It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Hypothyroidism causing Endometriosis symptoms?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2013, 02:28 AM   #1
    CharlieSays
    (female)

CharlieSays HB User
    Hypothyroidism causing Endometriosis symptoms?

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice from others who may have been in this situation.

I'm 28 and have had various symptoms since I hit puberty. From the start, I've had very heavy periods, ongoing depression, digestive problems (either nausea/sickness, constipation, gas or general pain/swelling), dizziness/fainting (usually when standing up) and very little energy (I was always too exhausted to study or do much of anything, but just put this down to laziness - haha). I've learned to deal with it as an adult, but just the thought of having to do any exercise is a pain (I still make sure I walk a few miles a day, chase the dog around the park, etc to keep my circulation up - I should be used to it by now). But I could sleep for England!

In the last 7-8 years the above has got worse and I've felt cold pretty much constantly, really tired and lethargic (I sleep fine), my head feels like it's full of glue and I can't focus properly, my periods have gotten worse, causing anemia (so I get muscle cramping in legs, blue lips/nails, difficulty breathing), and I now get random pain and bleeding even when I'm not due on. I ended up in A&E over New Year, as it felt like my appendix had burst, but they said this was just another symptom of heavy periods. I've tried various pain killers, but they don't do a lot these days and aren't worth the side effects. I've tried eliminating certain food in case I had an intolerance or something, but it doesn't make any difference. I just try to eat very healthy now.

I've been to therapists/psychiatrists on and off since highschool for the depression/lethargy and have tried several different antidepressants. The last of which just stopped my digestion working (constipation and then just being sick if I tried to eat properly), so I've stopped taking anything aside from multivitamins + iron. For the record, I have no reason to be depressed. My life is pretty good aside from health issues.

I've been treated for suspected endometriosis due to the high amount of blood I lose and the anemia as a result. In the last few years, I've started to just look like a zombie. My skin is drying out (used to be very oily) and I've had to cut my hair, as it's just thin and lifeless now (was very thick at one point). It just feels as though my whole body is gradually slowing down and will stop completely at some point. I look really pale and have massive dark rings under my eyes that I can never completely hide with makeup, and my boyfriend always moans that it's like hugging an ice cube. I'm wearing several layers of clothing in a heated office and still shivering. It sucks! : (

I was scheduled to have a laproscopy, so the doctors could look inside, but after my last check up with a different doctor she said I could have hypothyroidism and has sent me for a blood test to check thyroid, B12, iron, hormones, etc (pretty much everything).

No one has ever said anything about my thyroid before, so I'm completely stumped now! I don't have a swollen neck, and manage to keep my weight around normal (I was overweight when younger and do have to be really strict, but then most people do). I'm certainly not obese. Has anyone else had this? Can hypothyroidism cause endometriosis symptoms like the ones I've listed above? If they fix my thyroid, will it fix everything else?

Secondly, I HATE blood tests (massive phobia - I don't have enough blood as it is, so my brain freaks out at the thought of losing more), so is there any other way of keeping track of thyroid symptoms without regular blood tests? They've agreed to take it out of my hand this time, but even that is a nightmare. I'm terrified at the thought of having to do this every year for the rest of my life if they do find something wrong!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread