It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• low TSH and Nature Throid

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
    beccavan
    (female)

beccavan HB User
    low TSH and Nature Throid

I'm having a terrible time finding a doctor to understand why the low TSH labs do not reflect the same as synthetic meds. Just got another new doctor who had never heard of Nature Throid but was willing to work with it. I was on 3.5 grains when first blood work was performed. TSH was .0004 and T-3 and T-4 were within acceptable range. She immediately took me down to 2 grains. I made an appointment two days later to see if I could convince her to look at T-4 and T-3 and ignore TSH. Complete with documented statements about this, I gently gave her all the printed information I had. Still she would not raise it insisting we had to get it within medical range. This is the 6th doctor to accept me and say they will work with N.T. but can't get them to leave it alone and quit telling me how I should feel. Having had a complete thyroidectomy in 2010 I know I need more than 2grains. How do I make them understand without insulting their abilities as professionals?

The following user gives a hug of support to beccavan:
    FinnMaid (03-24-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #2
    northfortyfarm
    (female)

northfortyfarm HB Usernorthfortyfarm HB User
    Re: low TSH and Nature Throid

I've had the same trouble with the dr.s here in SC trying to adjust my levothyroxine. I know what dose I function on, but they insist on going by the tsh & lowering my dose until I'm practically comatose. At least my new dr will look at the free t's & will prescribe armour or cytomel if we decide to go that route. So frustrating though :-(

Old 03-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #3
    midwest1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
    Re: low TSH and Nature Throid

To paraphrase the very wise woman who explained it here some time ago... (with the hope I've interpreted it all correctly)... here goes:

In someone who takes levothyroxine for hypothyroidism, some of that exogenous T4 converts to T3 in the liver. Higher blood levels of T3 drop the amount of thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH) from the hypothalamus to the pituitary, thereby lowering the blood level of TSH. But when the patient adds T3 to their daily intake of T4, that direct supply of T3 increases the TRH suppression by four times that of T4 alone.

Additionally, a direct supply of T3 stimulates somatotropin release-inhibiting hormone (SRIH) production, which further inhibits TSH production independent of actual T4/3 blood levels.
    [OK, I don't pretend to completelyi understand the SRIH part, but if an MD paid attention in Endocrinology 101, he/she should!]

I hope that helps, at least a bit.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-24-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Closed Thread