It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hashimoto's symptoms resolved with Cortisone injection

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
    Seekingpeace12
    (male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
    Hashimoto's symptoms resolved with Cortisone injection

I have been suffering from symptoms that are similar to hypothyroidism or Hashimoto’s disease and an injection of Cortisone made them go away. Let me explain: My doctor thinks that I have Fibromyalgia because I suffer from depression, tiredness, lack of energy, lost 25 pounds in two months, my knees and most of my joints hurt and I am very, very sensitive to cold. My extremities feel cold, I have to wear a jacket and long johns indoors when the indoor temperature is at 76 degrees Fahrenheit and when I sleep, I sleep under a lot of blankets. I run out of breath walking even short distances or walking up a flight of stairs. Also, my brain is foggy and I forget what I am doing or what I was thinking.

However, last week I received an injection of Cortisone on my neck because it was hurting and most of my symptoms listed above went away the next day and all within a week of the injection! The morning after the injection I woke up with my neck and pillow soaked in sweat. The next two days I was very hyper and with some anxiety. I also noticed that I would sweat easily and my body was warm like I used to be before I got sick. But I also noticed that for the few days after the injection I would get angry very easily and had this rage inside me that I wanted to throw things around and punch something, very opposite from the depression that I had before the injection. All I wanted to do before was sleep, sleep and not get out of bed. It has been a week and a half now and the anger has gone away and so has the night sweats. However, I feel normal, not cold anymore, no longer depressed, more energetic, and I can walk without running out of breath. Even my walking pace is faster. I have also gained five pounds in weight.

It is obvious that the injection is the reason for the change but can it be that because Cortisone is a steroid, that I was perhaps low on Testosterone or something? I have not been tested for low testosterone but when I do, how long before the testosterone from the injection wears out so that I get true readings? I hate to go back to suffering, so will I need to take Cortisone shots every time they wear off or are there other options?

I am really confused because I never in my life expected a shot of Cortisone to make me normal so I am hoping that someone here can shed some light on this. I have been to so many doctors and not one could find what was wrong thus the Fibromyalgia diagnosis. They prescribed Zoloft but I refused to take it because I knew that that would not cure the underlying problem.

By the way, I did have my thyroid tested before (a few weeks before the shot) and these were my numbers and temperature: TSH 2.23 (.0450-4.5 uIU/mL), FT4 1.43 (.82-1.77ng/dL), FT3 3.0 (2.0-4.4pg/mL). Basal temperature was 97.6 and my evening temp was 98.9

I would really appreciate your input because maybe I do have Hashimoto's disease and the steroid is masking the symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
    Seekingpeace12
    (male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's symptoms got better with Cortisone injection

It has been two weeks since the injection and the benefits have worn off. I am back to feeling miserable again. I have made an appointment with my doctor to see what my options are.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
    telus
    Inactive
    (male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User
    Re: Hashimoto's symptoms got better with Cortisone injection

Seekingpeace12 February 19, 2013

Have you seen where some doctors believe that fibromyalgia is really hypothyroidism?? Your TSH of 2.23 indicates you are a little hypo, and you have all the symptoms. Your doc seems to be ignoring the thyroid test results.

It's my bet that you are hypothyroid and also have low adrenal function as a result, and hence your cortisol is low. Have a look at the book called Adrenal Fatigue by James L Wilson. You will think he wrote the book about you. You need to get a saliva test for cortisol where you give 4 samples thru the day. You will likely have to pay for it yourself. Don't bother with other types of cortisol tests.

Tell your doctor you want to be treated for hypothyroidism and get the cortisol testing. If he won't do it, then look for a new doctor.

Closed Thread