It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New to boards... going crazy with symptoms

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
    thelisam
    (female)

thelisam HB User
    New to boards... going crazy with symptoms

Hi everyone,
    I am new to this board and had joined the menopause board as I have been having many premenopausal ( or so I thought) symptoms until I got my regular blood work done yesterday. The doc called me today and said to come in right away due to my tsh result. They said it was 80.3! I have been having my thyroid tested every six months to a year for the last eight years and the highest my tsh has ever been was when I felt very ill (tsh 21) and first was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Even last year I must have tested in the low normal range because the dr lowered my synthroid dose from 150mcg's to 137mcg's. Since then I relocated and got a new dr and this is the result. Now I have been feeling pretty awful the last six months but I hag had some other issues going on....I took several bad falls in the course of the year which caused pain to joints and muscles and I most recently had come off the long term use of a benzodiazepine and had what I thought were really bad withdrawal symptoms....but now I'm wondering if some of this is due to low thyroid functioning.
    Last year I was power walking 18 miles a week but could not move an ounce of fat off my body, now I can hardly get through a food shopping trip without pain and fatigue ....hmmm, well now lately I've been feeling tired altot wanting to sleep alot (but try not too) and just plain feeling crummy....
    Can my tsh change that drastically in a years time? From low normal range to 80.3?! I'm thinking about asking to have this test done again as in the past I had some lab work done and they nearly had me sh***ing bricks because the lab put a decimal point in the wrong place and my dr was thinking I had cancer!!
    I'm very confused because of the symptoms I have been having all pointed to premenopausal but now I'm wondering can this be my thyroid or maybe both ughhhhh
    Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: New to boards....going crazy with symptoms

Yes, TSH can change pretty rapidly, which makes it unreliable for diagnosing or treating thyroid disease. Even though MDs are taught that it's the Gold Standard test, it definitely isn't.

Much more important are the free levels of T4 and T3. These are actual thyroid hormones that can be directly and accurately measured. TSH is a pituitary hormone that's only an indirect indicator of thyroid function. It doesn't make a lot of sense to guesstimate a thyroid dose based on a pituitary hormone. Not every MD treats "by the book". Some bother to learn new things once they're out of med school and so, they are better at thyroid than the stubborn non-thinkers.

In order to achieve not just adequate, but optimal treatment, you must get your MD to check your free T4 and free T3. If these are not above 65-70% of their respective lab ranges, you should be allowed to stay on the dose that feels right. Ideally, your TSH would be around 1, no more than 2, when your free Ts are in the right ranges. But truthfully, TSH is moot once you're taking thyroid hormone.

BTW... A doctor who thinks cancer of any kind is tied somehow to TSH isn't too bright. Just saying.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
    thelisam
    (female)

thelisam HB User
    Re: New to boards....going crazy with symptoms

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Yes, TSH can change pretty rapidly, which makes it unreliable for diagnosing or treating thyroid disease. Even though MDs are taught that it's the Gold Standard test, it definitely isn't.

Much more important are the free levels of T4 and T3. These are actual thyroid hormones that can be directly and accurately measured. TSH is a pituitary hormone that's only an indirect indicator of thyroid function. It doesn't make a lot of sense to guesstimate a thyroid dose based on a pituitary hormone. Not every MD treats "by the book". Some bother to learn new things once they're out of med school and so, they are better at thyroid than the stubborn non-thinkers.

In order to achieve not just adequate, but optimal treatment, you must get your MD to check your free T4 and free T3. If these are not above 65-70% of their respective lab ranges, you should be allowed to stay on the dose that feels right. Ideally, your TSH would be around 1, no more than 2, when your free Ts are in the right ranges. But truthfully, TSH is moot once you're taking thyroid hormone.

BTW... A doctor who thinks cancer of any kind is tied somehow to TSH isn't too bright. Just saying.
    Thank you! I will bring this up on my visit with the Dr. This Dr is not the same dr who thought I had cancer, I left him yrs ago.

Closed Thread

Tags
    high tsh, hypothyrodism, perimenopause symptoms