It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Could it be thyroid?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Could it be thyroid? (with results)

Hey everyone, I just found these forums and just had to post hoping to find someone who might have a clue as to what I might have or where to look.

I'm a 25 year old male, sick for over a year and a half now and so far the 5 doctors I've seen have no idea what's wrong with me.

In early 2011 I began noticing that I was belching and burping an awful lot, for no apparent reason. By the summer I was having burping fits lasting around 30-60 minutes where I got extremely nauseous and would retch without ever vomiting (only air) and it would subside somewhat, though I always belch every few minutes or so.

Saw 3 doctors who put me on PPI for "obvious GERD" though I never had any burning, pain or cough. Antacids and PPIs did reduce the amount of belching for a month or two, then it came back with a vengeance to a point where it would prevent me from eating and sleeping normally. I lost over 30 pounds in a few weeks during a "flare" because I couldn't get myself to eat anything. (From 155 pounds to 125 for a 5'8 man)

I went to see a gastroenterologist who said it was obviously GERD, had me pass a gastroscopy only to find out everything was perfectly normal. At that time I thought it might be Celiac or something, but biopsies came back negative. (Also got tested for intestinal parasites) After that he came to me and said I was perfectly normal, wouldn't need to see him again and that I must simply be swallowing air. For 60 minutes straight. And that it made me nauseous all day long and stopped me from eating and sleeping. I swear I could've punched him XD

I'm now seeing a nephrologist because the only abnormality I had at that point was elevated calcium with low Vit. D on 2 blood tests. She ran kidney tests and everything came back fine, and even though she never told me she ran tests for multiple myeloma (God I wish I never looked that up, awaiting those results was the worst month of my life) which luckily came back negative as well.

For the past few months I've noticed a decrease in my belching, but I'm getting nauseated all the time, extremely tired (sleep 10-12 hours a day, wake up tired, often crash in the afternoon and have to lay down), can't think straight, have no motivation at work, feel lightheaded couple times a day and just feel so "unwell".

Here in Quebec doctors are overwhelmed and can't spend much time investigating, so I'm searching on the web, reading tons of books, but problem is my symptoms are way too vague and common...

I've been reading a lot on Thyroid and Adrenals lately and though I do recognize a lot of signs and symptoms, there are others I don't see at all and I wonder what you guys think.

Wow, I realize this is a pretty big wall of text so here's a summary of my situation right now:

TL;DR version

25 year old male, onset of symptoms around 1-2 years, which seems vary in intensity for no apparent reason (some OK weeks, some terrible weeks...)

Symptoms:
    • Heavy belching / burping / bloating (not linked to food or meals)
    • Constant Nausea, worse before meals
    • Very low appetite, especially morning/noon
    • Constantly tired (even with 10-12 hours of sleep)
    • Random "crashes" through the day where I have to lay down
    • Frequent lightheadedness
    • Frequent headaches
    • Frequent neck pains / stiffness / cramps (around SCM muscle/jaw)
    • NO motivation, mild depression
    • Brain fog, lose train of thoughts
    • Constantly bloodshot eyes, often itchy or irritated (winter here so not hay fever)
    • Hands and feet always cold, sometimes purple-ish
    • Low body temperature (from 35.0C (95.0F) to a high of 36.2C (97.2F) / 36.9C (98.4F) depending on days

Currently, my only out of range lab findings are:
    • low vitamin D (which resolved through supplements)
    • High total calcium (normal ionized) which came back normal in a test last month
    • High albumin (caused the high calcium?) which returned to normal in my last test
    • Somewhat high free light chain ratio (which scared the hell out of me, along with the high calcium) which also returned to normal in my last tests
    • Lightly lactescent serum
    • Light icteric serum (jaundice) with negative Hepatitis tests
    • TSH that moved from 4.2 to 4.6 mU/L in last tests (reference 0.3 - 4.0)
    • Free T4 of 16 pmol/L (ref 12 - 22)

Could I be suffering from thyroid problems even though my T4 is within range and my TSH just slightly above range?

All I can think about right now are thyroid problems, adrenal problems, various autoimmune diseases with somewhat vague symptoms or maybe Lyme disease, and I intend to ask my dr. for more tests like free T3 and 24h Cortisol.

Last edited by light472; 03-06-2013 at 09:23 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
    Re: Could it be thyroid?

>All I can think about right now are thyroid problems, adrenal problems, various autoimmune diseases with somewhat vague symptoms or maybe Lyme disease, and I intend to ask my dr. for more tests like free T3 and 24h Cortisol.

Add testosterone and growth hormone to that. I'm assuming you had a blood workup to rule out things like leukemia, electrolyte imbalances etc.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Re: Could it be thyroid?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloom View Post
    Add testosterone and growth hormone to that. I'm assuming you had a blood workup to rule out things like leukemia, electrolyte imbalances etc.
    Will do, thanks. I've a one or two complete blood count which came back perfectly fine so I think this would rule out leukemia? I've also had electrolytes tested (sodium, magnesium, calcium, chloride and few other things, all well in range) which is where we found high calcium which is now in range it would seem.

Closed Thread

Tags
    adrenal, belching, fatigue, thyroid