It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Parathyroid issue? Or just crazy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
    amylynns
    (female)

amylynns HB User
    Parathyroid issue? Or just crazy?

Here's my background. Diagnosed in Nov 2006 with Graves, 2 months later (Jan 2007) diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis after having severe hand pain. (started in just the hands, has now moved everywhere basically)
    After about a year on meds for the Graves, it went into what I guess I'll call remission. ( I ended up self-medicating after my Dr put me into a hypothyroid state and intended to leave my there)
    My thyroid labs have been pretty much in normal levels after weaning myself off the meds over that year or so.

So, over the last 6 years I took prednisone, then plaquenil (SP?), then methotrexate, then enbrel, then humira for the RA. Still had pain every day on some level. Some days a level 2-3, some days a level 8-10. But pain everyday of some sort. I was seeing the same rheumatologist this whole time. I had x-rays, MRI's and DEXA scans and labs every 6 months.

Last year, I started having abnormal heart palpatations, Dr called them SVT's. Put me on a med that caused me to swell up horribly (retain water) and made me feel exhausted ALL DAY LONG. I called with concerns about this med and they added a water pill basically. (normally prescribed for high blood pressure--which I DON'T have)

Had to switch Dr's this year because of insurance issues. Ended up getting referral to a rheumatologist at a big University Hospital. (top knotch in the state)
    So I just saw this new Dr in January---along with the head of rheumatology Dr. They ran labs, did x-rays of my hands and feet, and did an MRI (of hands)

They are now saying because of the test results of what they ran, they do not believe I even have RA?!

They offer no explanation of what I could have, or why some labs are abnormal.

I also saw a cardiologist at this University and since the meds aren't working completly (he said I should not be having ANY of these epidsodes I'm having at all) he suggests an ablation procedure where they go in and basically burn the artery/vessel or whatever it is, lol (?) that's mis-firing. It doesn't sound all that fun, so I've been holding off on it.

So after doing some of my own on-line research, I'm wondering if all along I've had something going on with my parathyroid??
    There's a web page I found that lists symptoms and I have about 8 of the 15 listed. ( I can list these if needed)

Does anyone know anything about this?????
    I have lots of lab results if you ask me which ones might help? Most current ones done 2 days ago.
    The ones that were abnormal were:
    Low Vit D level, liver enzymes, positive ANA, High Sed rate. My calcium level has been around 9.6 or so for quite some time. (So not offcially "high")
    I have osteopenia also.
    I can't think of anything else right now, LOL.
    Thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #2
    Reece
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
    Re: Parathyroid issue? Or just crazy?

Why don't you post your "normal" thyroid numbers with lab ranges? People here can help you determine if that's really the culprit all along,

Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #3
    amylynns
    (female)

amylynns HB User

Oh sure--these are the most current:
    3/14/13
    FT4 1.35 ( .82- 1.77 )
    TSH 1.95 ( .450- 4.500)
    Vit D 11.1 ( 30-100 )
    Calcium 9.6 ( 8.7-10.2 )
    Sodium 142 (134-144 )
    She also ran a PTH test, which was normal.
    27 ( 15-65 )
    And she ran a Hep A,B and C---all negative.

Back on 1/3/13 these were done, at a different lab (if that makes any difference?)

TSH/ Reflex ( I don't know what that means? the reflex?)
    2.40 (0.27 - 4.20)0
    Then these were the ones listed as abnormal:
    ALT 29 ( 0- 20 )
    SED Rate 21 (0- 21) This is typically in the high 20's.
    CRP .5 ( <.5 is normal) So borderline there...
    ANA Sceen Positive
    ANA Titer 1:90 (<1:40, normal)

Then, last June my TSH was 1.80 ( .27-4.20)

I don't have all my labs with me--but I know my liver enzymes have been high for over a year, which is why she ran the Hep tests. But to my knowledge I've never been exposed to it--but it was negative anyway.:-)

So.....hopefully that helps??
    Let me know if there's others you might question and I can grab them from home later.
    Thanks so much!!

