It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Help!... with my Thryoid test results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
    ALLNISS
    (male)

ALLNISS HB User
    Help!... with my Thryoid test results

Male
    Age = 33
    Weight = 223

I wanted to get some advice based on my test results. I am tempted to try Thyrogold or some other natural Thyroid supplement to see if there is improvement, but want to assess the risk is doing so. Any help is appreciated.

TSH = 2.93 uIu/ML ("Normal Range" = 0.10 - 5.50)

Note: TSH has been as high as 4.04 when tested about a year ago. Normally test between 2.6 and 3

Total T-3 = 67ng/dl ("Normal Range" = 50-170)
    * Doctor wouldn't test FREE T-3 for some reason

Free T-4 = 0.9 ng/dl ("Normal Range" = 0.8-1.7)

Other test

Cortisol Serum = 11.7 ug/dl

Cortisol Total, AM = 12.5 ug/dl ("Standard Range 8.0-25.0")

ACTH = 22 pg/ml ("Standard Range < 46)

B-12 = >1000 (standard range = > 200)

Testosterone Total = 447 ng/dl ("Standard Range" > 220")

Cholesterol = GREAT!

Other test taken such as White Blood count, Vitamin D, Glucose etc...

For the last 5 years or so I have had a list of symptoms that are not debilitating but certainly have affected my life. Through personal research and monitoring my health I had come up with Adrenal Fatigue as a possibility. Read Dr. Wilsons book, did the pupil contraction test etc...

I had never thought about Thyroid as a possible issue. The more I read it really sounds like possibly Hypothyroid. Of course all my test results are in "normal range", but the symptoms are still there. It seems like many of you had the same, but some have found help by self supplementation.

More background... Used to be 292 lbs at my heaviest. Did Atkins in 2005 and lost 50 lbs. Have dieted off and on since then and got down at one point to 206. I eat fairly low to moderate carb because when I eat carbs I tend to crash. My weight fluctuates greatly when seemingly no change in diet. I love to workout and exercise, but for the last year or so when I go to the gym, after about two weeks by body just crashes, I start getting a cold or flu symptoms and my energy is severely low.

Below are some other symptoms that I have that seem to be Thyroid related:
    Symptoms

Often feeling cold (always. People often comment on how cold my hands are)
    Cold hands and feet (average body temp = 96.8 – 97.2)
    Long recovery period after any activity
    Chronic Low Grade Depression
    Hard stools
    No eyebrows or thinning outer eyebrows
    Dry Hair
    Dry cracking skin
    Nodding off easily
    Requires naps in the afternoon
    Inability to concentrate or read long periods of time
    Forgetfulness
    Inability to lose weight
    Always gaining weight
    NO sex drive
    Dry skin or snake skin
    Ringing in ears
    Lactose Intolerance
    Inability to eat in the mornings
    Joint pain
    Excessive fatigue and exhaustion
    Non-refreshing sleep (you get sufficient hours of sleep, but wake fatigued)
    Feeling rundown or overwhelmed
    Consistent lack of energy
    Feeling unrested
    Low stamina
    Muscular weakness
    Slow to recover from exercise, injury, illness or stress
    Poor digestion (have a BM once every 2-3 days)
    Extreme sensitivity to cold
    Afternoon “low” from 2 to 4 pm, followed by an energy boost at 6pm
    Feeling sleepy at 10pm, but resisting going to sleep
    Suffering from mood swings, mild depression
    Lightheadedness when getting up from a sitting or lying down position
    Decreased sex drive
    Frequent sighing

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Help!... with my Thryoid test results

It's usually very hard to get an MD to pay any attention to sub-optimal thyroid labs. Yours are sub-optimal, though. Your FT4 and T3 are only "normal" for perhaps 2% of the population. Your fluctuating high-normal TSH is another indication that your T hormones are lower than the norm. You would benefit from some thyroid replacement, if you can convince an MD of the need.

I can't comment on OTC thyroid "remedies", but I've never seen an instance here of anyone having much success with them. That's likely because the most common cause of hypothyroidism is autoimmune thyroiditis where the gland is damaged and eventually destroyed. Providing OTC raw materials that are supposed to be converted to thyroid hormone won't do any good if the gland is shot.

Speaking of autoimmune disease... Some MDs become convinced to begin treatment if they find positive antibodies. Tests for both TPO and Tg antibodies would be worth a try.

I can't help you with the adrenal angle. I only know that long-standing, untreated hypoT can cause adrenal fatigue and vice versa. And that adrenal fatigue might have to be treated before or during thyroid treatment for the thyroid treatment to be successful.

You may have to consult a holistic type of MD or DO to find treatment. Only some mainstream doctors would "get" what your labs are saying. Next time you go for thyroid tests, be at the lab as early in the morning as you can manage. TSH - which is what most MDs go by - is likelier to be higher then and more apt to convince an MD that it's "abnormal" and worth treatment.

Good luck with it.

Closed Thread