It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Enlarged thyroid, feel terrible but "normal" test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2013, 06:27 AM   #1
    MomofEm
    (female)

MomofEm HB User
    Red face Enlarged thyroid, feel terrible but "normal" test results

My thyroid was confirmed as enlarged and covered in nodules by an ultrasound 2 months ago. I was referred to an endocrinologist who did a complete thyroid test. My results were
    Thyroid 1.39 in a normal range of 0.4-4.5
    T3 of 2.5 in a normal range of 2-4.4
    T4 of 1.22 in a normal range of 0.82-1.77
    Antibodies of 20 in a normal range of 0-40

I have been feeling terrible since Oct 2012. Extreme fatigue, aching joints, blurred vision, constipation, dry skin, swollen/puffy eyes and face, inability to lose weight and severe depression and anxiety. My mother had Graves' disease,my aunt, (my mother's sister) has hashi as does her daughter. My maternal grandparents were each hyper and hypo.

Despite my numerous symptoms and family history, I have been told that my thyroid is functioning normally. I feel absolutely terrible. I was placed on Cymbalta by my family doctor, which has helped with joint pain, but not necessarily all the depression. I felt particularly bad after the birth of my daughter 2 years ago. I asked for a thyroid test that came back normal, but then lost over 45lbs in a month and a half without even trying. I am now unable to lose weight. If anyone has any info that can help me, I would be extremely helpful!

Thanks so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Enlarged thyroid, feel terrible but "normal" test results

Your T3 is the most active component of thyroid hormone, and it is quite low in the range. You should also have two sets of antithyroid antibody results, anti-TPO and anti-TG. Not everyone with Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroiditis) has both antibodies present, so this is only half of the picture. A nodular goiter is very characterisitc of Hashimoto's and many people with it have symptoms before their gland goes severely hypothyroid. Free T4 and Free T3 are most helpful in evaluating thyroid function. I would talk to your endo and ask to have the free T4, T3 and missing antibody checked, and ask if he will give you a trial on some thyroid treatment. Also be sure you are using iodized salt in your diet, as some people are iodine deficient that develop goiters. Perhaps a different, more sophisticated endo may be needed and a second opinion is always wise if you aren't satisfied with what is happening.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    MomofEm (02-11-2013)
    Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 AM   #3
    MomofEm
    (female)

MomofEm HB User
    Re: Enlarged thyroid, feel terrible but "normal" test results

Thank you so much! 3 doctors have told me that my thyroid is operating fine but as I said, I have felt terrible. The doctors certainly have made me doubt my symptoms and wonder if everything that is going wrong is all in my head. Thank you for the additional information :-)

Closed Thread