It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• synthroid and dental work - is it safe?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User
    synthroid and dental work - is it safe?

Hi all, I am scheduled for some major dental work and for sure I will have novocaine. I understand most of the time novocaine has some ephinephrine in it. I take 100 mcg synthroid per day.

My question is: is it ok to have novocaine with the epinephrine when you take synthroid?? I have never been warned not to, but I read there could be problems from it, pretty serious, and I wonder what everyone here is doing?

Please help if you can as it is making me a bit nervous.

So much thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: synthroid and dental work - is it safe?

Epinephrine can be a big problem if you're hyperthyroid, but I've never seen any warnings regarding Synthroid and it. Never have thought twice about it and don't see the need to.

If you want to be absolutely sure, ask a pharmacist. They're the experts in interactions. If they don't know outright, they have the resources to check.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Epinephrine can be a big problem if you're hyperthyroid, but I've never seen any warnings regarding Synthroid and it. Never have thought twice about it and don't see the need to.

If you want to be absolutely sure, ask a pharmacist. They're the experts in interactions. If they don't know outright, they have the resources to check.
    Thanks for this. I totally understand how epi would be very bad for the hyper. I read the Synthroid box and it says that drugs in the epinephrine group could cause heart disease for people taking Synthroid. I am very confused on this point cause it seems to me if there were an issue out there we would get a lot of warnings about it. But it's there on the Synthroid contraindications list

Old 02-13-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
    fresnogirl
    (female)

fresnogirl HB Userfresnogirl HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beacon800 View Post
    Thanks for this. I totally understand how epi would be very bad for the hyper. I read the Synthroid box and it says that drugs in the epinephrine group could cause heart disease for people taking Synthroid. I am very confused on this point cause it seems to me if there were an issue out there we would get a lot of warnings about it. But it's there on the Synthroid contraindications list
    how are you "feeling" as far as symptoms? if you feel "hyper", then maybe you should re-think or reschedule? til u feel better.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I've seen the subject of dental anesthesia broached here before, but in the context of hyperthyroidism. If I remember correctly, someone who had experience said that there is a Novocaine-type drug that contains no epi. You certainly can ask your dentist about that if you're really worried. I would not be, speaking for myself.

If you feel like searching the archives for that discussion, you might be able to find it.

Old 02-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
    beacon800
    (female)

beacon800 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fresnogirl View Post
    how are you "feeling" as far as symptoms? if you feel "hyper", then maybe you should re-think or reschedule? til u feel better.
    No I don't feel hyper. Actually more tired, but this is cause I have been so stressed about this dental appointment, which is an extraction preparing for an implant.

We recently increased my Synthroid dose. My primary care doc doesn't seem to think epi would be a problem for me. Turns out my dentist already decided not to use that kind of anesthetic, but will use it without epinephrine. Hopefully all goes well.......I am kinda scared.

Closed Thread