It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Low Ferritin, Iron Shot, Next Steps??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
    junk43yard
    (male)

junk43yard HB User
    Low Ferritin, Iron Shot, Next Steps??

I have been on NDT for only 2 months, and it wasn't making a big difference. I asked my doctor to test my ferritin, and when we got the result, we saw it was very low:

12 [range 24-336 ug/L]

He insisted on a shot of Iron in my buttocks on the spot. Since the visit and shot, I have read all about being hypothryoid, and how it can cause low ferritin. (And even how low iron can cause hypothyroidism, too.)

What should we do next?

1. My reading on this matter tells me get tested in:
    Ferritin
    Serum iron
    TIBC
    % Saturation

2. Start taking an oral iron supplement.

3. Hold off on increasing my NDT dosage until Iron levels are better (since low iron makes it hard to absorb the NDT and process T3)

Does this make sense? Number three is especially concerning because my T4 and T3 are low, and I had only just started to ramp up my NDT from zero. I got to 2 grains without a big change (in fact T3 went down) and I figure it is because of the iron?

Thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
    Tired63
    (female)

Tired63 HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin, Iron Shot, Next Steps??

Hi,
    I too have just been told my Ferritin was low. Mine was 14 (range was 22-190). I was diagnosed as hypothyroid in July 2012 and have been on Levothroid since. I was complaining of continued fatigue so she retested my TSH and decided to also test my Ferritin level. My TSH also crept up to 3.92 (range .50-5.5) so the Dr also increase my Levothroid from 75mg to 100. Interesting what you say about holding off on increasing thyroid meds until the iron levels normalize.

I have also noticed a significant decrease in my body temperature. I have always been > 98 and since Nov I have not been higher than 97.5 and in the last few days 96.4. It's very strange. I just want to feel better. It's been a difficult few years! I did not mean to hi jack your post...I'm just not sure what this all means.

Thank you

Old 03-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
    junk43yard
    (male)

junk43yard HB User
    Re: Low Ferritin, Iron Shot, Next Steps??

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tired63 View Post
    Interesting what you say about holding off on increasing thyroid meds until the iron levels normalize.
    Yes, well because it is well known that low iron (and low iodine and low selenium) can interfere with the conversion of T4 to T3, it just makes sense to get my iron in check before bumping up my NDT. But, I have read elsewhere that people do in fact raise their dosage even with low iron because it is so hard to get iron up!

That said, I have decided to pull out all of the stops to get my iron up, and keep my NDT as it is until my iron improves. I am going to get another iron shot, and I have already begun taking 3x proferrin per day.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tired63 View Post
    I did not mean to hi jack your post...I'm just not sure what this all means.
    No worries. I am just thankful for *any* kind of reply. I have posted in many thyroid groups and it seems very hard to get responses. I am having to glean what info I can by reading archives and doing google searches. Good luck with your own situation.

Closed Thread