It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Test Results, Why no T3 number?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #1
    CindyinAtl
    (female)

CindyinAtl HB User
    Test Results, Why no T3 number?

My gyno found a "small nodule on the left lower lobe" of the my thyroid during routine examination and referred me to my doctor. I had never noticed it before. But now that I know were it is I can see it in the mirror when I swallow. She also did a blood test for the thyroid so that I could take the results to my doctor. Here are the results from the report:

The report comments that "the current lot of free T4 reagent available from the manufacturere produces results that are approximatley 9% higher than previous reagent lots. Please interpret these results accordingly."

TSH 1.87 (reference range 0.40 - 4.50 mIU/L) IN RANGE
    T4, FREE 1.0 (reference range 0.8 - 1.8 ng/dL) IN RANGE

Am I to interpret that these results are off by 9% or would they have modified the range to account for the different reagent lot?

I thought there would be more to the test than this. Did she run the wrong test? Shouldn't there be a T3 number and some others? Its going to irritate me if I have to do a repeat blood test on Tuesday. That is when I will see my internist and hopefully be referred to and endo. This is scaring me and I want to get answers NOW!

Those of you experienced with these tests, do these numbers mean anything to you as it relates to having a nodule?

CindyinAtl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Test Results, Why no T3 number?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CindyinAtl View Post
    The report comments that "the current lot of free T4 reagent available from the manufacturere produces results that are approximatley 9% higher than previous reagent lots. Please interpret these results accordingly."
    Am I to interpret that these results are off by 9% or would they have modified the range to account for the different reagent lot?
    I've never seen this before, but it appears to me that your result of 1.0 might actually be 9% higher than that. The range does not appear altered to reflect that, because it's the most typical one for labs to use.

Lab median for free T4 would be 1.3. That's the point at which some people notice hypoT symptoms. Lower than that, most people feel symptoms. Add 9% to that 1.0, and it becomes only 1.09. You're hypothyroid, according to low FT4 and symptoms.

There hasn't been a free T3 test done. Strictly speaking, it's a more useful test to determine why treatment for hypoT isn't working well... At least, in my lay opinion. If it were me, I wouldn't press the issue just yet. Others feel differently, I'm sure.

Blood tests never relate to nodules. Nodules are evaluated separately by imaging testing, usually ultrasound. If they are larger than 1 cm, they are aspirated using fine needle technique.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
    CindyinAtl
    (female)

CindyinAtl HB User

"I've never seen this before, but it appears to me that your result of 1.0 might actually be 9% higher than that. The range does not appear altered to reflect that, because it's the most typical one for labs to use.

Lab median for free T4 would be 1.3. That's the point at which some people notice hypoT symptoms. Lower than that, most people feel symptoms. Add 9% to that 1.0, and it becomes only 1.09. You're hypothyroid, according to low FT4 and symptoms. "

I had actually thought that my results were inflated by 9% so that my T4 would be around .91 with a different reagent. I'll ask the doc the significance of that comment and what it would mean to my numbers. I actually have a few symptoms of hypo. But, that could also be my imagination which has gone wild while waiting on my doc appointment. Its possible she will repeat the blood test anyway.

Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, of course... You're right about the math. It never was my strongest suit.

But 9% in either direction is really insignificant in the scheme of things. You're still hypothyroid. I have no doubt.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:18 AM   #5
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
    Blood tests never relate to nodules. Nodules are evaluated separately by imaging testing, usually ultrasound. If they are larger than 1 cm, they are aspirated using fine needle technique.
    Some nodules are 'hot' and produce thyroid hormone independent of TSH levels, but since T4 is in the normal range that's not happening here. So yeah, Ultrasound and anything over 1cm usually gets an FNA biopsy. Anything smaller gets watched. If the FNA shows nothing, then standard care is to watch it over time. If the doctor orders an FNA don't stress, it's pretty much painless. And most nodules are nothing.

Closed Thread

Tags
    thyroid test results