It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• prolactin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2013, 05:30 AM   #1
    trinage
    (female)

trinage HB User
    Talking prolactin?

Hi just got my new blood results back today after having a levothyroxine increased to 100micrograms.
    TSH: 0.66
    T4: 18.8
    no idea where the T3 is usually thats done with it?

my prolactin was very high when it was first discovered that i had under active thyroid, my prolactin level at the moment is now 1357...what does that mean? is that normal yet?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
    cabin921
    (female)

cabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB Usercabin921 HB User
    Re: prolactin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trinage View Post
    Hi just got my new blood results back today after having a levothyroxine increased to 100micrograms.
    TSH: 0.66
    T4: 18.8
    no idea where the T3 is usually thats done with it?

my prolactin was very high when it was first discovered that i had under active thyroid, my prolactin level at the moment is now 1357...what does that mean? is that normal yet?
    My prolactin was high but never as high as yours . I have a turmor on my pit. gland its a small gland that is at the base of your brain i took meds for awhile but dont now . When my prolactin was elevated i have milk in my breast , would only come out when i squeezed my nipple. These turmors are not cancer type turmors but they will produce hormones and if they grow it will effect your vision. Have you had an mri done on this gland?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
    trinage
    (female)

trinage HB User

I had an MRI scan when i was first told i had an underactive thyroid cause i was told my prolactin levels were that of a breastfeeding woman or something, i was told that this should go down once my tsh levels go down but now they have and it seems by your reaction that they are still high i'm confused as to what's going on :/, the MRI scan showed all clear by the way.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
    cabin921
    (female)

Quote:
    I had an MRI scan when i was first told i had an underactive thyroid cause i was told my prolactin levels were that of a breastfeeding woman or something, i was told that this should go down once my tsh levels go down but now they have and it seems by your reaction that they are still high i'm confused as to what's going on :/, the MRI scan showed all clear by the way.
    I didnt mean your tsh was high , your prolactin level is what is too high. The first mri i had of the brain and pit gland showed nothing then i had another mri a few years later and there it was a tiny tumor sitting right there.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
    trinage
    (female)

trinage HB User

Yeah i know i meant your reaction to my prolactin levels ^^ sorry i didn't word that quite well. well at first my tsh was around 7 and that's when i was sent for an mri and endocrinologist cause my prolactin was higher then too, but now my tsh has gone right down i expected to be told my prolactin had as well so very confused XD i wonder what my endo will say to my prolactin levels when i see him next :S

Old 02-20-2013, 09:52 AM   #6
    cabin921
    (female)

Quote:
    Yeah i know i meant your reaction to my prolactin levels ^^ sorry i didn't word that quite well. well at first my tsh was around 7 and that's when i was sent for an mri and endocrinologist cause my prolactin was higher then too, but now my tsh has gone right down i expected to be told my prolactin had as well so very confused XD i wonder what my endo will say to my prolactin levels when i see him next :S
    I think i would want to look into the pit gland turmor a little further. Do you have milk in your breast ? My turmor is called a pituitary adenoma. Would have to pull out my old test results to see the ref ranges but i am thinking your prolactin level is way way too high.Do you have copies of your test so you can see the ref range for prolactin ?

Last edited by cabin921; 02-20-2013 at 09:59 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
    trinage
    (female)

trinage HB User

Well that's originally what they thought it was until the mri result came back all clear which i wasn't expecting, and then my endo figured it would go down with my tsh but it hasn't really? I dought he will send me for another scan so not sure what is going to happen, if he leaves it i will be surprised XD Nope no milk secretion at all.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #8
    cabin921
    (female)

Quote:
    Well that's originally what they thought it was until the mri result came back all clear which i wasn't expecting, and then my endo figured it would go down with my tsh but it hasn't really? I dought he will send me for another scan so not sure what is going to happen, if he leaves it i will be surprised XD Nope no milk secretion at all.
    Do you have copies of your prolactin test so you can see the ref range ?

Last edited by cabin921; 02-20-2013 at 10:08 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
    trinage
    (female)

trinage HB User

I don't all i've had to go by is what i've been told over the phone by results people at the docs or by my endo looking at a screen :/

Old 02-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #10
    cabin921
    (female)

Quote:
    I don't all i've had to go by is what i've been told over the phone by results people at the docs or by my endo looking at a screen :/
    I learned along time ago to get copies of my test. One time i had my thyroid levels tested and was told normal went back a year later and asked for a copy and saw my tsh was 0.02 which was almost nothing when i asked about it i was told that cant be right had to be lab error so i made them do it again and it came back the same. Had a gallbladder hida scan done test was marked normal one doc says normal another says way too high needs to come out . I try to watch all my test results and if i dont think something is right i get on the net and start to research for myself LOL. But i still think your prolactin is way to high unless they are using a different ref range. My tsh was too low which meant i had a hyperactive thyroid , i was given radioactive iodine to kill out part of my thyroid , so my prolactin was high but my tsh was low ( hum )

Old 02-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #11
    trinage
    (female)

trinage HB User

Well i've generally learned not to believe a word the doctors at my surgery say lol i'm more inclined to believe my endo if anyone, there's only 1 okay doctor at my surgery anyway the rest are useless, i have an endo appointment next week again to see what he thinks is best to do next, thing is im not very outspoken XD so even if i think something is wrong i will just keep my head down XD no good.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
    cabin921
    (female)

Quote:
    Well i've generally learned not to believe a word the doctors at my surgery say lol i'm more inclined to believe my endo if anyone, there's only 1 okay doctor at my surgery anyway the rest are useless, i have an endo appointment next week again to see what he thinks is best to do next, thing is im not very outspoken XD so even if i think something is wrong i will just keep my head down XD no good.
    No not good dont just keep your head down ask questions and make them give you answers. I used to be that way but have learned better. We have got to watch out for our health and stay on top of things There are still some good doctors put then there are some im not so sure about but even good doctors miss some things sometimes.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #13
    trinage
    (female)

trinage HB User

Oh no most of the doctors where i go to are just plain crap XD not just with thyroid but with anything else, they'll sometimes just shrug, or plain be insensitive and make you feel uncomfortable, good doctors are hard to find XD. The last doctor i went to about the migraines i suffer with was actually really nice, he even asked me if i felt i was being listened to by my endo, which was odd i haven't been asked that before XD.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #14
    cabin921
    (female)

Quote:
    Oh no most of the doctors where i go to are just plain crap XD not just with thyroid but with anything else, they'll sometimes just shrug, or plain be insensitive and make you feel uncomfortable, good doctors are hard to find XD. The last doctor i went to about the migraines i suffer with was actually really nice, he even asked me if i felt i was being listened to by my endo, which was odd i haven't been asked that before XD.
    Got this off a google search !
    The normal values for prolactin are:

•Males: 2 - 18 ng/mL
    •Nonpregnant females: 2 - 29 ng/mL
    •Pregnant women: 10 - 209 ng/mL
    The examples above are common measurements for results for these tests. Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some lab use different measurements or may test different specimens.Talk to your doctor about the meaning of your specific test

Last edited by cabin921; 02-20-2013 at 11:46 AM.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #15
    trinage
    (female)

trinage HB User

Yeah i've seen a few different ranges online that's why i'm confused not sure what to go on, i may go see a doctor tomorrow just for a chat about the results before i go see my endo, not that i think my endo would be wrong i'm just very impatient XD

Closed Thread

Tags
    prolactin