It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Please help me read: My Thyroid Peridoxase 12/<35 and Thyroglobulin Antibodies 20/<20

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
    Butlerkx
    (female)

Butlerkx HB User
    Please help me read: My Thyroid Peridoxase 12/<35 and Thyroglobulin Antibodies 20/<20

Please help me read:

Thyroid Peridoxase Antibodies are 12 ref <35 IU/mL
    Thyroglobulin Antibodies are <20 ref<20 IU/mL

I have several symptoms of thyroid disorders: fatigue, weight gain, brittle hair, etc. Does this mean I don't have Hashimotos and that my thyroid is normal?

Last edited by Butlerkx; 03-11-2013 at 09:01 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: Please help me read: My Thyroid Peridoxase 12/<35 and Thyroglobulin Antibodies 20

Those aren't enough tests to say whether your thyroid is normal.
    They are tests for the two antibodies that cause Hashimoto's. The peroxidase can be called mildly positive, which may or may not be "normal". The thyroglobulin result is negative. These two tests have a false-negative rate of up to 20%, so they miss some cases of Hashimoto's disease. There are other ways to diagnose it despite negative results of these tests.

If you had tests for TSH, T4, and T3 levels, we would have to see those with their lab ranges to give you more information.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
    Butlerkx
    (female)

Butlerkx HB User
    Re: Please help me read: My Thyroid Peridoxase 12/<35 and Thyroglobulin Antibodies 20

Thanks. I'm going to an Osteopath who has a very expensive diet/plan for people with these issues and these are the tests he ordered. Do you feel more tests are needed to be done to confirm a diagnosis?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Yes, you must have more tests. It isn't so necessary to discover Hashimoto's as it is to know whether you're hypothyroid. The most accurate tests to diagnose hypothyroidism are free T4 and free T3. A TSH test sometimes reveals it, but the FT4 and FT3 are most critical.

Beware of claims that the hypothyroidism caused by Hashimoto's can be cured or controlled by diet. That isn't true. It takes supplemental thyroid hormone in an optimal dose for the patient's needs.

Closed Thread

Tags
    thyroglobulin antibodies, thyroid peroxidase