It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Living with Thyroidectomy, Lab tests, DR?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
    bigguy2211
    (male)

bigguy2211 HB User
    Living with Thyroidectomy, Lab tests, DR?

I just joined the forum, and sorry for starting a thread before looking around first, I know I may get the third degree, sorry but I wanted to hear some expert advise, current stuff.

I am a 31 year old man, and at age 7, I had my thyroid removed for a benign tumor on it. Every since then, until about three years ago, I was just floating along letting the doctors take care of things. Three years ago, my mother got me a book at the library and told me to read it, "The Thyroid Solution" by Ridha Arem, though it was more geared towards women, I was blown away by how much I didn't know and should. But I'm still a little cloudy on a few things and was hoping to gain some insight to others opinions.

I have been seeing a general practice doctor for about ten years, and thought that he was doing a great job until educating myself on the thyroid gland. Over the last three years, he has me come in every six months and have my lab work done to see where my tsh and free t4 levels are, he never does free t3 levels. After getting the lab results, my tsh will show hypo, and he will raise my medicine. Then I come in after six months, feeling like crap, and my tsh shows that I'm hyper, and he will lower my medicine. Its been an up and down roller coaster ride for the three years I been keeping up with my lab results.

Here lately I feel like crap, I would love to know just where my numbers need to be to feel optimal but I've not been given the chance from this doctor, so I don't have a clue where my tsh and ft4 or ft3 levels should be. I am so tired and because of that, I feel irritable, and I am snapping at people, something I rarely ever do, and I'm scared Im going to lose my job.

I suspect my thyroid medicine is not where it should be, I think my thyroid situation is why I feel so bad lately. Im getting plenty of rest, I eat healthy, am very active, and I feel like crap.

Anyway, I have been taking synthyroid since 1989 and up until 2007, and because of my insurance i am on levothyroxine. I have been taking .150mcg and .175mcg when my doctor recommends every six months. He doesn't like me doing it but I insist on having lab work done within every three months. Last I went was in Sept 2012 and my TSH was .259, FT4 1.2, and my doctor put me on .150mcg from .175mcg. Then the next month, TSH:1.617, FT4:1.2. I went four months before having lab done again and the results where, TSH:2.69, FT4:1.2, and the doctor recommended staying on the .150mcg.

I should say three days ago I felt terrible but I went and hopefully fixed the problem, I had another prescription left of .175mcg, and have been taking them for the last three days, and I am slowly begining to feel a little better.

A few questions, what test should I require my doctor take, should I find a doctor that will listen to how I feel and not just keep numbers between lab ranges, how ofter should I have my thyroid lab work done, every 3 months or 6? Im still learning all that I can about the thyroid gland and the means to making thyroid suffers feel better but I'm still a little confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
    cahwest
    (female)

cahwest HB User
    Re: Living with Thyroidectomy, Lab tests, DR?

you need to share lab ranges to allow the best input from others - the numbers in absolute fashion vary. Also I would argue it matters more how you feel that necessary what the labs say - you could be at one level where I could need something very different. I am on synthroid so don't know the equivalent dosages but sometime you need to advocate for just the right tweak before it works - my mother ended up on on 118 one day, 125 the next (also synthroid) to get to the right place - which was partially labs and partially how she felt.

Hope that give you some place to start and encourage you to read the boards - there is lots of great information in here

Old 03-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
    bigguy2211
    (male)

bigguy2211 HB User
    Re: Living with Thyroidectomy, Lab tests, DR?

. 350-4.940 lab range for tsh
    . 70-1.48 for free t4 lab range

My lab results from last Thursday where
    1.2 free t4
    2.59 tsh

Felt really tired and irritable

Last edited by bigguy2211; 03-04-2013 at 03:22 PM.

Closed Thread