It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Can someone help me with my thyroid and bloodwork results pleaseeee

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
    Mich8840
    (male)

Mich8840 HB User
    Question Can someone help me with my thyroid and bloodwork results pleaseeee

Hi! Im new to this, but for short I am an 18 year old male, 170 pounds, and 5 foot 11. So for my background, I was a high intensity sports player since I was able to walk, always healthy, no issues of any kind up until about 2 years ago at age 16. Around that time, being a high school lacrosse player with a bright future ahead of me in sports, my health seemed to change. The first problem I began to have was constantly being EXHAUSTED. Though it was a struggle, I could manage. Then, even being as tired as I was all the time, I began staying awake very late at night for no reason at all and once I did manage to fall asleep, I could sleep through the night, and all through the next day. I could honestly sleep all day with no effort at all if nobody forced me to wake up or I didnt force myself. At the time, I was a very very slender kid weighing in at 130 pounds and being 5'11. I actually looked too skinny and unhealthy which alot of people told me, though I ate very often, heathy, and if anything tried to gain weight. Though I was skinny I was in good athletic shape for my sport (lacrosse) and I played very well. After the tiredness began, I started losing my concentration in school and work. Gradually, I became more confused and my grades declined from a 3.5 gpa to a 2.8. Then came the brain fog. I just generally did not feel like myself and it greatly bothered me. My hair became very brittle and thin to the point where its so light it almost looks grey (I have black hair). My facial hair also grew thin and I stopped growing hair all together on some parts of my face and body. I grew depressed and very anxious for no apparent reason. I had absolutely no reason to feel this way and still dont. I went from being a starting varsity player to a backup and never played. I was clumsy, so anxious I couldnt complete simple tasks or conversations, and off balance. My vision seems to have change (though it could be the brain fog or lack of attention span lol) and after graduating half a year ago from high school, my too skinny of a body gained a rapid 35 to 40 pounds of some serious unhealthy weight. Others say I look healthier with the weight and look somewhat more normal, but I do not feel it. And no I dont eat because im depressed lol its more so Im anxious about little things. My confidence and motivation has plummeted, and its not that i feel down on myself or anything I just feel like my emotions in general are not there anymore, including being sad. I dont feel much my life feels like such a blur now I cant believe im even writing this long hahaha but I also saw thinning in the outsides of my eyebrows as well. My skin and scalp are ridiculously dry now especially after my shower so I think that can contribute to the thinning hair? I read alot about these symptoms being related to thyroid issues (which runs in the family, grandma and aunt on dads side hypo, grandma and aunt on dads side hypo (grandma had goiter and whole thyroid removed) So i asked my doctor to do some blood work and here are my results (which he says are normal). Anybody who has any insight for me and actually took the time to read this I really appreciate your help and just begging to feel better. Alot of people actually believe I am a hypochondriac or whatever and may actually be making this up, yet its funny i completely hated the doctors office until 2 years ago. Here are all of my bloodwork results and thank you all very much!

TSH w/ Reflex to FT4- .12 L (Range .5 - 4.3)
    Free T4 - 1.5 H (Range .9 - 1.4)
    Free T3 - 4.9 H (Range 2.9 - 4.6)
    Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies - <10 (range <35)
    White Blood Cell Count - 6.2 (range 4.5- 13)
    Red Blood Cell Count - 5.11 (range 4.1 - 5.7)
    Hemoglobin - 16.6 (range 12.0 - 16.9)
    Hematocrit - 47.9 (range 36 - 49)
    MCV - 93.8 (range 78-98)
    MCH - 32.5 (range 25-35)
    MCHC - 34.6 (range 31-36)
    RDW - 12.5 (range 11-15)
    Platelet Count - 192 (range 140-400)

Testosterone, Total, Males - 698 (range 241-827)

KEEP IN MIND (all of this data was taken one week after taking an extremely small amount of a natural dessicated thyroid horomone called Thyro-Gold, which did relieve little to no symptoms)

Thank you for looking at my lab work and I hope one of you can point me in the direction of a solution.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
    Surfing4answers
    (female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
    Re: Can someone help me with my thyroid and bloodwork results pleaseeee

Hi Mich,

Being on meds for your blood tests may have skewed your results a bit, even at small amounts, TSH can be suppressed by NDT. However, the only suggestion I can give on what I have read in my own search for answers is a possible goiter, this can cause low TSH and high frees without antibodies. It might be worth asking your doc to look into this. Read up all you can so that you are informed. You will be your own best advocate!

