It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Fluctuating between Hypo and Hyper

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
    mslassy
    (female)

mslassy HB User
    Fluctuating between Hypo and Hyper

Hi... I've been scouring the internet for days trying to get information and I'm at a loss to understand. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism about 4 years ago. My levels are always all over the place and I swear that I have every dose in my medicine cabinet! For the first couple of years, my doctor tested me every 2-3 months to monitor the dosage, and now I go every 6 months. Presently, I'm on 125 mg and I've been taking this for about 6 months. It's a slight increase from my previous dosage. I take Levothroid. The reason why I'm curious/concerned is because my test results from a couple of days ago showed that my TSH level dropped to .09. I do have an appointment with my doctor (who is very good) this week but I want to have some knowledge in my back pocket when I go.

Here are my test results (medicated). I only have my results from 2011.

TSH
    2011-09-14 0.29 0.30 - 5.50
    2011-12-12 2.52 0.30 - 5.50
    2012-03-26 2.33 0.30 - 5.50
    2012-05-28 1.68 0.30 - 5.50
    2012-08-30 1.73 0.30 - 5.50
    2012-10-15 1.63 0.30 - 5.50
    2013-02-05 0.09 0.30 - 5.50

T4 Free
    2012-08-30 21 11 - 22
    2013-02-05 22 11 - 22

T3 Free
    2012-08-30 4.2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User
    Re: Fluctuating between Hypo and Hyper

It would help if you put the lab range for the free t3 test as well.

If you have hashimoto's as the cause of your hypo, it is a given that your labs will jump around. Antibodies destroy the thyroid tissue in fits and starts not a steady progression. And, also stored t3 is released from the tissue as it is killed off so you can have little hyper spikes to contend with that will change how your tsh levels read.

My levels did not even out until about 4 yrs. into treatment when my thyroid was dead. I had a sestamibi scan and was told I had virtually no functioning thyroid tissue.
    I am not saying it takes everyone 4 years though as I do believe my destructive process started many years before I started treatment. And, I also have heard that everyone will progress along this at slightly differing speeds.

So, if you have hashi's this vaccillation is to be expected though the progression would inevitably to more medication.

I do think drs. don't like to test too frequently with hashi's due to the jumping around aspect.

Are you feeling hyper?

Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
    mslassy
    (female)

mslassy HB User

Thank you for your reply... the range for the T3 is 4.0 - 7.8 so I am within the range. I've never been tested for Hashimoto. I did mention it once but the doc said I didn't have it because my thyroid levels were within the range. I never quite understood that because the medication keeps it within the range, no? And even if I did have it, how does that really change anything? Oddly enough, I usually know before the blood tests when I'm hyper. I can't seem to keep enough food in me- I'm ALWAYS hungry!!!! When I'm hypo, I'm not usually hungry and I forget to eat. I'm fairly petite (5'2 - 115 lbs) and despite my high level of athletic activity (I run 3 x a week that total about 10 hours and I cycle on top of that), I cannot eat whatever I want. I really have to watch my calorie intake when I'm in hypo mode. Which is a majority of the time.

I just don't understand the huge drop in my TSH and what causes that. Itty bitty drops I get.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

Cause of hypo-I have read in Thyroid for Dummies by Rubin MD that something like 90%of hypo cases are due to hashimoto's autoimmune disease.( I do though think Complete Idiot's guide to Thyroid Conditions is more informative but I liked both)

My first dr. who diagnosed my hypo was of the opinion it didn't matter what the cause was as I have hypo and it won't change treatment. But.....

I changed practitioners because I think it matters to know if you have an autoimmune disease because those who have one autoimmune disease are far more likely to get a second. And, autoimmune conditions have a genetic component so you want to notify other family members that you have this condition and likely you will find other members of your family or extended family also have an AI condition.

What changes if you have an AI condition--I think you become far more aware of how impt. it is to take care of yourself as coping with one AI condition is a lot. Healthy eating and lifestyle habits are even more impt. for us.

And it is so easy to find out if you have this condition...just get your TPO antibodies checked.

Back to your numbers...
    I wouldn't say the change in your tsh was a big change. Throughout the day our tsh changes. I saw a research paper that showed the daily change in tsh and I cannot recall exactly but there are diurnal changes and I believe it was at least a point if not more. You could search diurnal changes in thyroid hormone and probably find the paper.

Funny , your numbers look so much like mine did before I added in some armour into my synthroid dose. And, I too am petite 5'3" and around 112. Mostly I stick right around 112, but do swing 3 pounds either way quite quickly.

Before adding in some armour, I was always at the very top of free t4 and the very bottom of free t3 (or even a pt. below bottom) , with a tsh that went between 2.0 to .2something.

Am I reading your numbers correctly that you are generally at the top of the freet4 and bottom of free t3? You only included one free t3 though.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
    mslassy
    (female)

mslassy HB User

So much great information! Thank you!!! I'm going to check out those books you mentioned. I'm usually hovering around the 2 point something range and that's a good place to be. Even the 1 point somethings are okay. But .09? That's heading in the negative direction isn't it? I've only had one T3 test. Usually I only get the TSH testing done. And I don't know much about the T4 either. I've tried to learn about it but I get bogged done by the technical information. I see lots of Dummy and Idiot reading in my future!

I also had an ultrasound done about 4 years ago and I was told my thyroid was quite lumpy. I was supposed to follow up with some kind of radioactive dye (?) test but because it required me to go off the meds for 6 weeks, I didn't. I was finally feeling better and didn't want to wait 12 weeks to feel good again. Maybe I should follow up with that?

Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I would suggest reading both books. Probably you don't need to read the whole book as some parts deal with thyroid cancer, hyper and other areas not relevant for you.

The Idiot's book has I think the most helpful info. But the first few chapters of Dummy are good. My local library had both books....maybe yours will.

As I said your numbers were very much like mine. What would concern me the most IF I were you is that your free t3 is at the bottom of the range. That is not something I think that would happen overnight. It measure your usable thyroid hormone .

Running on low free t3 from what I understand is not good for so many functions of the body but brain being a big one. For me when my free t3 was at the bottom for so long , I knew I had to add in some t3. So after dropping my synthroid 25mcg, I have added in 45mg of armour. I do feel more ON mentally.

My understanding in a nutshell is that t3 is the immediately usable thyroid hormone, t4 is the hormone that is the raw material from which t3 is made. Some of us are poor converters ...you can keep putting t4 in but you have very little t3. That is I think one of the key reasons that people turn to a thyroid med with some t3 like armour, naturethroid, acella etc or some people add in cytomel a synthetic t3. I hated with a passion cytomel. I couldn't bear even the tiniest amount. It was like drinking 15 cups of coffee to me. Others can tolerate it.

I thought maybe I couldn't tolerate t3 but found out I can tolerate natural t3 in armour with no problem.

A lumpy thyroid for someone with hashimoto's is to be expected from what I have read. As the tissue is destroyed by antibodies the surface becomes irregular and lumpy.

I would say:
    try to get the TPO antibodies test to learn if you have Hashimoto's tell the doc you want to know if you have an autoimmune disease

get some blood tests incl. free t3 and see if you remain so very low despite a very high t4 and a high (going hyper) tsh.

See the thing is if you add more t4 to bring up your free t3 you will just get increasinlgy hyper.

Oh....how do you feel now?

Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
    mslassy
    (female)

mslassy HB User

Holy doodle! You're just a wealth of information! I'm definitely going to buy both books. It would be good for reference. When I see my GP this week, I'm going to mention a lot of these things you've brought up and see what she says. I'll see what happens. Stay tuned *smile. And thank you so very much!!

Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
    azure7789
    Veteran
    (female)

Good luck with your appt.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
    mslassy
    (female)

mslassy HB User

I was mistaken. I'm taking Synthroid. My doctor reduced my meds to 112 mcg from 125 mcg. And she's sending me for that follow-up ultrasound. And she also confirmed that I do have Hashimoto. So I'll wait and see.

Closed Thread