It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• It is NOT in my head!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #1
    cellulardata
    (male)

cellulardata HB User
    It is NOT in my head!

I am 30 year old male. I am a husband, and a father of three incredible children.

I have been going through all these "weird" symptoms, been told by over 20 doctors for the past 4 years that it is all in my head. When I was younger, I couldn't gain weight. I was 99lbs when I was 18. Back then I had a rapid at times heartbeat, got a little tired easy, but nothing major. In 2009, I was rushed to the hospital thinking I had a heart attack, heart pounding out of my chest, over 200bpm. Over the next several months I was given different beta and calcium blockers. The worst was Metoprolol. Talk about feeling like you were going to die!

I finally weaned myself off all meds this year (including prevacid for the excruciating heartburn), and started taking vitamins and supplements. Walking up any stairs makes all my muscles burn like no other, extreme exhaustion, and heart pounding. I literally have to hold on to the wall to go to the bathroom so I don't hit the floor.

Without fail, every time I go to the hospital or the doctor, after being checked while I'm inclined on my back, and half asleep, they determine I am fine and its "all in my head". Every time I eat much of anything, It makes my heart pound for hours, and very slow digestion. I now weigh 190lbs, 5'10" and cannot lose weight no matter how much I walk or try to exercise without pain. I also can barely get out of bed each morning due to intense back pain and weakness.

This problem is also tearing at my marriage, due to inability to "perform" due to exhaustion. The doctors have never been any help, I have been researching all my symptoms for the past few years, and even discovered I had a hiatal hernia. After I told my doctor that I was quite sure that I had one, they did and upper GI endoscopy and found a small hernia. I was told nothing was wrong, and it didn't cause me any problems. I have to sleep with oxygen due to my low oxygen level. I sleep with a wedge to elevate my upper portion of my body so I can breathe.

After researching the last week, I think I want to be checked for a thyroid issue. No matter how bad the diagnosis is, I will be relieved to actually have a real diagnosis, so I can begin treatment. If any of you have any similar situations, I really feel for you. I cannot believe how some doctors can blow off patients because they don't think there's any problem, instead of doing what they are paid for. Now I have met some great doctors in the past, and I do applaud each and every one of them for doing a great job! I would like to get this fixed, its so hard raising children when you cannot do much even for yourself.

Has anyone had a similar problem, or been told like me that it is in your head?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
    trisbee
    (female)

trisbee HB User
    Re: It is NOT in my head!

When I was a teen, I had many of the same issues you did. At 18, I went to the doctor and told her I thought I had a goiter (at the advise of someone who recognized some of the symptoms I was having). Tested, and to no avail, was told there was nothing wrong. 20 yrs later with the same off and on again issues and I ended up with a diagnosis of Hashimotos thyroiditis and ultimately, hypothyroidism. I can see, after all of the research I have done over the last three years, that men are more commonly misdiagnosed with thyroid issues, as it has always mostly been looked at as a female issue. I can't tell you that you do have hypothyroidism. I can however suggest that if you feel strongly that it is a thyroid problem you are dealing with, that you find an endocrinologist that specializes in metabolism and go from there. A regular GP, for the most part and from my experience, with not fully understand the scope of the illness and will not be as thorough with regards to testing as an specialized endo will be. Good luck to you.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
    jcgman73
    (male)

jcgman73 HB User

Hey bro, sounds like you've had a rough time of it. I feel for you. I have one little one and can barely keep up.

I've had some of your same symptoms, seen an army of docs, some of whom are good, others not so much. Very frustrating when they give you the "it's all in your head" spiel. Other favorites are "you're making too much of this" or "you're just getting older." I also get annoyed with all the health nuts around me who are constantly going on about the latest marathon that they've run or what they'll be doing in the gym. It's all I can do to exercise, as it is a very uncomfortable proposition. I guess that I just need to focus on doing my best.

