It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid nodule or parathyroid tumor?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
    MeganY24
    (female)

MeganY24 HB User
    Thyroid nodule or parathyroid tumor?

Hello! This is my first time posting. For the past few weeks I've been experiencing a ton of weird symptoms which may or may not be related. I had an abdominal ultrasound done after having sharp pains that revealed cortical scarring and a 5mm cyst on my right kidney. Ten days ago I woke up with a cramp in the back of my right thigh that processed into a burning spasm accompanied by tingling and numbness that last the entire day. The next day I started feeling a tightness in the left side of my neck and pain under my ear and in my jaw. The pressure in my head got so bad that I went to the ER and demanded a CT scan because I believed I was having a stroke (or a TIA). The CT scan showed a nodule on my thyroid, so I didn't have a stroke (yay!). I went in for bloodwork at my PCP's office to check my thyroid levels and everything was normal. The only that was elevated was my BUN and BUN/creatinine levels, so I will assume that my kidney function is less than perfect. My calcium levels, total protein and albumin were all borderline high. My calcium was 10.2 which would put me in the hypercalciemia catagory according to most labs. I've done my research on elevated calcium levels and poor kidney function and everything points to hyperparathyroidism. Now I'm confused because I've read that CT scans can't pick up parathyroid tumors. I'm also in a bit of a predicament because my dr has schedule a thyroid scan and reuptake and I'm currently breastfeeding. I spoke to the nuclear medicine tech who told me I would be radioactive and unable to breastfeed for 10-14 days. Has anyone been through a similar situation. Have any advice?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Thyroid nodule or parathyroid tumor?

What kind of doctor are you seeing? Why are you having an "uptake scan"? You should see an ENT or an endocronologist if there is really a thyroid issue, and get an ultrasound and needle biopsy of any nodule if it's a concern (over 1cm) --- but there's no medical need for an uptake or nuclear scan if your blood work is "normal"--especially if you are nursing.

Why don't you post your "normal" thyroid blood work here for people to look at and help you with.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
    MeganY24
    (female)

MeganY24 HB User

TSH-0.821 0.450-4.500
    Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab- 7 0-34
    Antithyroglobulin Ab- <20 0-40
    Thyroxine (T4)- 8.4 4.5-12.0
    T3 Uptake- 32 24-39
    Free Thyroxine Inex- 2.7 1.2-4.9

Old 03-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

There's no reason for an uptake scan---if the scan is an ultrasound, then that's fine and won't effect anything. You should try to get to a better endocrinologist.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
    MeganY24
    (female)

MeganY24 HB User

I don't even have an endo, just my PCP. They explained it to me that the uptake scan is to determine if the nodule is hot or cold because I have a higher chance of it being cancerous because my levels are normal. Is that not right? It doesn't even make a difference to me what it is, I just want it out because I feel like its crushing my artery and my head feels like its going to explode 90% of the time. I've tried every kind of prescription and OTC headache medicine that I know of and nothing relieves the pressure in my head and neck.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Can you go to an ENT or a endo? Can you get a referra if you need one---or just go ask around and go to a good one you find? This radioactive test isn't necessary any more---you can go straight to ultrasound and fna and go from there. MD Anderson if that's anywhere near you is great for this, but any ENT can do it, as can many endo's (my endo has an ultrasound machine in his office and does the fna right then and there if he sees a nodule).

Tell the doctor (if you can't see another) that since you are nursing you can't have the radioactive test, and you'd like the ultrasound instead, and perhaps that doctor will order one if you can't for some reason see another doctor.

How big is the nodule? If it's around 1cm or larger, they can do the fna/needle biopsy, if it's much smaller you may have to watch and wait.

I don't know if that nodule is an incidental finding---or if it's causing symptoms, usually a nodule doesn't cause any symptoms unless it's very large, and then it causes constriction type symptoms. Hope you find a good doctor to help you.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Standard of care for investigating whether a thyroid nodule is cancerous is an ultrasound guided FNA biopsy. Nothing else is of any use at all. End full stop.

Small nodules are really common and often found exactly as in your case. Anything less than 10mm is usually followed up later with an ultrasound to see if it gets bigger.

Your thyroid blood work is normal. In particular your TSH is flat out 'perfect'. Radioactive uptake isn't indicated.

I'd get a referral to an endocrinologist poke at him about your calcium levels and other odd symptoms.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
    MeganY24
    (female)

MeganY24 HB User

I'm not sure they gave me an exact measurement but I know it's over 2cm. I'm going to call my Dr in the morning and ask for a referral. Thank you so much for your help!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #9
    amylynns
    (female)

amylynns HB User

So what are they thinking this nodule is?? It sure sounds like you have the parathyroid tumor symptoms.

I'm in the very beginnings of seeing if I might possibly have a parathyroid tumor. I have alot of the symptoms, but just started researching it this week. My calcium levels have been at about 9.6 for well over a year--so not quite in the "high" range, but so close. My liver enzymes have also been high and I have horrible bone/joint pain, heart palpatations...etc. I was also diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis--but that is even in question now.
    I had some labs done, getting an ultra sound done next to start the process here of seeing more what's going on.

Anyway---Back in 2007 I was diagnosed with Graves disease---and I had to have that uptake test done. I was also nursing--and was told I couldn't nurse either. I ended up quitting nursing all together. I pretty much dried up during that time. :-(
    My daughter was about 6 months old. But I HAD to have this test done to see what exactly was going on in there so we could get it treated. You could probably pump and dump if you want to keep nursing. I was already supplementing with formula, working 40 hours a week--so it didn't seem to be a hard transition for my daughter--alot harder on me than her.

I'm not sure if I can be of any help, but feel free to ask me anything.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #10
    amylynns
    (female)

amylynns HB User

I should add, I wish I'd know to check on the internet for info BEFORE I had these tests done--because I found out later (like some are saying on here) that it could have been diagnosed without having that uptake done.

Closed Thread

Tags
    parathyroid problems, thyroid nodule