It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroiditis (Male - Please Help)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
    Nick2682
    (male)

Nick2682 HB User
    Thyroiditis (Male - Please Help)

Hello,

I'm having trouble finding stories/forums of thyroid issues for 20 or 30 something males, everything I read is female based. I'm a 28 year old male otherwise very healthy. I recently went to my GP as I was constantly sweating, off balance, ringing left ear, intolerant to heat and fatigued easily, I would also say my cognitive brain function was somewhat impaired. I got a host of blood tests completed which showed I was extremely healthy other than an overactive thyroid. I had some more tests completed which showed the following readings.

Free T4

Range - 11.0-22.0

pmol/L

Free T3

Range - 3.0-6.2

pmol/L

TSH

Range 0.40-4.20

mIU/L

At that point I was referred for an iodine uptake test which showed low uptake, I remember seeing some type of reading of 0.2 but don't have the test to hand. There were no nodules etc. 7 weeks later more blood work was completed and my thyroid levels have not moved. I saw an endocrinologist who believes it may be silent thyroiditis, problem is I can't find anything anywhere on the net about guys my age with this issue, and whether it can heal itself. I've been prescribed Inderal which makes me feel terrible and doesn't help at all, in saying that I never really suffered from tremors anyways.

Can you provide me some advice or thoughts? How long long can these things hang around for? Is it reasonable to expect that if it is thyroiditis my bloods won't have changed for 2 months? I have a suspicion it could be mild graves, I unknowingly took a multivitamin the day of the uptake scan that had 50mcg of iodine in it which could have blocked the uptake.

Thanks,

Nick

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
    Re: Thyroiditis (Male - Please Help)

Well first off. Women for some reason have much more problems with their thyroid than men. But I don't think there is any difference in how between women and men in how the thyroid works or doesn't work.

Looks to me like your lab results are classic hyperthyroid. TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is basically zero, and your thyroid hormones are in the upper range. Plus symptom's of hyperthyroid, because T4/T3 are too high. TSH produces no symptoms by itself, the only receptors for it are in the thyroid. Consider yourself lucky your doctor nailed it first try.

My assumption is you would next have antibody tests for autoimmune disease. Maybe your doctor has already done those? If not he should.

I think from what I've read it seems thyroiditis is any inflammation of the thyroid that has an unknown cause and goes away by itself. Going away happens over a time frame of months unfortunately. Graves is an chronic autoimmune disease. I can't give you advice except that maybe you should consult with with endocrinologist. If it were me, I'd get the antibody tests done, then see the endocrinologist. Because otherwise he'll order them and ask you to see him in a few months.

And to be a bit patient, thyroid disease is really annoying, but doing a full workup to be sure what's actually going on takes a while. You wouldn't want to have acute thyroiditis which goes away on it's own, and have the doctor say, administer radioactive iodine and leave you with under-active thyroid. So getting this right is very important.

If you realized that you took a multivitamin with iodine the day of the test, then you should call the lab and ask them about it. And mention that to your doctor.

PS: Ask you female relatives about thyroid issues. They almost certainly know someone with exactly your problem. Also thyroid diseases can make you really unhappy, but they are treatable but aren't going to kill anyone who is otherwise healthy.

The Following User Says Thank You to gloom For This Useful Post:
    Nick2682 (03-12-2013)
    Old 03-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
    Nick2682
    (male)

Nick2682 HB User

Hi Gloom,

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

I had the TSH receptor antibody test completed previously and it was negative 1.1. Which I believe is consistent with Thyroiditis.

I've asked my family about thyroid history and it seems nobody either male or female have suffered from it.

It could be completely coincidental, but just after christmas I came down with a bout of food poisoning (Campylobachter Jejuni) which last about 10 - 14 days, I never recovered from this which is when I went to get extra bloods tested and the Thyroid issue arose. During the food poisoning bout I was laying down on my lounge one night when I felt my heart started jumping out of my chest and my temperature rose very quickly, my temp went to 40.3 degrees and my heart rate was 160bpm. This lasted about 2 - 3 hours and I went to the hospital, they basically said it was an unknown virus causing this and sent me home when my temp and heart rate slowly came down. I can't help but now think it was that point that my Thyroid began releasing excess hormone into my system.