Like you, I (and others on this board) just want to feel somewhat normal. It's such a simple request and at the same time so complex. No amount of money can buy you health if you can't narrow down what's ailing you. And you're right, illness doesn't just affect you, but is shared by the whole family. I wish you the best. I too will be consulting with an endocrinologist soon. Here's to healthier days ahead.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #4
    jcgman73
    (male)

jcgman73 HB User

Hey bro, sounds like you've had a rough time of it. I feel for you. I have one little one and can barely keep up.

I've had some of your same symptoms, seen an army of docs, some of whom are good, others not so much. Very frustrating when they give you the "it's all in your head" spiel. Other favorites are "you're making too much of this" or "you're just getting older." I also get annoyed with all the health nuts around me who are constantly going on about the latest marathon that they've run or what they'll be doing in the gym. It's all I can do to exercise, as it is a very uncomfortable proposition. I guess that I just need to focus on doing my best.

Like you, I (and others on this board) just want to feel somewhat normal. It's such a simple request and at the same time so complex. No amount of money can buy you health if you can't narrow down what's ailing you. And you're right, illness doesn't just affect you, but is shared by the whole family. I wish you the best. I too will be consulting with an endocrinologist soon. Here's to healthier days ahead.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User

I feel ya. I'm in a somewhat similar situation, though only for a year and a half and still feels like forever, so I definitely wish you a proper diagnosis soon.

I just hate that most doctors I've seen end up very quickly dismissing everything I say with "Have you thought about consulting a psychologist?", "Are you feeling overly stressed lately, problems with the wife maybe?" and "Don't worry, it's probably all in your head".

The worst is that a part of me seems to believe them since they're the doctors, so whenever I get a good week, I always think to myself that maybe I'm inventing it all, even if I felt horrible the day before sometimes! They just want me to go crazy I think XD

Then I remember that before doctors knew about something, they call it stress. Heck at some point some doctors attributed tuberculosis to stress

Last edited by light472; 03-08-2013 at 11:43 AM.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
    dizzyrors
    (female)

dizzyrors HB User

Hear ya! After full blood, several varying dosages and variations of both sleep meds and antidepressants (which none of it worked) and finally a sleep study, my 1st doc suggested that I see a shrink. I think my 2nd doc saw a fat chick looking for an excuse as to why she was fat and lectured me on diet and exercise. I guess he wasn't listening when I told him before I started feeling symptoms (and well into them) I worked out intensely 4 to 5 days a week and although my diet was not pristine, it should not have caused my sudden weight gain (about 25 lbs in a little over a month) plus my continuing gradual increase in weight. Jerk. My 3rd doc was an endo and he agreed that there was an issue, put me on a laughable dose of Levothyroxine and then after about 5 weeks my tests came back "within range" he said that I should be feeling better. I said I didn't. Not a bit but he said I should be fine because my labs were normal. Flippin' ridiculous these clowns are.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #7
    dizzyrors
    (female)

dizzyrors HB User

I completely relate to your comment about thinking that maybe they are right. I often wonder if maybe I am just severly depressed. I say severly b/c, all the anitdepressants I was prescribed didn't work before. Or maybe if I do that 2nd sleep study they will find that it is my sleep and all I need is a good night's rest. Or whatever. I hate that it makes me doubt myself. I've never been sick before. Never been much of a complainer. Have always powered through colds, flus and injuries. So why would I start "making things up" now?

Last edited by Administrator; 03-11-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
    xBizzar
    (male)

xBizzar HB User

I think you're completely right. You need to see an endocrinologist and get your blood checked. Have them do an ultrasound on your thyroid. I had hypothyroidism for over a month and your symptoms seem very similar to mine.
    I had a partial thyroidectomy because I had a multi-nodular goiter, yet my pre-surgery blood tests came back normal. I only had noticed because the goiter was so massive (3 inches).

Closed Thread

Tags
    disease, hernia, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid