It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Cyst in my throat - should i have it removed?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
    ellegee68
    (female)

ellegee68 HB User
    Cyst in my throat - should i have it removed?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this board

So i was diagnosed as hyperthyroid when i was 20 years old and few months later, because of the radioactive treatment my hyperthyroid turned hypothyroid. I am now 22 years old, currently taking Synthroid.

Last time I saw my endocrinologist, he found that I had a fluid-filled cyst on the left side of my throat. He told me that if I wasn't having trouble breathing, eating, or drinking, that I could just leave it alone. He said that if it started to bother me or if it got too large, he could drain/remove it. Therefore, he left that decision up to me. I decided to leave it alone since it wasn't bothering me much.

Although my cyst is not physically hurting me, I guess the right word would be annoying. I can breathe okay, but when I swallow I feel like there is something in the way. I have a bad gag reflex, I find myself burping a lot, when I eat my throat feels full, and I also find myself sniffing my nose alot. I don't know if that's just me or if other people who have hypothyroid/a cyst in their throat deal with the same things.

Two of my aunties had cysts in their throat before, got them removed, and they are fine BUT they are not hypothyroid like me. I don't know whether or not I should deal with it or ask my endocrinologist to remove it.

What is your advice on what I should do? Are there any risks to having cysts in the throat removed?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
    Re: Cyst in my throat - should i have it removed?

Question is how big is it. You might consider PEI (Injecting alcohol into the cyst after draining) It's newer treatment, with good success for cystic nodules that doesn't require surgery. Advantages, works well on cysts, outpatient procedure, they won't remove half your thyroid.

You might have to look around for a doctor who can do it.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-14-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Closed Thread