It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• TSH really low and Dr. wants to increase Synthroid?!?!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #1
    cd1975
    (female)

cd1975 HB User
    TSH really low and Dr. wants to increase Synthroid?!?!

Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping someone can give me some info. A brief history, I was dx with Hashimotos in my early 20's but was told my labs showed I didn't need any meds yet. After the birth of my 1st child (9yrs ago this month) I was told I needed to start synthroid, I was put on 50mcg. I openly admit to being an idiot and never requesting labs. I stayed on that dose for YEARS, I was told when I got pregnant with my 2nd that I should expect a big increase but all my labs remained consistant so I was never increased (she was born 3yrs ago next month).. 2 yrs ago we moved and I switched doctors, during our initial talks she decided to double my dose to 100mcg based on my complaints (inability to lose weight, foggy feeling, hair falling out, etc) and then do blood work. She's been messing with my dose since then, as doing that pushed my numbers into hyper she dropped the synthroid down (to 88mcg) after months and months on that and still not feeling better I did some research and insisted she add cytomel. She did at 25mcg which I split and take 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the afternoon. She dropped my synthroid to 75mcg. I started feeling better really quickly, my freezing hands and feet went away and my foggy feeling lifted, weight was still bad though and seemed to be increasing ever since my synthroid had been increased in the first place actually. I went back and she told me that I needed to decrease my cytomel (skip one pill a week) and she was increasing my synthroid back to 88mcg. That was 3 months ago and I've felt off since then, hard to put into words but I just don't feel right so I decided this time to insist on seeing my labs msyelf. I had my blood draw last week and saw her yesterday. She said that I again needed an increase in synthroid, she wants me back at 100mcg and to keep the cytomel at 25mcg. I asked for my labs as I was leaving and was floored when I got into the car. My TSH is 0.01 my FREE T3 is 3.2 and my FREE T4 is .50 (I also saw my previous which had my TSH at 0.07) so when she did the increase in my synthroid last time it made my TSH drop even lower. Isn't synthroid given to lower TSH & T4? Why would she be increasing my synthroid if my TSH is so low at 0.01? I haven't called the office yet since honestly I dislike the staff and have a very hard time understanding my doctor in person, so I suspect on the phone will be even worse. I wanted some info before I talk to her anyways. Everything I'm reading online says synthroid is given to lower TSH, mine clearly doesn't need to go lower... shouldn't I be reducing the amount taken?

*also wanted to add that my blood pressure is always really good, 117 or 120 top number... yesterday it was 130 which surprised me and that was her 2nd reading the first she said was higher (sorry I can't remember the bottom number, I had my 2 kids with me so it was a bit crazy)
    Thank you in advance!

Last edited by cd1975; 03-09-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: adding info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
    Re: TSH really low and Dr. wants to increase Synthroid?!?!

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board
    Synthroid is synthetic T4 hormone that makes your FT4 (and ideally FT3) rise, TSH drops in the process - so you don't treat high TSH but low thyroid hormones. TSH itself doesn't cause symptoms no matter what the level, too low or too high thyroid levels would do that. Usually with plain T4 one's TSH isn't easily suppressed but with T3 (Cytomel) it is another matter. T3 is known to easily suppress one's TSH and that's ok - you would probably be undermedicated if your TSH was higher.

You didn't post reference ranges (it would be great if you did) but your FT4 looks dreadfully low and I can totally understand why your doc would want to increase your Synthroid dose.

T4 is supposed to be converted to active T3 hormone in your body and if that doesn't happen sufficiently you need the added T3. So T4 is more of a storage hormone, but you can certainly feel "off" if your FT4 is too low for Your needs even if your FT3 was fine.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
    cd1975
    (female)

cd1975 HB User

Thank you for the reply. Here are the reference ranges.

TSH 0.01L (.34-4.82 uIU/ML)
    FREE T3 3.2 (2.1-4.1 pg/mL)
    FREE T4 0.50L (0.52-1.40 ng/dL

What she said was "your TSH is too low, we need to increase" that's what's confusing me, so you're saying that increasing my synthroid isn't going to drop that even lower? You agree that my synthroid should be upped to 100mcg?

Old 03-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
    FinnMaid
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cd1975 View Post
    What she said was "your TSH is too low, we need to increase" that's what's confusing me, so you're saying that increasing my synthroid isn't going to drop that even lower? You agree that my synthroid should be upped to 100mcg?
    She must have mixed things up somehow - your FT4 is too low and you're symptomatic, that's why you need the increase. Your TSH really can't be much lower than that but I would not worry about it as it really doesn't harm you (mine has been that low for the past 7 years and my doses have never been adjusted based on it).

Last edited by FinnMaid; 03-09-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
    cd1975
    (female)

cd1975 HB User

Thank you again, I'm feeling better now and less worried. I wish she would have explained it like you did

Closed Thread