It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Time for meds?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
    nikkil79
    (female)

nikkil79 HB User
    Time for meds?

OCT 10, 2011
    Free T4 - 2.1
    FREE T3 - >20
    TSH - <0.01

DEC, 28, 2011
    FREE T4 - 1.0
    FREE T3 - 0.01
    TSH - 0.01

FEB. 17, 2012
    FREE T4 - 1.0
    TSH - 0.12

MAR. 19, 2012
    TSH - .30

MAR. 30, 2012
    FREE T4 - 1.0
    TSH - 0.07

APRIL 2, 2012
    FREE T4 - 1.1
    TSH - 0.19

MAY 18, 2012
    FREE T4 - .8
    TSH - 0.65

JUN. 18, 2012
    FREE T4 - 1.0
    FREE T3 - 107 (DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. WEIRD NUMBER.)
    TSH - 2.18

NOV. 9, 2012
    FREE T4 - 1.0
    FREE T3 - 3.6
    TSH - 3.71

JAN. 4, 2013
    FREE T4 - .09
    TSH - 4.1

FEB. 8. 2013
    FREE T4 - 0.9
    FREE T3 - 3.4
    TSH - 4.68

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
    Re: Time for meds?

Hey ther, it appears you are swinging between hypo and hyper as per TSH numbers which are ok to go by when you are not on meds.
    Have you had antibodies tested as this is very common with hashimotos.

Post ranges for your labs if you can, it helps show where in the range you are with frees though you did have a very very high T3 regardless of range.

I would suggest getting antibodies done along with seeing where you vit D3, iron cortisol and DHEA are, these should be addressed before or in conjunction with thyroid meds. But yes, you do look like you need some meds to bring those levels into line!

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
    nikkil79 (02-19-2013)
    Old 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
    nikkil79
    (female)

nikkil79 HB User

As a matter of fact, I DO have Hashi's... I didn't realize that could make my numbers dance! I know so little about what I'm dealing with, other than the fact that I'm absolutely miserable right now, can't concentrate on ANYTHING, and feel like I'm an emotional time bomb. My doc has one set of ranges and the lab has a different set. I know that the doc uses the following:

FT4: 0.7-2.0
    FT3: 2.3-4.2
    TSH: .3-3.0

Even with these ranges, he says there is no need for meds, and I'm sorry but I really feel differently. I'm not a very impatient person, but how much longer until I get my quality of life back? I have four children that need my attention. I have a full time government job that requires a lot of attention to detail to work. My poor hubs and family have been amazing, but I think the job is getting more than a little fed up with me. I have to do something soon. Thank you for your input. What should I do now?

Old 02-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

Well having hashi's says a lot. It means you have an auto immune disease which will continue to go from hyper to hypo, ( until your thyroid is eventually destroyed and you are full time hypo)with symptoms becoming increasingly worse without treatment.

Personally, and this is a personal opinion only, I suspect your adrenals are under a lot of pressures And possibly have high cortisol levels (cortisol levels should be around 60-80% for morning results) if you are high, it is early stage adrenal fatigue and if they are a lot lower than range, you have moved up a stage. It is much harder (and contra indicated) to treat hashi's using thyroid meds until the adrenals have healed.

Have iron vit D, cortisol and DHEA checked and again in my opinion, a naturopath who deals with adrenals and thyroid is a better option than a doc. Rule out adrenal issues and then (or in conjunction with depending on your naturopath ) start either T4 treatment (a lot of people do well on this alone as long as they are converting properly) or NDT (natural dessicated thyroid which is a combi of T4/ T3 meds)

A doc who is not willing to treat an existing auto immune disorder is not working in the best interest of her/his patient as far as I am concerned anyway!

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
    nikkil79 (02-25-2013)
    Old 02-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #5
    nikkil79
    (female)

nikkil79 HB User

I'm going to see a different doctor on Thursday. I sure hope he is more willing to test for and treat the underlying conditions. Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Good luck nikki, let us know how you get on

Closed Thread