I guess from here it's just a waiting a game and fingers crossed my thyroid levels self regulate, it's currently impacting all aspects of my life including work and social, the anxiety and foggy head is intense.

Thanks,

Nick

Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The type of thyroid disorder you have isn't familial. It's one of those unlucky flukes. Even though women are more prone to every type of thyroid disease, that doesn't in any way mean that men don't get it. The course of the disease is the same for both sexes, however. Whatever information you find, consider that it applies to you.

If your gland was/is painful when you swallow, move, or touch it, the diagnosis would be subacute thyroiditis. If it isn't, then silent thyroiditis is more likely. Here is the URL to a useful webpage that describes what it is and how long it will last:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001425/
    (You'll have to copy and paste the address into your browser bar.)

Hope you'll feel better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
    Nick2682 (03-12-2013)
    Old 03-12-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
    Armourman
    (male)

Armourman HB User

Hey Nick...I feel you. I just started a new thread as well. Hopefully, if If others show interest, I will be posting info that you will find helpful. I was diagnosed with graves disease twenty years ago. In short, I had a hyper thyroid just like you....Let me tell you that most of your symptoms are due to your High FT3..The ringing in the ear for example is a classic sign of it, but most doctors don't even mention it..... sadly Most doctors are bound to a TSH result which by the way,in your case, is in line with a hyper thyroid. Do you take anabolic steroids or supplements for body building? do you smoke? do you have heart palpitations and sweating?...say goodbye to coffee and any caffeinated drink..I am dead serious..it will make your symptoms unbearable..stay away all stimulants until you are fully diagnosed and under control...The doctor may place you on meds to slow down your thyroid, but the side effects are nasty,,,,been there done that...You may receive a radio iodine solution to wipe your thyroid and be placed on replacement hormones....If so, make sure you are placed on T3/T4 meds rather than T4 only..its the diff between living and just being alive....keep me posted of your progress....good luch

Old 03-13-2013, 12:35 AM   #6
    Nick2682
    (male)

Nick2682 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Armourman View Post
    Hey Nick...I feel you. I just started a new thread as well. Hopefully, if If others show interest, I will be posting info that you will find helpful. I was diagnosed with graves disease twenty years ago. In short, I had a hyper thyroid just like you....Let me tell you that most of your symptoms are due to your High FT3..The ringing in the ear for example is a classic sign of it, but most doctors don't even mention it..... sadly Most doctors are bound to a TSH result which by the way,in your case, is in line with a hyper thyroid. Do you take anabolic steroids or supplements for body building? do you smoke? do you have heart palpitations and sweating?...say goodbye to coffee and any caffeinated drink..I am dead serious..it will make your symptoms unbearable..stay away all stimulants until you are fully diagnosed and under control...The doctor may place you on meds to slow down your thyroid, but the side effects are nasty,,,,been there done that...You may receive a radio iodine solution to wipe your thyroid and be placed on replacement hormones....If so, make sure you are placed on T3/T4 meds rather than T4 only..its the diff between living and just being alive....keep me posted of your progress....good luch
    Hi Armourman,
    Thanks for the reply, in answer to your questions.
    - No I do not take steroids, but yes I have taken many over the counter body building supplements over the years, all legal.
    - Never tried a smoke or any illegal substances in all my life
    - sweating has subsided somewhat, it was unbearable at the start, I live in Sydney which is hot at the best of times and it is the middle of summer.
    - I have the odd palpitation, my resting heartrate before all this was about 47 bpm, I always measured this due to my sporting activities, my resting rate is now about 65-70bpm, even when I wake up first thing in the morning.
    I'm hoping I don't have to go down the path of radio iodine solutions etc. All my research and advice from my doctor tells me it's not Graves, and is most likely silent Thyroiditis which is temporary with a chance of permanent hypo complications (Fingers crossed this is the case)
    You are right about the caffeine/stimulants, before all this happened I was a 2x coffee a day man with the odd energy drink thrown in, probably about 300mg of caffeine per day, when my thyroid issue started I went complete cold turkey on the caffeine, I reckon i've possibly confused some of the caffeine withdrawal symptoms with hyper systems, cloudy head etc, albeit none of those symptoms have gone away even though its been 2 months since my last coffee. I tried one coffee a couple of weeks back, and boy it nearly blew my head off. Instant panic attack and a huge heart rate.
    The main thing bugging me at the moment is the dizziness and cloudy slow foggy head.
    I'll keep you posted, i'm due for another uptake scan and bloods in 3 weeks.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #7
    Nick2682
    (male)

