It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Graves Disease but no symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
    epwv82
    (female)

epwv82 HB User
    Graves Disease but no symptoms?

Hi all. My name is Elizabeth. I'm 31 years old, type 1 diabetic since I was 11. I just had my quarterly appointment with my endocrinologist, and got my labs back over the weekend. My TSH was .058 (was .030 in June, but my old endo didn't even mention this to me. My new endo saw it on my chart). My TPO was 325.8 and my Free T4 was 1.79. I have to go in for an iodine scan, but haven't talked with my doctor yet about what this means, but she did mention Graves Disease and that we'd discuss medication when I came back in. So, should I go ahead with medication, even though I have no symptoms? Wait til I have symptoms? Or does not everyone have symptoms of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Graves Disease but no symptoms?

THE definitive test for Graves' disease is the TSI antibody test. You should insist on one before you accept any medication for Graves'. The iodine scan is an outdated test for Graves' and not as accurate as the TSI.

The TPO antibodies are found in the "opposite" disorder from Graves', Hashimoto's thyroiditis. The early stages of Hashi's can produce labs similar to yours, with low TSH and high free T4. You need to be absolutely sure which disease you're dealing with before you start drug treatment.

It would be unusual to have free T4 as high as yours with no symptoms whatever. Have you checked the comprehensive symptoms lists that can be found in our "Thyroid Symptoms ... Information" sticky thread? Could you possibly have some you hadn't thought might be due to a thyroid disorder? There are literally dozens of them.

You really don't have to rush into treatment of any kind until you get a firm diagnosis. I hope you'll let us know what you find out.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
    epwv82
    (female)

epwv82 HB User
    Re: Graves Disease but no symptoms?

I just looked through them and I still can't find one that I have. I don't have shakiy hands, no fatigue (I work 55 hours a week and sleep 7-8 hours a night, good sleep, and feel great during the day), no hair loss, no dry skin. I just don't get it. But I am going to print your reply and ask her about the TSI test. The only symptom I could possibly have is lack of sex drive, but thats been going on since I got my birth control implant in 2 years ago, and 2 years ago my thyroid results were fine. And the most common side effect of Implanon is lack of libido. But I just got a message saying that my appointment is scheduled for the 14th, so hopefully I'll find out soon.

Closed Thread