Old 03-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Your labs would not indicate a parathyroid problem, as your calcium and parathyroid hormone are perfectly normal. However, with your sed rate usually in upper 20's, borderline high CRP, positive ANA, and the symptoms you have, it could be lupus instead of RA. RA causes erosions in the joints. I would get a copy of your MRI and xray reports of hands and see if erosions are present. Did you ever have a positive rheumatoid factor in blood? Lupus causes very similar symptoms and can affect the heart with SVT and other arrythmias. I would look in past labs to see if anti-DS DNA or Smith antibodies were ever tested, and ask Dr to do work-up for lupus. Also, with your Vit D being so low, that can cause achy pain in legs and arms and osteopenia from poor calcium absorption. I hope you were put on Vit D supplements, like 5000 units a day for a month then 2000 a day or a similar regimen. Also, you might look at the lupus board here and review the sticky notes at top of page for diagnostic criteria and alternate symptoms, and just see how many match up. A beta blocker is usually used, or a calcium channel blocker, for SVT, and at the lowest possible dose that controls your SVT episodes. I would explore medical treatment before considering ablation, personally, since it is non-invasive. If you have only tried one med, there are others to try, and keeping dose low will keep side effects away or minimal. Placquenil and MTX and Prednisone are used on both lupus and RA, so those may help if still on them, Prednisone being the least desirable long term (causes osteoporosis among many other SE). I would see a new cardiologist at the University since you had to switch anyway for a second opinion on the SVT treatment. Let us know how this all turns out and best wishes.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
    amylynns
    (female)

amylynns HB User

As far as the bone erosion--my first rheumatologist did MRI's and he said bone erosion was present. ( I have the MRI and notes from him) BUT I just had MRIs done of my hands again at the university hospital and this is what their report says:
    History: Hand pain. Rheumatoid serology is negative. History is of
    erosive changes on MRI 2007.

Findings:
    Left hand: There is no evidence of acute fracture or dislocation.
    There is no evidence of synovitis or joint effusion. T1 marrow signal
    appears preserved. There is mild increased nonspecific T2 seen
    involving the dorsal contour the lunate without evidence of discrete
    erosive change. There are mild degenerative changes seen involving the
    first carpometacarpal articulation. MCP joints appear preserved.

Right hand: There is no evidence of acute fracture or dislocation.
    Scapholunate interval appears preserved. There is no evidence of
    synovitis there is a small amount of joint fluid. There is radial
    sided cystic change seen involving the lunate, nonspecific may
    represent interosseous ganglion without other evidence of erosive
    change. There are mild degenerative changes seen involving the first
    carpometacarpal articulation. MCP joints appear preserved.

Impression: Nonspecific finding bilaterally which may be related to
    early degenerative change/interosseous ganglion formation without
    evidence of synovitis or multifocal erosive change.

My rheumatoid factor was 8 , <14 normal. I do not recall every seeing anti-DS DNA or Smith antibodies tests done. But I'll take a look in my old labs to double check.
    My Dr prescribed a prescription strength Vit D, I have to pick that up today. I'm not sure what the dosage is.
    I am on a beta blocker right now, but it's not controlling the SVT's completely. They had me on one other med along with this one, but it completely exhausts me and caused me to retain an enormous amount of fluid in my thighs/legs. And it still didn't completely take care of the SVT's. Cardiologist says I shouldn't be having any episodes at all. I have about 4-10 a week. But I was having more than 10 a day before meds!

I am not on any meds right now for the "rheumatoid" because I have been controlling my pain/symptoms with my diet, for the most part.... (and when I lost insurance back in 2011, I couldn't afford the meds) But the methotrexate was one that did seem to at least take the edge off. None of the others did much--especially prednisone, Ick.--hate that stuff!

I will for sure check out the lupus board and sticky notes, thank you!

Closed Thread