Nick2682 HB User

Hi Armourman,
    Thanks for the reply, in answer to your questions.
    - No I do not take steroids, but yes I have taken many over the counter body building supplements over the years, all legal.
    - Never tried a smoke or any illegal substances in all my life
    - sweating has subsided somewhat, it was unbearable at the start, I live in Sydney which is hot at the best of times and it is the middle of summer.
    - I have the odd palpitation, my resting heartrate before all this was about 47 bpm, I always measured this due to my sporting activities, my resting rate is now about 65-70bpm, even when I wake up first thing in the morning.
    I'm hoping I don't have to go down the path of radio iodine solutions etc. All my research and advice from my doctor tells me it's not Graves, and is most likely silent Thyroiditis which is temporary with a chance of permanent hypo complications (Fingers crossed this is the case)
    You are right about the caffeine/stimulants, before all this happened I was a 2x coffee a day man with the odd energy drink thrown in, probably about 300mg of caffeine per day, when my thyroid issue started I went complete cold turkey on the caffeine, I reckon i've possibly confused some of the caffeine withdrawal symptoms with hyper systems, cloudy head etc, albeit none of those symptoms have gone away even though its been 2 months since my last coffee. I tried one coffee a couple of weeks back, and boy it nearly blew my head off. Instant panic attack and a huge heart rate.
    The main thing bugging me at the moment is the dizziness and cloudy slow foggy head.
    I'll keep you posted, i'm due for another uptake scan and bloods in 3 weeks.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
    Nick2682
    (male)

Nick2682 HB User

Two questions -

1) How do you know when you're switching from Hyperthyroid to Hypothyroid, has anyone gone through this before? Other than the obvious tell tale symptoms as i'm reading a lot of symptoms are similar?

2) How long does it take for thyroid hormone to break down in your blood, for example, if you were hyperthyroid and your thyroid suddenly stopped producing hormone, how long would it take to work out of your system and most likely end up hypothyroid?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2013, 07:43 PM   #9
    Nick2682
    (male)

Nick2682 HB User

Hello all,

For anyone who is curious, and anyone out there in the same situation, I wanted to let you know that Thyroiditis (Silent, Sub-Acute or Postpartum) does get better. Since my last post i've started feeling much better. Still nowhere near 100%, but i'm certainly able to go about my business a lot more comfortably. My T3 & T4 have come down on there own, no medication required. My T3 was 6.1 and my my T4 was 17.6 about two weeks ago when I was tested, TSH was still basically non-existent, 0.0005. My Endo tells me this should come back in 6-8 weeks and he is almost positive it's not Hashi's due to my blood work, something to do with anti-bodies. I still feel rubbish, but everyday is getting better. My cortisol was through the roof during the whole process but that is also coming down as my thyroid hormones reduce. I haven't been tested for a couple of weeks but I think my thyroid is slightly underactive as i'm now putting weight on. It was very depressing early on, but it does get better.

Nick

Old 09-30-2013, 03:22 PM   #10
    Spencer1
    Veteran
    (female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

How are you doing now? Still great? No medication necessary??

Could you exercise?

I had the same thyroiditis.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
    Nick2682
    (male)

Nick2682 HB User

Hello Spencer1. Doing much better thanks. Still not 100%, always slightly dizzy and little fatigued, but overall I'm much better. Started lifting weights a few weeks ago, & no dramas walking long distances now. No thyroid medication necessary, I'm taking a tiny dose of anxiety meds currently as my health anxiety was through the roof.

Closed Thread

Tags
    graves disease, hashimoto, help for thyroid, hyperthyroid, thyroiditis