It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hot and cold, nausea, fatigue, TSH-L result

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
    pam8024
    (female)

pam8024 HB User
    Hot and cold, nausea, fatigue, TSH-L result

Hello,

I'm looking in here hoping to discover if I have something going on with my thyroid. I've always run "cold" and probably 12 years ago asked for thyroid med even though my doctor thought my numbers were in the normal range. He gave me synthroid (my sister insisted we should have the natural version, but that never happened). After several weeks/months on synthroid, I stopped taking it since I couldn't see any improvement.

In the meantime I do have FMS with the accompanying pain and fatigue ongoing. It's just that lately I seem to have a more severe body temp reaction, and it's making me wonder about hyperthyroidism again.

This isn't like a hot flash, but I can't tell you why. I go from just freezing to death, putting on layers, turning on the heater to immediately getting too hot and having to divest everything. Some evenings it's to the point of looking schizo. It's also fatiguing and debilitating, and I think my wonderful hubby is now wondering if I'm losing it.

I saw my rheumatologist last week due to other FMS problems, and while he ordered blood tests I requested a thyroid test too. It looks like he only ordered the TSH L (is that the most basic test?).

Name Value Reference Range
    TSH 0.565 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone here?
    thank you all for any insights~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Hot and cold, nausea, fatigue, TSH-L result

One TSH test doesn't tell much, but yours is pretty low. Most healthy people's TSH hovers between 1 and 2, usually. Yours is low enough to suggest your pituitary gland might not be functioning well enough. That could cause hypothyroidism.

The hot/cold problem wouldn't be unusual for a pre- or menopausal woman. Heck, even I have it to some degree. LOL But that coupled with your "fibromyalgia" causes enough suspicioun to more thoroughly investigate your thyroid status.

You should insist upon more testing. At the very minimum, you need a free T4 test with another TSH. Best would be a complete panel consisting of TSH, free T4, free T3, TPO antibodies, Tg antibodies, and TSI antibodies. "Total" T4 tests are not as accurate as "free" ones. "T4 index" aka "T7" is bogus, not worth a blood sample. Don't accept any of these in place of free T tests.

Last edited by midwest1; 02-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to midwest1:
    Gabriella777 (02-14-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    pam8024 (02-17-2013)
    Closed Thread