It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

• New to board, thyroid questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #1
    HayDay
    (female)

HayDay HB User
    New to board, thyroid questions

Hi everyone, I've been having thyroid issues for a while and have now resorted to this website to see if there's anyone else in the same boat as me. Let me tell briefly tell you my history...

I got pregnant at 23 and found out while I was pregnant that I had hyperthyroidism. (I made my dr check me for it since thyroid issues run in my family. At first, my dr wouldn't check it bc she told me that I wouldn't have been able to get pregnant if my thyroid was off. Sure enough, I was right.)

I was never put on meds during pregnancy and ended up having preeclampsia and had to be induced. (Which I later found out could have been caused by my hyperthyroidism)

The dr suspected that I would go from hyper to hypo, then balance out and have a normal thyroid after delivery. I was sent to an endocrinologist to find out that I have a 5mm nodule on the right side of my thyroid and went hypo. He made me come back 3 months later to confirm that everything was normal. Well, I was hyper again!

Long story short, it's been almost two years of tracking my thyroid and it has constantly gone from hyper to hypo every three months and my dr. Hasn't put me on any medication bc of the ups and downs of my thyroid. I just had another ultrasound and the nodule hasn't grown and I had a thyroid uptake scan and my dr called to tell me the results were normal but he still needed me to come in and talk about the results. This confused me.

I'm tired of living like this and am either really energetic and get anxiety or am really depressed to where I feel like I need help. I'm embarrassed for my own husband to see my body bc my skin is so dry, it's literally flaking off. It's disgusting and there's no lotion on the market that helps. We're wanting to start trying for another baby soon but I know we shouldn't until my thyroid is under control.

Thyroid cancer also runs in my family.

Is there anyone out there that went through the same thing or knows someone that has? If so, what was your final diagnosis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
    HayDay
    (female)

HayDay HB User
    Re: New to board, thyroid questions

I also wanted to add that I'm having very irregular periods. They're lasting about two weeks, then I start bleeding again a week later. My gyno prescribed me a progesterone pill to stop the bleeding bc she said its not healthy to bleed that much. Not to mention, I feel like I have absolutely no energy.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
    HayDay
    (female)

HayDay HB User

Bump. Desperate for advice.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User

I wish someone else with a bit more experience would answer you, but from what I know you might be suffering from hashimoto's thyroiditis, why is the leading cause of hypoT in westernized countries.

You didn't mention what tests were done or the values you got. If you don't have your lab results I suggest you go get them so we might have a better idea of what's going on.

Hashimoto's disease is an auto-immune disease, which means your body's immune system turns against its own tissues, in this case your thyroid gland. This can be detected in most cases (about 90%) by testing for Anti-TPO and Anti-Tg.

What happens with hashimoto's is that your thyroid has trouble functionning normally, which leads to hypo symptoms. But every now and then you'll get some hyperT spikes from thyroid tissues being destroyed and releasing a sudden wave of thyroid hormones (or so I've read). Some people with worse luck than others will get test results all over the place, sometimes hyper, sometimes hypo. Others will test normal simply because they got tested at a time their hormones were somewhat balanced.

I don't think you mentioned whether your symptoms did swing with your blood tests, meaning you were indeed feeling hyper (anxious, shaky, restless, fast pulse, feeling warm) for months or if you have mostly hypo symptoms (fatigue, extra need for sleep, weakness, depression, dry skin, hair thinning). As far as I know hashimoto's tends to give mainly hypo symptoms with some hyper episodes every now and then.

If this is your case, you'd then have to work with your doctor or by yourself using diet, supplements and life style changes to try and regulate your immune system so that you don't swing from hyper to hypo all the time. You could also try taking replacement hormones to see if you could get to feel better by taking so pressure off your thyroid.

Of course I'm not sure this is your case, and I'm no professional, but seeing how you wanted a reply I thought I'd give you my two cents

The Following User Says Thank You to light472 For This Useful Post:
    HayDay (03-26-2013)
    Old 03-26-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
    HayDay
    (female)

HayDay HB User

I appreciate your reply. Unfortunately, I can't find my last test results. I know my endo did test me for hashimotos disease and be said I didn't have it but he still can't explain to me why I'm fluctuating between hypo and hyper. I'm having all symptoms for hypo and hyper at the same time, other than the depression. It comes and goes, even when I'm hyper. Even with the depression, I'll still have a rapid heart rate randomly. I told my dr this and all he could say is "Haley, your thyroid is very confusing... When I think you're going to low, you go high... Vice versa"

Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
    gloom
    (male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Mostly what I can say, is I wouldn't worry too about the nodule, since it's small and doesn't seem to be growing. And the only serious thyroid (anaplastic thyroid cancer) cancer only effects old people and doesn't appear a a nodule.

Other tidbits I've learned in my recent adventures. Maybe 10-20% of people with autoimmune thyroid disease show up as negative on antibodies tests.