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
    Mich8840 (03-09-2013)
    Old 03-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mich8840 View Post
    Hi! Im new to this, but for short I am an 18 year old male, 170 pounds, and 5 foot 11.Here are all of my bloodwork results and thank you all very much!

TSH w/ Reflex to FT4- .12 L (Range .5 - 4.3)
    Free T4 - 1.5 H (Range .9 - 1.4)
    Free T3 - 4.9 H (Range 2.9 - 4.6)
    Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies - <10 (range <35)
    White Blood Cell Count - 6.2 (range 4.5- 13)
    Red Blood Cell Count - 5.11 (range 4.1 - 5.7)
    Hemoglobin - 16.6 (range 12.0 - 16.9)
    Hematocrit - 47.9 (range 36 - 49)
    MCV - 93.8 (range 78-98)
    MCH - 32.5 (range 25-35)
    MCHC - 34.6 (range 31-36)
    RDW - 12.5 (range 11-15)
    Platelet Count - 192 (range 140-400)

Testosterone, Total, Males - 698 (range 241-827)

KEEP IN MIND (all of this data was taken one week after taking an extremely small amount of a natural dessicated thyroid horomone called Thyro-Gold, which did relieve little to no symptoms)

Thank you for looking at my lab work and I hope one of you can point me in the direction of a solution.
    First off, I do not think taking thyroid meds and then doing a blood test is going to tell you anything. The proper thing to do is ignore these thyroid test results (the TSH, T4 and T3). and retake these. (Also do not self-medicate and not tell your doctor what you are doing). I suspect your thyroid is okay, since, the results are as you'd expect from taking thyroid meds when your thyroid is normal. T4 and T3 go up, TSH goes down.

>Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies - <10 (range <35)

Looks okay, this is a test for auto-immune thyroid disease. I don't think it's the only antibody test. (Someone else can comment on that). This number is 'prefect'

>Testosterone, Total, Males - 698 (range 241-827)

Low testosterone can cause symptoms similar to yours, but this number is good. So that isn't the problem. (A more specific test is Free Testosterone)

Two more things that need to be ruled out.

Diabetes it's likely you've already had a blood test for diabetes (glucose), ask the doctor to make sure. Diabetes is so common and serious that no one will turn you down if you ask for a test.

And Adrenal function. If your adrenal glands are not producing enough hormones, it can also make you feel like this. From what I've read adrenal tests are very tricky to sort out and any given test by itself tells you little. Again from what I've read Adrenal problems are rare but not that rare and often missed or ignored.

Also: Have your vitamin D and B12 levels checked. If you are not taking vitamin supplements, don't start until after you take these tests.

Last edited by gloom; 03-08-2013 at 07:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to gloom For This Useful Post:
    Mich8840 (03-09-2013)
    Old 06-27-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
    Sonsick
    (female)

Sonsick HB User

My son for the last year 1/2 has been going through the same things as you Describe. He is 14 going on 15 stared when he was 13 1/2. He has ever test you could Imagine. I have always thought it was Hypothyroidism just by the his symptoms. He had 3 different thyroid test with the last one coming back with a low T-4. His family doctor sent him to Endo doctor who ran the test again. The test came back Negative for Hypothyroidism and said he can't help us and to go back to family doctor. Went back to family doctor with new test result and he looked at them and said they still seem low and because he has a lot of the symptoms of Hypothyroidism that he wants to treat with the drugs and see if it helps. Sometimes you just need to find a doctor who is will to look at the symptoms and not just the test. All this happened today so I don't know if its the answer for my son but I pray it works because he feels like crap. I also pray you've found some help.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

A lot depends on how long you took the thyroid and the dose. These results may or may not be accurate depending on that. They are barely elevated, so I would just ask for a recheck in a month and see where they are. If you took the thyroid less than a week, that should be long enough. Also, ask for an anti thyroglobulin antibody test, the other thyroid antibody since TPO was negative. All the rest of your results look great. Sorry you are going thru this, but you should know something soon.

Closed Thread

Tags
    brain fog, symptoms included, thyroid blood test