It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Thyroid Nodules Biopsy Results Help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
    thyroiddepressn
    (male)

thyroiddepressn HB User
    Thyroid Nodules Biopsy Results Help

Hi,

These are the results of the Ultrasound, followed by the results of the biopsy, can anyone give me some advice? Should I be on medication? Major symptoms are irritability, spitting in the morning (Could also be because I have quit cigarettes last 4 months), hard to swallow sometimes but rarely. Thank you.

Results of the ultrasound came:

"Ultrasound of the Thyroid With Duplex Doppler:

The left lobe of the thyroid showed multiple nodules. The largest was more proximal in location measuring 8.5 x 9.5 x 12 mm and showed a very thick hyperechoic margin with isoechoic center. Two additional similar nodules were seen in the anterior part of the left lobe measuring 8.5 and 4.5 mm respectively. In addition, the left lobe shows an abnormal texture. It appears quite hypoechoic and has micronodular pattern in it. These types of findings are quite suggestive of Hashimoto's disease.

The isthmus appeared normal.

The right side showed a somewhat different appearing nodule in the lower pole, which showed an echogenic texture and relatively thin hypoechoic border. It measured 7.2 x 9.5 x 13.4 mm.

An additional smaller nodule was seen in the medial aspect of the right lobe, which showed the appearance similar to the lesions on the left side with thick border measuring 6 mm in diameter.

Duplex Doppler study was obtained, which showed surprisingly extensive vascularity involving the thyroid lobes but especially the nodules with very vascular borders but also in the texture.

Diagnosis:

The complex findings suggested underlying texture of possible Hashimoto's disease. In addition, three nodules were seen on the left side and two on the right side in addition to a few micronodules and microcysts. The nodules were unusual in appearance as described and the largest on the left side may warrant a needle biopsy."

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
    thyroiddepressn
    (male)

thyroiddepressn HB User
    Re: Thyroid Nodules Biopsy Results Help

Results of Biopsy:

Anatomical Diagnosis

Left lobe of Thyroid (FNAB):
    - Blood only

Right lobe of thyroid (FNAB)
    - Scanty strips of follicular cells with no significant cytological atypia
    - Background with numerous siderophages
    - HBME-1: Negative
    - Consistent with follicular lesion with degenerative change.

Macroscopic Description:

Received in 3 tubes:
    #1 Labelled Left Thyroid Biopsy, consists of a scanty amount of brown sediment.
    #2 Labelled Right Thyroid Biopsy, consists of a 0.1 ml of black sediment.
    #3 Labelled Right Thyroid Biopsy, consists of a scanty amount of brown sediment.

All 3 were submitted in toto in 1 cassette for FNAB

Thank you.

Closed Thread