It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• thyroid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
    overcommingpain
    (female)

overcommingpain HB User
    thyroid

Hello everyone...I am new to this but am intrigued by the amount of information on this site.

I just recently had my thyroid levels tested because the Dr. believed that I was showing signs of Hashimoto's (exhausted, cold hands and feet, goitre, Raynaud's, shortness of breath, weight gain in spite of eating healthy and 40 mins of walking each day, my temp will also dip down very low, lowest ever was 33.1 c.). The test came back and he advised...well the secretary advised they were fine but to make sure I go ahead with my ultrasound that was booked. I asked for a hard copy of my results and when I received them I was confused!
    TSH -- 4.2 (0.35 - 5.0)
    Free T4 --17 (12 - 22)
    Free T3 -- 6 H (2.6 -5.7)
    Now from everything I have read, I believe that your TSH and T3/T4 numbers work like a see-saw. When one is up the other goes down. Am I understanding this right? Mine are all high on the normal range with the exception of my T3 being High. Is this normal?
    I have had my ultra sound done since then and the lady who did my ultra sound was very forth coming. She advised as soon as she applied the thing to my neck, "WOW, well there certainly is something going on here"! She then went on to tell me that my thyroid was enlarged with an uneven texture and multi nodular. That was on a Friday and advised that the Dr. will have the test results on Monday. Well my Dr. , of course, is away on vacation...so here I am, dazed and confused as what to think. I have been so unwell for as long as I can remember and can not stand the thought of my GP telling me that there is nothing to worry about....unless...there is nothing to worry about.
    Please help with any idea of what may be going on!

Last edited by overcommingpain; 03-09-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: trying to direct it to thyroid disorders

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
    Re: thyroid

"Now from everything I have read, I believe that your TSH and T3/T4 numbers work like a see-saw. When one is up the other goes down. Am I understanding this right? Mine are all high on the normal range with the exception of my T3 being High. Is this normal?"

Odd. You are right, normally TSH and T4/T3 go in opposite directions. Classic is T4 low and TSH somewhere like 25, 50, 100. However, classic symptoms come from years of untreated disease. Irritating thing about early stages of either is hormones can swing up and down.

"She then went on to tell me that my thyroid was enlarged with an uneven texture and multi nodular."

I'd say that the uneven texture points at possible autoimmune disease (graves or Hashimotos) maybe.

I'd expect your doctor to test again, and run antibody tests as well to hopefully verify Hashimotos. With some people who have Hashimotos the antibody tests are negative. So a negative test doesn't rule it out.

Good luck.

PS: Being ignored is a universal complaint for people with endocrine problems. I read somewhere that the average time it takes people between onset of symptoms and being diagnosed is three years. I know someone that spent six years on antidepressants before an acute care nurse noted her goiter.

The Following User Says Thank You to gloom For This Useful Post:
    overcommingpain (03-11-2013)
    Old 03-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gloom View Post
    PS: Being ignored is a universal complaint for people with endocrine problems. I read somewhere that the average time it takes people between onset of symptoms and being diagnosed is three years.
    Also... I read an article written by a thyroid-savvy MD who said it takes women at least 6 med consultations (with different MDs) before a thyroid diagnosis is made. That's how universal thyroid ignorance is in the 'profession' and how often women are labeled hypochondriacs.

The hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis often is "broken" in cases of thyroid disease. So that "see-saw" action you ask about works for healthy people; that's why they're healthy! For the rest of us already affected by TD, nothing is a guarantee.

Your TSH is higher than that of the average healthy person (1.0). The oddity of your higher T4/T3 might be explained by early autoimmune thyroiditis, which is as gloom said... indicated by your gland's uneven texture.

It appears you indeed have some kind of thyroid dysfunction and are in early thyroid failure. Hopefully, you will be persistent enough to find a really smart thyroid doctor who recognizes that so you won't have to suffer needlessly until your gland fails totally.

Hang in there. Keep educating yourself about thyroid matters so you can be your own best advocate.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-11-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
    overcommingpain
    (female)

overcommingpain HB User

Thank you for your quick reply Gloom and Midwest! Yes I will continue to educate myself as best as my foggy, thick brain will allow,lol. It scares me to think about how many people go through their lives thinking this is how it is, yet knowing they don't come anywhere near feeling "normal". I had resigned myself to this level of exhaustion and pain (Arthritis, Raynaud's and Fibro Diagnosis...now makes me wonder) that has been going on for over twenty years. 2 years ago, after 15 years of suffering I gave in to nerve pain meds and anti-depressants. After a year on the meds I weaned myself off of them because they didn't make a difference. Needless to say the dr.s weren't very happy but I as well believe in being your own advocate. Thank you again for being an educated voice...because others are listening!

Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
    Lovelybubbles
    (female)

Lovelybubbles HB User

Only recently been diagnosed with hypothyroidism or whatever they call it lol and had some result of a 9, not sure of what out of what as my memory is rubbish and I didn't take notes, anyways, my doctor has been testing my bloods every 2 years for a good few years now and finally can say I have this condition, but he said that they are not allowed administer treatment for the condition until it reaches a certain point, and even though for years they can see it going the wrong way etc, they cannot do anything about it by rules of the medical council or governing body... he's very good at explaining reasons to be fair so I kinda believe what he says, so even though some people would say being misdiagnosed for years, I would say no, that they can't treat it til it's gone beyond anyone think that makes sense?

The following user gives a hug of support to Lovelybubbles:
    overcommingpain (03-23-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Lovelybubbles For This Useful Post:
    overcommingpain (03-14-2013)
    Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
    overcommingpain
    (female)

overcommingpain HB User

well I got my ultra sound back and it read as follows:

Both lobes are prominent. right is 56 x 20 x 22mm and the left is 47 x 20 x 22mm.

There is an irregular coarsened echo pattern in both lobes and there are 2 nodules visible on the right side. 16 x 14mm and 9 x 7mm

The anterior nodule is not seen clearly because of some calcification at it's anterior border producing acoustic shadowing and limiting visualization of the posterior aspect.

The posterior nodule is seen clearly and is mainly isoechoic with a hypoechoic rim.

There are three solid nodules visible in the left lobe, 9 x 7mm, 13 x 10mm and 16 x 12mm. These nodules are also isoechoic with a hypoechoic rim.

NOW my Dr. has advised that everything looks fine.

CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME THAT EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE! please explain hypoechoic rim? and calcification ? please and thank you,
    Joan

Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
    overcommingpain
    (female)

overcommingpain HB User
    Re: thyroid ultra sound calcification and hypoechoic rim???

well I got my ultra sound back and it read as follows:

Both lobes are prominent. right is 56 x 20 x 22mm and the left is 47 x 20 x 22mm.

There is an irregular coarsened echo pattern in both lobes and there are 2 nodules visible on the right side. 16 x 14mm and 9 x 7mm

The anterior nodule is not seen clearly because of some calcification at it's anterior border producing acoustic shadowing and limiting visualization of the posterior aspect.

The posterior nodule is seen clearly and is mainly isoechoic with a hypoechoic rim.

There are three solid nodules visible in the left lobe, 9 x 7mm, 13 x 10mm and 16 x 12mm. These nodules are also isoechoic with a hypoechoic rim.

CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME THAT EVERYTHING SEEMS FINE! please explain hypoechoic rim? and calcification ? please and thank you,
    Joan

Old 03-22-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by overcommingpain View Post

Joan
    Did your doctor put you in for a thyroid antibody panel? And an FNA of those nodules?

Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
    overcommingpain
    (female)

overcommingpain HB User

Hi Gloom and thank you for your interest in helping me! Yes my Thyroid Peroxidase AB was <10. Reference range is <35 KIU/L.

As for the FNA I had to go back to my Dr. and pretty much demand an FNA. He advised that everything looks normal and pretty much just got rid of me by referring me to an ENT for a FNA. When I asked about seeing an Endo he said that the ENT would do.

As a side note my mother was diagnosed with throat cancer and had months of radiation treatment 7 years ago.. She has thankfully been cancer free since then. I would think with this kind of family history the Doc would be more apt to look into my symptoms.

Old 03-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #10
    overcommingpain
    (female)

overcommingpain HB User

Hi Gloom and thank you for your interest in helping me!

Yes my Thyroid Peroxidase AB was <10. Reference range is <35 KIU/L.

As for the FNA I had to go back to my Dr. and pretty much demand an FNA. He advised that everything looks normal and pretty much just got rid of me by referring me to an ENT for a FNA. When I asked about seeing an Endo he said that the ENT would do.

As a side note my mother was diagnosed with throat cancer and had months of radiation treatment 7 years ago.. She has thankfully been cancer free since then. I would think with this kind of family history the Doc would be more apt to look into my symptoms?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #11
    overcommingpain
    (female)

overcommingpain HB User

Hello Gloom,
    I just wanted your opinion on some updated information...2 months ago when I had my antibodies tested they came in at <10 reference range 35.
    My new doc (ENT) tested my antibodies last week and they came back 230 , reference range 40. My ENT also did a thyroid biopsy and it came back positive for Hashimotos thyroiditis.

Is this normal??

Closed Thread