal
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User
    Re: TSH jumped to 8.8

Soy will definitely affect absorption of thyroid meds but I don't know that it would cause that much of a jump in your TSH. I'd take the increase now and be sure to get labs done in 6 weeks and ask them to test your Free's then.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

Thank you for your fast reply!!!

For several years I took almost no soy but since I have been feeling really well, I started eating it again like 6 months ago. I do wonder if that messed things up? Sheesh. Anyhow I was never satisfied with my TSH cause the best I could get it was into the 2s and never could get it into the 1s where it seems many people think it should be when you have Hashi.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

Probably the soy , that happened to me. One summer when it was very hot, I ate a lot of soy ice cream and my tsh went up(more hypo). Stopped the soy ice cream and tsh returned to pre-soy ice cream level.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #5
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

Azuree that is amazing.

This summer I started eating soy and also I was having stomach trouble so I was taking Tums, calcium carbonate. Was always careful to take it far away from my meds but maybe that's part of the trouble. I dunno, I hope it fixes. i don't exactly have symptoms, maybe a bit more anxious, I gained a touch of weight, but I wanted to gain it, so cannot exactly blame the thyroid on it.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
    fresnogirl
    (female)

fresnogirl HB Userfresnogirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beacon800 View Post
    Azuree that is amazing.

This summer I started eating soy and also I was having stomach trouble so I was taking Tums, calcium carbonate. Was always careful to take it far away from my meds but maybe that's part of the trouble. I dunno, I hope it fixes. i don't exactly have symptoms, maybe a bit more anxious, I gained a touch of weight, but I wanted to gain it, so cannot exactly blame the thyroid on it.
    i would recommend getting off soy completely. do you have hashimotos disease? I'd recommend staying off gluten forever and try cutting dairy and soy which are considered inflammatory. With hashis, dont look at TSH. it fluctuates every second, every minute, every hour of the day. please get your free t3 and free t4's tested every time. those labs are what matters most.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #7
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

Yes, I have Hashimotos. I went gluten free about 3 years ago and that was the best thing. My digestion is much better. Lately I have been taking quite a bit of dairy, switched from coffee to lattes. Hmmm. Maybe another problem.

My doctors don't seem to think the T3 T4 is so important. They are at Stanford. it bugs me. I would like to know those numbers. We will retest in 6 weeks, maybe I can request them. However, I have never had an abnormal Free t4, even before I started meds. Just the elevated TSH and antibody.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

Beacon-It is impossible to know how much of your increase in tsh was attributed to the soy. I think my tsh jumped 3-4 points with the soy ice cream.

With hashi's as the antibodies destroy the thyroid , the destructive work is done in fits and starts not a smooth progression. So, from time to time the tsh makes a move to more hypo and your meds will need an incremental increase until the damage is complete with a non-functioning thyroid. This process can be very frustrating.

Not knowing where you are in the destructive process, some of your increasing hypo could be attributed to further decline in thyroid function.

Last edited by azure7789; 02-07-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #9
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

My poor thyroid, I feel sorry for it

I wish I would not try and kill it like this. Oh well, at least there is Synthroid. I have been under a lot of stress in the past two weeks as one of my teeth is wrong and they want to do a dental implant and for whatever reason I am having an anxiety fit about it.

The anxiety is what sent me to get a new TSH, as my recent one was in July and normal. But I noticed when my TSH is high I seem more anxious. Do you ever feel like that??

That soy ice cream made a big difference on you! I hope that is more of my problem. No soy from here out.

The following user gives a hug of support to beacon800:
    azure7789 (02-07-2013)
    Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

Beacon-- Yes, it is a lousy process to have to endure! But with hashi's there is no way around it , destruction will proceed. You are along for the ride and sometimes it is bumpy. Just know you are not alone!

Me too on the dental implant. I had a lot of anxiety about that as well, but it all went easily for me. It is hard to just stop worrying but try to distract yourself with other stuff so the worrying doesn't eat up too much time. I hope your implant work goes smoothly.

And I agree that when your tsh is off there can be more anxiety. I think our systems are trying to cope with everything that needs to get done without adequate provisions ...sort of like being in a race with your legs in a bag. You are not going to do well. I will get headaches when I am either going hypo or hyper sort of like a warning signal.

Oddly enough I thought that as the years progressed that I would know whether it was hyper or hypo that I was trending to but I have been wrong a lot. Of course how we feel is important but as my previous endo told me , for any symptom it could be either hypo or hyper as the cause and you have to have a lab test to find out what is really going on.

Last edited by azure7789; 02-07-2013 at 09:37 AM.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

Wow you sound like me!!

I have had some slight twingy headaches lately, another feature I recalled happening before. Those little headaches are alos part that sent me to get the new TSH test.

Ok, part of my worry on the dental implant is they want to add some bone graft, which I think is bones from dead people, purified in a lab. I am kinda ok with that, but in addition they will wrap that with a matrix of collagen derived from pigs. That worries me as an autoimmune person - the idea of the foreign pig protein substance. Did they do that on you?

You see, the way I found out I was hashi's is that I had a horrid outbreak of chronic hives. We ran all kinds of blood work at that time and the Hashi was discovered and I went on treatment. Eventually the hives stopped but my greatest fear is they come back. Nooooooooo! So simple things make me nervous on that issue.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

Beacon-- Maybe I should have asked more questions when I had my implant but those issues you are concerned about -well, I don't know if I had cadaver bone or the collagen either. So, I cannot help you there. Why not go to the dental board on this site and see what they have to say.

Also maybe a second opinion with another practitioner could help settle your nerves?

Old 02-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #13
    fresnogirl
    (female)

fresnogirl HB Userfresnogirl HB User

beacon - if you have tsh obsessed doctors, i suggest you run and find another one who is willing to test free t3 and free t4. usually, its seen in naturopathic and osteopathic doctors. its very normal for tsh to fluctuate everyday. one day it could be 0.50 and the next it could be 11! it just depends on the day. TSH is never a good marker for adequate dosing for hashi patients. you need the ft3 and ft4 tests.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

that makes a lot of sense. It actually happened to me three years ago when first diagnosed. My TSH was 7.8 (free t4 normal). Then a month later, with no meds TSH was 2. something. However we knew there was a problem cause of the high antibodies so I started taking synthroid.

Because of this latest result, we increased my dose by .25. I'm quite confused what to think of it all.

Closed Thread

Tags
    hashimotos thyroid disease, thyroid, tsh