And of as well it seems that besides being more common in women than men, thyroid problems show up very commonly during and after pregnancy. So it may be that, bad as it is, you may have to ride this out till your thyroid decides what it wants to do. Might return to normal, or go full time hypo.

The Following User Says Thank You to gloom For This Useful Post:
    light472 (03-27-2013)
    Old 03-28-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
    HayDay
    (female)

HayDay HB User

I never knew that bout autoimmune diseases showing up negative on antibodies tests. Why is this? I just got back from endo and my last tsh was .14 but he wants to run my blood work again and see if I've gone hypo. If I have, he said he'll finally treat me. If its normal, he wants to run some other test that sees "if my brain I'd happy with the amount of thyroid hormone I'm producing". I'm not really worried about my nodule since they are rarely cancerous, which he confirmed that its not. I'm not sure if I had thyroid issues before I was pregnant bc I hadn't checked it before. My mom is hypo and she had been telling me for years to get it checked bc she said I've always had symptoms. I'm just tired of living this way.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by HayDay View Post
    I never knew that bout autoimmune diseases showing up negative on antibodies tests. Why is this?
    First because antibodies can fluctuate between abnormal and normal results in some people. For this reason a positive test is pretty much always a sign that something is going on, while a negative test is not a sign that everything's fine.

Second, because around 10% of hashimoto's patients are "seronegative", which simply means that the tests they are currently using to detect the disease don't pick up every single case. Anti-Tg for example was about 70% accurrate at detecting hashimoto's. The newer Anti-TPO test is better, but not perfect.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #9
    trisbee
    (female)

trisbee HB User

HayDay, even without having seen your test results and the ranges that were used in your labs, my first impression was Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Just the fact that you are going back and forth between the both hyper and hypo is the biggest indicator. Some women with thyroid hormone issues will develop thyroiditis after pregnancy, but when the female hormones level off and get back to normal, the thyroid hormones do also. When the symptoms and the swinging back and forth between hyper and hypo continue to happen, then realistically, you are looking at Hashimoto's. And, to be honest TPO may or may not be present. If you have an endocrinologist worth his/her salt, after having heard your symptoms, when they began, how they progressed, and at what changes in life they were happening, you wouldn't even be on this board asking questions. That you have not been treated going between hyper and hypo is truly alarming. My advise would to be to seek out a new endo who specializes in metabolism.

The nodule is another concern. It is very dangerous to not look at treating thyroid nodules and to take the wait and see approach. Especially when someone is going between bother hyper and hypo without some type of thyroid treatment, has a family history of thyroid disease and also has a family history of thyroid cancer. There are several types of thyroid cancer, and there is also such a thing as a benign nodule. None of that has been tested in you that I saw in your posts.

Were I you, I would absolutely insist on further tests and treatment, or I would be looking in to other endocrinologists! And just and FYI, simple T4 replacement therapy (levothyroxine) not only helps level out low TSH, but also is treatment used to shrink cancerous and benign nodules and goiters.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

Wink Re: New to board, thyroid questions

Quote:
    Originally Posted by trisbee View Post
    It is very dangerous to not look at treating thyroid nodules [...] There are several types of thyroid cancer, and there is also such a thing as a benign nodule.
    Just thought I'd chime in because I felt that part was a bit needlessly alarming. About 1 in 20 nodule are cancerous.

Most thyroid cancer are very slow to develop with one of the best survival rates amongst cancers. Also, the most dangerous type of thyroid cancer does not start as a nodule if I recall correctly. I also believe HayDay had her nodule checked judging by:
    Quote:
    I'm not really worried about my nodule since they are rarely cancerous, which he confirmed that its not.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
    trisbee
    (female)

trisbee HB User

Alarm was not my intention, and I am hoping HayDay understood that. I was sharing information. You are correct in saying the most serious type does not START with nodules. But most do. And slow or not, some thyroid nodules are cancerous. And looking back at what I posted, I also said that there are benign nodules as well. I did not assume she had her nodule tested, as she did not post that. And were she being treated for her problems going between hyper and hypo, there would absolutely be a difference in the size her nodule. The point is, and this is the point I was trying to make, especially with her symptoms and familial history, is that nothing is being treated at this point. It is not wise to just accept an endo's diagnosis if he/she does not or refuses to treat even the obvious signs of a thyroid disorder.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #12
    light472
    Inactive
    (male)

Haha... My bad, I just realized I misread "there is NO such thing as a benign nodule" and I was like "Woah there! No need to make everyone panic!" XD

Old 03-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
    trisbee
    (female)

trisbee HB User

Lol...I was a bit confused by your reply...and did not understand it until this last post! No problems!!! ;-) I often do the same thing when I read through things quickly. Thanks for clarifying what you "saw!!! :-)

Closed Thread

Tags
    hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, nodule, thyroiditis