It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• Biopsy results - not as specific as hoped

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
    CindyinAtl
    (female)

CindyinAtl HB User
    Biopsy results - not as specific as hoped

I wonder if you could look at my results and comment. First are the sonogram details, followed by the biopsy comments for the largest nodule. Does it sound like to you that the biopsy samples weren't good? She took samples from 4 different locations. She verbally told me that only 2 groups of cells were good instead of the 6 that they wanted. But the comments say only one wasn't obscured by blood. I don't know what that means. She wants to do another sonogram in 6 months. Is this the indeterminant results that some here talk about? I was hoping for a black and white, yes or no answer. It sounds like this will be hanging over my head for the rest of my life while they monitor.

Sonogram:
    FINDINGS - The right lobe of the thyroid is normal in size measuring 4.7cm long X 1.3cm AP X 1.8cm transfverse diameter. There are at least 5 hypoechoic cystic and solid nodules identified scattered throughout the right thyroid gland ranging in size from 4-8mm in greatest diameter.

The left lobe of the thyroid measures 5.6cm long X 1.6cm AP X 1.6cm transverse diameter. Within the inferior pole of the left lobe of the thyroid is a dominant solid nodule measuring 2.5 X 1.5 X 2.0 cm. Within the midportion of the left lobe of the thyroid is an additional hypoechoic solid nodule measuring 1.2 X 0.5 X1.1 cm. Finally, there is a tiny hypoechoic nodule in the midportion measuring 4 X 3 X 3 mm.

IMPRESSION: Findings consistent with multinodular goiter. As there are no reliable sonographic criteria to distinguish a benign from malignant nodule, further evaluation with ultrasound-guided FNA may be of benefit.

Biopsy (of the 2.5cm nodule):
    Gross Description - REceived one vial of CytoLyt and one vial of FNAprotect, each labeled with Req Form # and patient initials.

Microscopic Description:
    Theh cytologic preparations show scant scattered groups of thyroid follicular cells, most of which are obscrured by blood. These groups are generally flat and appear benign, but only one of the groups is well visualized.

Comments:
    Although no concerning features are identified, cytologic assessment of this lesion is limited by the presence of obscuring blood and limited cellularity.

Last edited by CindyinAtl; 03-26-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: type-o's

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
    Re: Biopsy results - not as specific as hoped

I'm no professional concerning thyroid cancer, but from what I understand your nodule came back as being benign, which means you're alright.

The vast majority of thyroid nodules are benign (over 95% I believe), and even in case of malignancy, the majority of thyroid cancers are very slow, often taking years to develop. Because of that they are rarely fatal since they can easily be caught "early" and treated accordingly.

I'd say your doctors are doing the right thing getting you tested again just to make sure nothing was overlooked, but judging from statistics AND the fact that one group was well visualized and that they all appeared benign...

Maybe someone who knows a bit more about thyroid cancers could confirm, but I'd say you're good

P.S. I was recently tested for multiple myeloma... worst time of my life, so I can relate with having this "hanging over your head".

Last edited by light472; 03-26-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
    CindyinAtl
    (female)

CindyinAtl HB User
    Re: Biopsy results - not as specific as hoped

Should I be concerned that they could only use two of the four samples they took? And that of those two one of them was obscured by blood? I'm worried they could only use one really clear sample for a 2 1/2 cm nodule. The doctor didn't seem concerned. But I keep picturing another part of the nodule sitting there having cancer cells in it.

Cindy

Closed Thread